Should the Rangers re-brand?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd say yes if they weren't the New York Rangers.

If you think about concepts for new or third designs all you come up with is based off the Statue of Liberty, the cityscape, Tex's Rangers (whatever that was) - They are very difficult subjects to come up with something new and exciting (while still making sense), unlike teams that have animal mascots like the Predators, Coyotes, Panthers, etc. almost every other team in the NHL you can easily come up with new concepts for.

The Rangers should keep their classic style and logo forever. If you visit www.icethetics.co there are some really great concept jersey submissions. The Rangers never have anything remotely good, because they are a terrible subject for a rebrand.

Like, yeah. This is disgusting.
http://www.icethetics.co/concepts/2016/9/30/nyr-freak-out

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
As a Ranger fan for over 50 years, I must say that I loved the Liberty jerseys. Still my favorite of all Ranger jerseys and wish they could bring them back.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I hate the shield and the Rangers lettering as a logo, and the colors do nothing for me either, but it's not terribly important all things considered.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I honestly like the heritage thirds. I think the majority of my jerseys have been the regular home jerseys, but I liked the Winter classic a lot as well. If I get a new jersey, I think it would be one of those thirds. I want to make sure Buchnevich sticks, first.

I was a big fan of the Liberty jerseys. I still have the one my parents got me for Christmas '02 when I thought putting my name on the jersey was cool. It was #8, so i might just strip the name and get Klein put on.

I like the jerseys as they are. It might be cool to see what a more modern design might look like for argument's sake, but I'd never want them to actually implement it.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

If you think about concepts for new or third designs all you come up with is based off the Statue of Liberty, the cityscape, Tex's Rangers (whatever that was) - They are very difficult subjects to come up with something new and exciting (while still making sense), unlike teams that have animal mascots like the Predators, Coyotes, Panthers, etc. almost every other team in the NHL you can easily come up with new concepts for.

The Rangers should keep their classic style and logo forever. If you visit www.icethetics.co there are some really great concept jersey submissions. The Rangers never have anything remotely good, because they are a terrible subject for a rebrand.

That's a good point. The only validity "The New York Rangers" has as a name is tradition & longevity. It's older than us, we learned it as kids, it doesn't sound odd, even though it is when you think about it. No one thinks of the Texas Rangers (the original inspiration - a kind of 19th-century mounted militia that fought Indians - not the baseball team) when they hear our team name.

So best not to mess with it.

Here's a Texas Ranger:

Texas_Ranger_1846.png

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Love the jerseys, that's why I pick the rangers when I first started watching hockey way back in the day.

You don't rebrand something that's been pretty consistent for 90 years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i like the third jerseys from the winter classic...so pretty.

the normal blue and white are flawless the way they are...change nothing.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Yep, this is 100% the issue. In order to really change things up they'd have to move from the Rangers entirely. Something that will probably never happen. I guess it's better this way because I will never spend the big bucks on a jersey.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I'd say no as someone who works in this kind of field. Some brands are just cemented the way they are - that's something to strive for, not to shirk away from IMO. Coke's logo has essentially been the same forever. Apple has altered colors but hasn't ever actually changed their mark. Compare that to Pepsi and Windows for example, which change all the time.

Like other people in here, I'd say keep tweaking the thirds as cool new concepts come up, maybe rotate the stadium series jerseys in now and then if possible for a little treat, but keep the mains essentially the way they are. They're timeless.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
As someone who has spent their career in marketing and advertising, the answer is an emphatic no. The Rangers are a legacy brand. Brands are incredibly difficult to build and rather easy to screw up. You can play around the edges but the value of this brand is enormous. Probably third strongest brand in NYC Metro behind Yankees and Football Giants.

Want to see an example of what can happen when you try to rebrand?

"We want Fishsticks!"

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
As cheapshot said - whites at home!! I think I recall the reason why they switched to the darks at home was when the 3rd jerseys started making their way into the league, teams on the road would have to pack extra equipment if the home team decided to wear their alternates. Now teams just travel with their whites.

I am in the minority but I would love a game or two a year where the Rangers wear the Ferguson jerseys. I actually like those but it's probably because that was my first year as a fan, those were the jerseys. Maybe I modified version of those jerseys.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Definitely, this team needs a re-branded logo. Something like a pitbull buttf***king a komodo dragon while firing a rocket launcher off the top of the statue of liberty at Osama bin Laden. And the pitbull is wearing the classic NYR sweater in a nod to tradition.

What do you guys think?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Definitely, this team needs a re-branded logo. Something like a pitbull buttf***king a komodo dragon while firing a rocket launcher off the top of the statue of liberty at Osama bin Laden. And the pitbull is wearing the classic NYR sweater in a nod to tradition.

What do you guys think?

I'd say it's probably best to have that as a beer league logo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00