Should the NHL Introduce these Rule changes?

Should the NHL Introduce these Rule changes?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I wouldn't mind the first one

I wouldn't mind the second one if it was only in cases where they didn't pull their Goalie for the delayed penalty, pulling the Goalie is just too much of an advantage with the total safety of the play being blown dead if the other team touches the puck to still have a penalty after if you score with it

no to the last one

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nah. The only one I don’t mind is the SHG cancelling the penalty.
Edmonton might finally get a cup if the first one goes through lol

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Include options to only enable the ones you want to, with 3 choices it's not too difficult.

Right now, it's impossible to vote yes because the third rule is absolutely idiotic.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
The following three on-ice rule changes will be introduced starting with the 2023/24 Champions Hockey League season:

• Minor penalties dealt the same as major: a team which caused a minor penalty will remain shorthanded even if the opposing team score a goal
  • Serving delayed penalties: a minor penalty will be served even if a goal is scored while a delayed penalty is pending
  • Shorthander erases current minor penalty: if a shorthanded team score, the minor penalty against will end
Do you thin the NHL should introduced them as well?
First one existed up until the 50s Canadiens had the rest of the league waving the white flag and the league changed it.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I think they should ger rid of the puck and play with a beach ball instead. How fun would that be?

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I’m of the opinion the league should look into increasing 5v5 scoring and decreasing 5v4 scoring. I don’t know exactly how. These options do not accomplish any of that.
They could increase 5v5 scoring by enforcing the rules and calling penalties with more consistency. At the beginning it would be like 05-06 when teams were on the PP half the game but they need to force the players to adapt, instead of allowing the players to bend the rules.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
No. If you want to generate more offense without relying on gimmicks, then modernize the offside rule, as the existing one slows down the game when the game has objectively been made better as it has gotten faster.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
The CHL rule changes are just as good as the special jersey for top scorer they have.

EkTJUBsWoAE8Ucs

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Hot take. WE don't need higher goal scoring. Higher goal scoring just reduces the value of a goal and makes them less exciting.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
No to all three, easily. Powerplays are the least entertaining part of hockey. Call the rulebook like it is or even call it like the playoffs all year, just be consistent. But stop changing things that don't actually make the spectator experience more fun.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Hey why not eliminate all penalties!!! let the players decide, no more refs that's two less people on the ice, you guys want more 5 on 5 and less powerplays that should do it. I'm pretty sure a good portion of you guys don't remember the dead puck era of early 90's I do, and watchin paint dry was way more exciting then watch NHL hockey back then. So having more 5 on 5 is not the way to go to improve the game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Shorthander erases current minor penalty

This one is really exciting. Huge momentum swings. I'm all for it. I don't really see much purpose in the other two. I like offense up to a point, but more PP time / PP scoring doesn't do much for me.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
First two: the last thing we need is to give the refs even more incentive to swallow their whistles towards the end of games.

Shorty canceling the PP: this just isn't rational, lol. If you want to add a gimmick I can think of more logical ones.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Hey why not eliminate all penalties!!! let the players decide, no more refs that's two less people on the ice, you guys want more 5 on 5 and less powerplays that should do it. I'm pretty sure a good portion of you guys don't remember the dead puck era of early 90's I do, and watchin paint dry was way more exciting then watch NHL hockey back then. So having more 5 on 5 is not the way to go to improve the game.

I love these. "If you knew what I know, you'd come to the same conclusion. Also, what I know is superior to what you know just because I remember things more clearly."

First, the early 90's was not the dead puck era. The early 90's was one of the highest scoring and power play opportunity eras in history. So, y'know, very cool and superior memory you have there.

We've also seen the Call Everything Experiment. In the 05-07 range, the shot and scoring rates at 5-on-5 were no different from the previous 20 years. The only difference was more penalties. Calling more penalties does not substantially change what 5-on-5 play looks like. And if you don't like 5-on-5 hockey...I can't and won't attempt to change your taste, but I find that unusual for a hockey fan.

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
If you want to fix the reffing, you need to make penalties matter less. 1) and 2) do the opposite.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Putting more of the game in the Referee's "good" judgement"?

Yeah sounds good.:sarcasm:
That's right up there with "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" under terrifying things you never want to hear

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The following three on-ice rule changes will be introduced starting with the 2023/24 Champions Hockey League season:

• Minor penalties dealt the same as major: a team which caused a minor penalty will remain shorthanded even if the opposing team score a goal
  • Serving delayed penalties: a minor penalty will be served even if a goal is scored while a delayed penalty is pending
  • Shorthander erases current minor penalty: if a shorthanded team score, the minor penalty against will end

I voted yes. I'm all about more offense, and this would help it. But here's my opinion on all three:

1. This I feel could be the most overpowered one. So I'm a bit hesitant on it. And it's only overpowered because of bad officiating. Important game, tied 1-1, bad penalty given with 3 mins to go in the game, team A scores a PP goal in 20 seconds...and instead of the other team getting a chance to tie it, they have to PK another 1 munute 40 seconds still...yeah when you factor in bad penalties, it could get old.

2. I don't care much about this one. Yes/no, low impact, as it rarely happens.

3. I love this one. A lot. Scoring a PK goal gets you out of the penalty. This gears the game towards more offense, and is great.

Some additional changes I'd be open to:

4. When penalty starts - resume play where it stopped. Don't all of a sudden go start in the pk'ing team's zone. That never made any sense to me.

5. No free icing on the PK'ing team.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No to all three.

Just stop allowing teams to ice the puck on the PK. Why would you put them on the PK and then change the rule to give them a break?

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
A fairly simple way to increase offense, if that is the goal, is to widen the blue lines. Widening the blue lines makes the offensive zone and neutral zone both larger which means less offsides penalties and more breakaways.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Checked the jersey on your avatar and the time of year and yes summer time thread checks out.

The NHL is far too conservative to even consider any of these and frankly why should they when PP% was at a 35+ year high last year?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad