Should we be concerned about Evander Kane's recent comments?

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
After last night's win against the Kraken, Evander was asked about his line and what was working. Evander replied, "Just getting opportunity."

It had been previously noted that Evander was unhappy about being moved out of the top 6. With the Oilers current success, it seems that everyone is buying in. Could this comment be construed as counter productive?

Again, I am not trying to create a problem when there is none. I have been a big Evander fan since he found a home in Edmonton and cleaned up his reputation. I just thought his comment seemed strange.

I need my Oilers experts to weigh in on whether I am overthinking this. Thanks!

Here is the clip: (The comment is made between 01:05 and 01:14)

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
hes driven to play in the top 6 because thats where his value is. NHL players dont get their feelings hurt and cry about they. they just want a fair coach that will give them the opportunity to play their way back to their spot. Knob so far has done this and the players always respond to it.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
I think he’s more frustrated about his injury. Leons fed him a lot last night so he can’t be whiny about lack of opportunity (if he ever was) and his team is on a heater.

If he wants to stay in the top 6 he needs to score when a top 5 passer feeds him all game. Thats what Hyman and Foegle are doing

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
After last night's win against the Kraken, Evander was asked about his line and what was working. Evander replied, "Just getting opportunity."

It had been previously noted that Evander was unhappy about being moved out of the top 6. With the Oilers current success, it seems that everyone is buying in. Could this comment be construed as counter productive?

Again, I am not trying to create a problem when there is none. I have been a big Evander fan since he found a home in Edmonton and cleaned up his reputation. I just thought his comment seemed strange.

I need my Oilers experts to weigh in on whether I am overthinking this. Thanks!

Here is the clip: (The comment is made between 01:05 and 01:14)

They dissected this comment in GYB pod last night because it was Rishaug who asked Evander the Q. Cant recall who if it was Strud, Brown or someone on the chat said, maybe it framed as a positive response (as opposed to snark), that he had opportunity to make some plays last night. It’s Evander, I wouldn’t get too crazy twisted over his comments.

EDIT - I too have always liked Evander‘s game and his comportment since coming to Edmonton has been notably positive and professional on and off ice. He’s human, there’s occasional minor slippage but all in all a good signing by GMKH. I hope EK can get healthy (he’s dealing with something) and be a monster in the late part of the season and play offs. This team needs EK hitting on all 8 cylinders. (Oilers burn hydrocarbons, they don’t drive e-cars).

Last edited:

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
He also just finished a physically and mentally exhaustive challenge it’s pretty tough to turn around and suddenly give well worded answers to a media scrum. Ask him the question again today and you probably get a better answer

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
Watching Kane walk out for the pre-game skate yesterday, he was hobbling like Tiger Woods at Augusta after coming back from his car crash. He's definitely fighting through some injuries but there are not many players I'd want for a long playoff run on this team over him. He'll be a difference maker when it counts as long as he can get healthy.

All this noise about Kane is just that. I was more concerned about Brown's hissyfit slamming the door at practice for the 1 game he was scratched against the Devils because apparently, in his mind, it wasn't deserved.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Honestly, I'd be concerned if he wasn't concerned

We need players with an edge, people that want to be competitive...someone upset with themselves and as a result the demotion is a good thing...now if he was saying he's playing his best hockey and shouldn't be on the third line...that would be an issue

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It's nothing. Everyone knows including Evander when it comes to playoffs, he will be in the top 6 doing damage. McLeod and Foegele most likely get dropped when they're cold come playoffs time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
No, close thread. WTF 726 posts.

I heard the opportunity line too. It’s nothing. Zero need to drum up negativity when this team is on this historical heater. Especially when Kane produced in the 2nd line too.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
No, close thread. WTF 726 posts.

I heard the opportunity line too. It’s nothing. Zero need to drum up negativity when this team is on this historical heater. Especially when Kane produced in the 2nd line too.
bro is an OG from '03 gotta show em some respect :naughty:

ill give em a pass on this one, players didn't talk like this in '03 lol

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
bro is an OG from '03 gotta show em some respect :naughty:

ill give em a pass on this one, players didn't talk like this in '03 lol

Lol Okay I thought he was new. I’m always suspicious when new posters drum up negativity.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Threads like this are why 99% of hockey players just give the most basic cliche answers to media. Any time you’ve got a guy who is more candid with the media their responses are always over analyzed and people try to find deeper meaning to them. Credit to Kane for looking beyond that and still being willing to give honest responses that aren’t right out of the handbook.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol Okay I thought he was new. I’m always suspicious when new posters drum up negativity.
726 posts is new now? lol

I do think it's funny that Oiler fans have convinced themselves that Kane couldn't possibly be a bit temperamental. I think he probably is pissed about playing on the third line, and I bet players in the locker room are aware of his feelings on the subject (considering he brings it up to the media as much as he does). I don't think it's hurting the team, and I'm sure he'll get going and continue to be an important player down the stretch. But there's a reason we have a player like him at the cap hit we have him at. You have to take the good with the bad.

I also like that in the same thread we have people complaining about Connor Brown being upset after getting scratched, but when Kane does it it's his "competitive fire". I think it's probably safe to assume that Connor Brown is more pissed about how things are going here so far than any of us are (though at least he can buy a lambo to make himself feel better).

Back to Kane, I don't think it would kill them to give a shift or two with PP1 here and there. He brings a different element to the PP, maybe him replacing Nuge gives them a different look when it's struggling (just for a shift here and there, I understand that Nuge is an elite PP player). Might get him more involved offensively.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
726 posts is new now? lol

I do think it's funny that Oiler fans have convinced themselves that Kane couldn't possibly be a bit temperamental. I think he probably is pissed about playing on the third line, and I bet players in the locker room are aware of his feelings on the subject (considering he brings it up to the media as much as he does). I don't think it's hurting the team, and I'm sure he'll get going and continue to be an important player down the stretch. But there's a reason we have a player like him at the cap hit we have him at. You have to take the good with the bad.

I also like that in the same thread we have people complaining about Connor Brown being upset after getting scratched, but when Kane does it it's his "competitive fire". I think it's probably safe to assume that Connor Brown is more pissed about how things are going here so far than any of us are (though at least he can buy a lambo to make himself feel better).

Back to Kane, I don't think it would kill them to give a shift or two with PP1 here and there. He brings a different element to the PP, maybe him replacing Nuge gives them a different look when it's struggling (just for a shift here and there, I understand that Nuge is an elite PP player). Might get him more involved offensively.
I don’t think I have ever read that.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'd be concerned if he wasn't making comments like this.

He is a competitor that badly wants to be in the middle of the game, and when he isn't he can't be at his best. Having said that, accountability comes with it, so if he is complaining and then playing like a dog when given more opportunity then that's a different story. Last night was his best game in a long time and I think we'll continue to see more of that if he continues to challenge himself and the team challenges him to keep it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad