Should the Wild keep some gas in the tank for the playoffs?

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Should we save some energy for the playoffs? The Wild are going all-out most games which should tire the guys out. Will we be able to win 16 hard fought games in the playoffs--can we keep winning at this pace?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wild should keep doing exactly what they are doing. If they lose the mojo, it can be a lot harder to get back than simply trying to maintain it.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Wild should keep doing exactly what they are doing. If they lose the mojo, it can be a lot harder to get back than simply trying to maintain it.

+1. If they stop doing whatever they are doing, they will really risk it. The only thing I would advocate is if they have the Division locked up (lets be real, we all want another banner regardless) with 10 days remaining in the season: I would expect players to see their minutes dwindle and other players get a ton more.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Sorta depends on where everyone else is. Do whatever you can to get the top seed. Home ice through the playoffs would be huge.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, you can't stop playing hard, but I would agree with rotating substitutions of personnel, especially if it's the second game of a back to back and they've won the first one. Give Suter, Koivu, Spurgeon, etc. the odd day off should the Wild get way up. Figuring out the backup goalie situation is key, as is giving Doobs some rest before the playoffs.

It is premature to talk about it now, though. Let's wait till March.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Regulate minutes, don't let injured players push themselves, sit Dubnyk when appropriate.

Other than that, keep it pretty status quo.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Keep it going! I would just like to see Keumper take a few more starts. Maybe as the season is wrapping up a few more important skaters can get a night off, but for now don't slow down!

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
with about 20 games left i would start to rotate giving players a day off to try and keep them fresh for the possible playoffs run. (hate to assume anything). i always remember the northstars 90/91 run. had to beat chicago & stl the #1 & #2 points teams then played edm who happened to be the defending cup champs so i believe we ran outta gas against the pens. not taking anything away from super mario or jagr.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Steady the course harder! Ride the Doobs! Punch babies! Bovine growth hormone smoothies! Branson space naps! Couric blood baths! Reverse taxes! Wolverine jock straps! Jennifer Lawrence beans! Whatever it ta-- whew, getting tired from all this excitement

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Steady the course harder! Ride the Doobs! Punch babies! Bovine growth hormone smoothies! Branson space naps! Couric blood baths! Reverse taxes! Wolverine jock straps! Jennifer Lawrence beans! Whatever it ta-- whew, getting tired from all this excitement

I want to party with you.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I say keep the pace up, but don't try to push a hell of a lot harder just yet. Start ramping it up into overdrive the last few games of the season to go into the playoffs like a bulldozer equipped with JATO rockets.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Keep doing what they are doing until they at least clinch at a Playoff spot. I don't care if they win the Pres trophy or are the #8 seed.

Dub and Kemps splitting the starts after the bye week would be nice. They would each get 2 a week.

I just want the team healthy for the Playoffs.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
You're all being sucked in. I'll admit the Wild have gone to extraordinary lengths to suck us in this year. I even caught myself last night thinking, "wow, this is a pretty good team." But then I remembered.... this is all part of the annual plan to make us think the team is good, right before they fall off a cliff.

When I look at the standings, I look at our points vs. the last wild card spot and calculate how long a losing streak we can withstand before we fall out of a playoff spot. Currently, we're up to 8 games I think. Tough to lose that many but still doable.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You're all being sucked in. I'll admit the Wild have gone to extraordinary lengths to suck us in this year. I even caught myself last night thinking, "wow, this is a pretty good team." But then I remembered.... this is all part of the annual plan to make us think the team is good, right before they fall off a cliff.

When I look at the standings, I look at our points vs. the last wild card spot and calculate how long a losing streak we can withstand before we fall out of a playoff spot. Currently, we're up to 8 games I think. Tough to lose that many but still doable.

It's 10, but that would require all of the WC teams going on 10+ game winning streaks.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It isn't really a question of running out of gas, is it? It's not like they're playing desperate, no mistakes hockey right now. They aren't in the position they were the last several years of needing darn near literally every point, so they aren't using all of their energy. Instead, they're playing smart, skilled hockey at a normal pace and winning. Why would they want to stop doing that?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
for the nay sayers , you do realize 95 points should make the playoffs and we only need 24 points to get there. last 33 games we only need to go 12-21! it would take a worlds end disaster to miss the playoffs from this point. (famous last words).

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
for the nay sayers , you do realize 95 points should make the playoffs and we only need 24 points to get there. last 33 games we only need to go 12-21! it would take a worlds end disaster to miss the playoffs from this point. (famous last words).

Like... Dubnyk getting injured long-term? :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad