Should we be concerned about Evander Kane's recent comments?

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the folks that went off the deep end when Kane signed here and then subsequently had to eat crow were chomping at the bit to bury him again at the first opportunity.

To me that’s what all the hoopla around Kane boils down to. An opportunity to hope that one can say they were retroactively right.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I have trouble seeing what the problem is with Kane's comments. He essentially said the biggest difference between his play now vs. before is opportunity. Is that a bad thing? Don't most people perform better at work when they get more opportunity? Doesn't that give you a little extra drive when you have the opportunity for a promotion or pay raise?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Picture Kane's money paying for a third line center who elevates the tertiary role players
Picture Kane with a Flamer in each hand and still trying to get at another one. ‘What is anyone here going to do about it’. That kind of intimidation costs money and no one else on this club can pull it off. He ‘elevates’ the team just fine in his own way.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He's a bit of a yapper but on the other hand its refreshing to not hear the Charm School reply--it gets old.....

-Just have to keep working
-Win those puck battles
-Wait for your breaks
-Pick up your man coming back into the zone
-Finish the check
-We knew we had the right mind set coming in

Yawn................

That’s not even close to the same thing. Complaining about ice time and using hockey cliches to describe play aren’t remotely similar. Ice time complaints is a direct shot at your coach and your linemates. Like I said, one off- no biggie, doing it consistently is more me, me, me vs team

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have trouble seeing what the problem is with Kane's comments. He essentially said the biggest difference between his play now vs. before is opportunity. Is that a bad thing? Don't most people perform better at work when they get more opportunity? Doesn't that give you a little extra drive when you have the opportunity for a promotion or pay raise?
It depends how you interpret 'opportunity'.
It implies that playing with bottom sixers doesnt afford as much offensive opportunity. While its proabaly true its a bit of a slam to the players he was playing with before he got elevated to the top 6.
Not a huge thing but a bit of a self centered comment.
Doesnt bother me much...thats part of who Kane is.
He has always had that element in some of the things that he says.
I dont really care as long as he shows up.
If he is going to say stuff like that and contine to mismanage the puck (like he has been recently) and kill the play when its on his stick then its a problem.

Reactions: MoontoScott

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Should we be concerned about Evander Kane's recent comments?​

No

Uhh okay whatever I believe you Kane. lol.

But I do think he makes a good point about never being able to hear the media’s questions. They have these portable mics that can be moved and are designed to be moved around and yet they always point them at the player and not where actual sound is coming from.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
I think this was actually a typical generic answer, and he meant getting scoring opportunities was what made the line work.

If he personally meant himself getting opportunities to be on the second line, I like that as well, show he has drive and hungry to be apart of important minutes to score goals.

What a great dude cmon how can anyone doubt him at this point?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I like that he wants a chance. Management needs to find him a playmaker to play with though. He has never been the type to produce without a good playmaker getting him the puck.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
No
After last night's win against the Kraken, Evander was asked about his line and what was working. Evander replied, "Just getting opportunity."

It had been previously noted that Evander was unhappy about being moved out of the top 6. With the Oilers current success, it seems that everyone is buying in. Could this comment be construed as counter productive?

Again, I am not trying to create a problem when there is none. I have been a big Evander fan since he found a home in Edmonton and cleaned up his reputation. I just thought his comment seemed strange.

I need my Oilers experts to weigh in on whether I am overthinking this. Thanks!

Here is the clip: (The comment is made between 01:05 and 01:14)
People are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Nothing to worry about

I think that everyone being so concerned about his answer is a concern
Yep. Typical these days social media has broken a lot of folks

Reactions: Stoneman89

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately the reality is that Evander Kane has become dissatisfied on every team hes on. His best moments on any club have been within first two seasons. Evander is falling out of that one of the top finishers stratosphere he was around here. Hyman for instance has left him in the dust in both team play, finishing, being best he can possible be etc. If the OP was talking about Draisaitl there would be twenty posts about him "moping" Drai has been playing with Foegele and McLeod for an extended run, now recently Kane. Drai decided to make lemonade out of that, not bitch and moan. Drai essentially last 25 games has been playing with bottomsix players.

So why the double standard? Its acceptable for Kane to make these sorts of comments and not others?

I look at it differently. My take is if you ARE Evander Kane, and you are only here because the Oilers were one of the few teams in the NHL even willing to throw him a life line you should be avoiding any controversy. Be a boy scout. the one thing Kane cannot and should not be here is any kind of distraction. Best behavior only. It just is what it is. Thats his circumstance that he contributed to.

Count me as a bit worried because Kane has now made these statements multiple times this season. Combine this with him being a streak scorer and he can really get into funks. its not new to him. Kane has not scored for 6 games. He's only potted 3 in last 20 games. Oddly, and this typifies Kane scoring, this comes after an 8G/8games heater.

Gonna frame this differently too. What kind of team guy would say Drai or Nuge or Hyman or McD be if they frowned in playing with bottomsix players? Which often enough happens. and keeping in mind Drai is a superstar and NEVER complains.

What are bottomsix players on this team supposed to think when somebody who isn't a superstar considers playing with bottomsix players as not even an opportunity. Is Kane saying that or suggesting it? Maybe not, but shut the yap because its not something you state within team concept. If a player called him out on the comment he'd have a right to. If I'm Derek Ryan, Sam Gagner, Even McLeod I'd not be thrilled at the comments being repeated. Its my take that Kane isn't just complaining about minutes he's potentially complaining about where he is in the lineup. But two coaches in a row, and coaches before this have slipped Kane down the lineup. Sometimes for reason.

Kane is also age 32 now. He's likely going into a phase where he's a 20 goal scorer. Kanes top 3 G/G seasons have all been on his FIRST full season with clubs. Kane has deficits in his game for topsix. He's not a good passer and he's oddly not near where he should be as a cycle player.

Finally Kane now an older player is only 1minute lower per game at 17.5mins/game on average than his career average. What exactly IS he complaining about?

The "just getting an opportunity" comment is not in isolation. When Kane has mentioned this before its been complaining about where he is in lineup or his minutes. He could pick his words better.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Quicker version of the post. Kane should realize by now he's playing on a different nature of club right now. His only other contender team was SJ, a club fractured with problems in the room and players complaining. This is the first good room Kane has been in since Winnipeg. On such a room if you happen to be any of Drai, Nuge, Hyman etc you don't complain being slotted down the lineup. None of these players do complain about it, ever. They see it as OPPORTUNITY. They see it as growing their own game and their importance on a line being the driver of a line. Is Kane saying he can't be that or that he doesn't want it. Because sometimes within a team concept it falls on you to be the guy to try to get some scoring and production down the lineup. All the others have been in the position.

If Kane doesn't realize this than he needs to learn it and earn it. Kane is NOT a better player here than any of McDrai, Hyman, Nuge. Does he consider it odd when he drops down occasionally when all the others have no problem with it?

Kane, like anybody needs to put team in front of ego. Period.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Unfortunately the reality is that Evander Kane has become dissatisfied on every team hes on. His best moments on any club have been within first two seasons. Evander is falling out of that one of the top finishers stratosphere he was around here. Hyman for instance has left him in the dust in both team play, finishing, being best he can possible be etc. If the OP was talking about Draisaitl there would be twenty posts about him "moping" Drai has been playing with Foegele and McLeod for an extended run, now recently Kane. Drai decided to make lemonade out of that, not bitch and moan. Drai essentially last 25 games has been playing with bottomsix players.

So why the double standard? Its acceptable for Kane to make these sorts of comments and not others?

I look at it differently. My take is if you ARE Evander Kane, and you are only here because the Oilers were one of the few teams in the NHL even willing to throw him a life line you should be avoiding any controversy. Be a boy scout. the one thing Kane cannot and should not be here is any kind of distraction. Best behavior only. It just is what it is. Thats his circumstance that he contributed to.

Count me as a bit worried because Kane has now made these statements multiple times this season. Combine this with him being a streak scorer and he can really get into funks. its not new to him. Kane has not scored for 6 games. He's only potted 3 in last 20 games. Oddly, and this typifies Kane scoring, this comes after an 8G/8games heater.

Gonna frame this differently too. What kind of team guy would say Drai or Nuge or Hyman or McD be if they frowned in playing with bottomsix players? Which often enough happens. and keeping in mind Drai is a superstar and NEVER complains.

What are bottomsix players on this team supposed to think when somebody who isn't a superstar considers playing with bottomsix players as not even an opportunity. Is Kane saying that or suggesting it? Maybe not, but shut the yap because its not something you state within team concept. If a player called him out on the comment he'd have a right to. If I'm Derek Ryan, Sam Gagner, Even McLeod I'd not be thrilled at the comments being repeated. Its my take that Kane isn't just complaining about minutes he's potentially complaining about where he is in the lineup. But two coaches in a row, and coaches before this have slipped Kane down the lineup. Sometimes for reason.

Kane is also age 32 now. He's likely going into a phase where he's a 20 goal scorer. Kanes top 3 G/G seasons have all been on his FIRST full season with clubs. Kane has deficits in his game for topsix. He's not a good passer and he's oddly not near where he should be as a cycle player.

Finally Kane now an older player is only 1minute lower per game at 17.5mins/game on average than his career average. What exactly IS he complaining about?

The "just getting an opportunity" comment is not in isolation. When Kane has mentioned this before its been complaining about where he is in lineup or his minutes. He could pick his words better.
This topic is about Kane, why are you talking about Draisaitl? Every player talks about opportunity, like getting an opportunity in the top 6, getting an opportunity to play, getting an opportunity to score.

Sam Gagner:
“It’s always kind of been a part of my game trying to create offensive chances, having some poise with the puck and making plays,” Gagner said. “Ultimately, I think you have to play hard at both ends of the rink, do your best to be solid defensively, and not give up anything. Then, when you have the opportunity, you’ve got to try and create some chances . . .

Derek Ryan:
I can play second PP unit if the opportunity is there.

Warren Foegele:
"They do it every day on a consistent basis. For us being given that opportunity to play in the top six, we have to do the same."

But now that Kane says:
When asked what helped aid last night’s performance, he kept it very short.

“Just getting an opportunity,” Kane remarked.
Now that's a bad thing? Get over it.

Additionally, Kane has always been a 20-30 goal scorer, there's no "phase" where he's a 20 goal scorer. McDavid is also averaging nearly 1 minute less per game than he was last year.

Reactions: Keggatron

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
No because Kane is who he is. He's got a big personality and he's a very good complimentary forward, not a line driver. He won't succeed playing with bottom 6 forwards.

I'm pretty excited to see what he does in Calgary tonight. Games against rivals motivate him to be a pest. Kane is best as a pest! 😉

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Concerned about what? Kane is a top 6 forward who wants to play in the top 6. Kane has no place on a 3rd line with 4th line players, it never made any sense outside of a temporary message of accountability.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Kane is most effective when he plays with his swagger and confidence.

I WANT him to have that competitive fire. Dude's a beast when he's on. Much ado about nothing. Interesting timing for these concerns from people considering he just had his best game in weeks

Reactions: Sra1974

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

I WANT him to have that competitive fire. Dude's a beast when he's on. Much ado about nothing. Interesting timing for these concerns from people considering he just had his best game in weeks
People view these comments through the lense of their bias for or against the player in my opinion. He is stating the obvious, when you play down in the lineup you play less minutes with less offensive players. Both of those add up to less opportunities to score. He is on the second power play unit which is pretty token on this team as well. We want him to want more for himself. Its only a problem if he quits on the team, which I do not think we are seeing any evidence of or he becomes an issue in the locker room, which none of us has any clue about.

Right now I still see him as important to this team, but I also assume he will need to be traded at some point to deal with the Bouchard, Drai and Mcdavid contracts but that’s an off season problem.

Reactions: EchoesoftheEighties

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Kane is a shooter not a line driver. Imagine waxing on about how he can’t pass or cycle the puck (stick handling isn’t great either tbf), and then with the same breath lamenting that he can’t drive a third line. Uh, of course he can’t. It’s not his skill set.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Kane totally made that first goal happen for all you "second assist tho" folks. His pressure down load winning the board battle and getting the puck to drai who's pass was a formality.

I'd much rather have a guy who wants to do good and succeed than some lucic type content to collect his 6m a year and never stick up for his teammates.

Reactions: harpoon

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
I think at this stage, everyone on this team should be focused on the end goal of winning the cup and being a consistent player leading into the playoffs.

Irrespective of how someone might feel, they should do their part wherever they are playing and with whatever minutes they have.

Kane might make comments like he does, but as long as he’s there with his teammates when it goes down, I don’t think it matters. So far, he’s done exactly that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Unfortunately it seems that a lot of the folks that went off the deep end when Kane signed here and then subsequently had to eat crow were chomping at the bit to bury him again at the first opportunity.

To me that’s what all the hoopla around Kane boils down to. An opportunity to hope that one can say they were retroactively right.
FTR I was one of the biggest fans of Kane coming here. Can't speak for others but I was the one immediately spelling out that the rumors from SJ and from the ex were false. That said theres nothing wrong with Kane being expected to play around the lineup. Its not always going to be playing with McD or Drai. It seems Kane is chaffed about that.

People view these comments through the lense of their bias for or against the player in my opinion. He is stating the obvious, when you play down in the lineup you play less minutes with less offensive players. Both of those add up to less opportunities to score. He is on the second power play unit which is pretty token on this team as well. We want him to want more for himself. Its only a problem if he quits on the team, which I do not think we are seeing any evidence of or he becomes an issue in the locker room, which none of us has any clue about.

Right now I still see him as important to this team, but I also assume he will need to be traded at some point to deal with the Bouchard, Drai and Mcdavid contracts but that’s an off season problem.
Not sure who you refer to in that. Again I wanted Kane here. Supported it all along. But Kane should accept all usage and recognize that KK is using minutes very well and spreading them out to keep the players fresh. Why is Kane complaining. We know before when he made the comment it was complaining about minutes and usage. Well he did it again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Tell me you didn't think Kane was invisible on the road trip. Kane was doing little on that trip and not even hitting much. Some of those games his shifts were so nothing it was hard to tell he was on the ice. On the eastern road swing the only forward hitting was Adam Erne. The only one responding to cheapshots as well.

The comment from Kane comes after he's been back with Draisaitl. I'm glad on one hand Kane likes playing with Drai, thats normal. But the team gets more out of players when we can utilize guys like McLeod and Foegele with Drai and see if we can drop a couple guys to third line to outmatch opposition. The trouble with Kane is he won't get much of anything done on third line. Kane had weeks where he wasn't getting it done. Kane should be owning ice playing on a third line being isolated against mixed opposition.

This kind of thing is lost in the midst of the enormous success the team is having but every night it seems on the backs of the same core of players. Kane needs to be one of those players the team can depend on to be somewhat reliable.

Last edited:

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Play better and you get better opportunities. Quit bitching to the media. Oiler fan does not take well to selfish players.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Concerned about what? Kane is a top 6 forward who wants to play in the top 6. Kane has no place on a 3rd line with 4th line players, it never made any sense outside of a temporary message of accountability.
Of course it makes sense in a topnine attempt to balance minutes and spread the wealth. The team has had ample success when we've at times switched Nuge to third line and he's never complained. Hyman has been there two. Drai often plays with two bottomsix type players on line. It allows the team to establish lines that all have something on them. Its interesting that Kane thinks (does he) that he's too good to do what Drai, McD, Nuge, Hyman readily accept? The comment isn't in isolation. The last time Kane was complaining about minutes he was also upset about being in bottomsix. I don't see his view on this as particularly attractive within a team concept.

I wonder too how much Kane is bummed out not being on the first unit PP. Even though alll the players on it are far better at it than he is. KK has spread the minutes out to relieve McDrai of some of their overuse. Kane is getting exactly the type of minutes one would expect a 32 yr old to get. So is he just complaining about where he sits on lines and PP? The latter is selfish, if that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad