Should the NHL Introduce these Rule changes?

Should the NHL Introduce these Rule changes?

• Yes

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 92.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
The following three on-ice rule changes will be introduced starting with the 2023/24 Champions Hockey League season:

• Minor penalties dealt the same as major: a team which caused a minor penalty will remain shorthanded even if the opposing team score a goal
  • Serving delayed penalties: a minor penalty will be served even if a goal is scored while a delayed penalty is pending
  • Shorthander erases current minor penalty: if a shorthanded team score, the minor penalty against will end
Do you thin the NHL should introduced them as well?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
No, but they should not allow the shorthanded team to ice the puck. Should work the same as it does 5v5.

And a more controversial opinion is that in 1 goal games, if a penalty is taken and there isn't enough time for the full penalty to be served, (say the team leading takes a penalty with 50 seconds left)
the team getting the PP should either be given the full time of the penalty (or until the shorthanded team scores) or at the very least the option to play that time as on 4v3.
I've never like the idea that you could commit a major penalty with 30seconds left in a game, and only have to worry about killing 30seconds to seal the win. Not that i like the idea of extending the games arbitrarily either

Reactions: CTHabsfan

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
No to all 3. Those rules would just leave even more room for referees to affect the outcome of a game through missed calls or phantom calls.

People complain about the officiating enough as it is, imagine how much worse it would be if a team was down by 2 goals and managed to score 3 on a PP over a minor penalty that was questionable. You may think the scenario is unrealistic, but look at a team like the Oilers PP, when they are clicking they could easily do something like that.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
No, but they should not allow the shorthanded team to ice the puck. Should work the same as it does 5v5.

And a more controversial opinion is that in 1 goal games, if a penalty is taken and there isn't enough time for the full penalty to be served, (say the team leading takes a penalty with 50 seconds left)
the team getting the PP should either be given the full time of the penalty (or until the shorthanded team scores)
or at the very least the option to play that time as on 4v3.
I've never like the idea that you could commit a major penalty with 30seconds left in a game, and only have to worry about killing 30seconds to seal the win. Not that i like the idea of extending the games arbitrarily either

100% agree with this. If I'm the winning team defending in my zone in the last minute of the game, I'm 100% committing normally penalized actions left and right for three reasons: less likely to be penalized, won't have to serve the full time anyway, and even if it's called you can now shoot the puck all the way down the ice with no consequence ie easy clears and also a chance at scoring and putting the game away.

I made a thread on this years ago and got mocked left and right but why would you not abuse the rules in the final minute given all this?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Hell yeah and they should also make it so that goalies have to stay standing 100% of the time and teams get to use a special puck that is five times faster when on the powerplay

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Ligue

Sep 28, 2017
I’m of the opinion the league should look into increasing 5v5 scoring and decreasing 5v4 scoring. I don’t know exactly how. These options do not accomplish any of that.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
yes
no
no

I will add my own idea also.

A team who takes a penalty must start that penalty with the remaining 4 guys on the ice. No more defensive wizards to start the PK....

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Putting more of the game in the Referee's "good" judgement"?

Yeah sounds good.:sarcasm:
Huh? None of those have anything to do with judgment. That said, "no" from me. All of these are clearly geared towards increasing offense, which is not a problem with today's game at all.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I agree with the poster who said the full penalty should be served irrelevant of clock.

20 seconds left in the game. Team A (Up a goal) trips a player. Taking away a scoring chance. Team B gets two minutes to tie it up. Now, if within 25 seconds, Team B commits a penalty, the game is over.

Remember when the Sharks scored four goals on the major. And the call of five instead of two was questionable? Now imagine a player dives. Giving his team the full two minutes. A team scores twice on the PP to win game 7. 3-2 final. League would have a mess on it's hands. Also,it can impact parity. That may be how they look at it.

I do agree that a minor penalty should be served. Even if it's on a delayed penalty call.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
1) No
2) Yes
3) No

For the 2nd, I think that if a team can score a goal with the goalie pulled and whole letting the opposing team touch the puck, they should get rewarded by still getting a 2 minute powerplay.

Now is a good time to bring up my penalty shot argument:

A team that gets awarded a penalty shot and misses it, should still get a 2 man powerplay.

Let's say the example is being tripped on a breakaway - being tripped alone is worth the minor penalty. Since it's a high-danger scoring chance, it should have an even higher value to it. Penalty shot is a bonus, 2 min powerplay should be the standard if you don't score.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
These are all horrendous.

A minor penalty can, at most, eliminate one scoring chance. As punishment, at most, one goal can be scored. A major does not have this restriction and is reserved for egregious behavior.

The shorthanded one is just goofy. The team on the PP has already been punished by a SHG against. Now they get extra punished?

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
100% agree with this. If I'm the winning team defending in my zone in the last minute of the game, I'm 100% committing normally penalized actions left and right for three reasons: less likely to be penalized, won't have to serve the full time anyway, and even if it's called you can now shoot the puck all the way down the ice with no consequence ie easy clears and also a chance at scoring and putting the game away.

I made a thread on this years ago and got mocked left and right but why would you not abuse the rules in the final minute given all this?

You need to prove that you can get away with “normally penalized actions left and right” in the last minute of the game because I don’t actually believe that’s true.

There’s no way you should extend games that aren’t tied because there’s a PP.

Try explaining your, uh, logic to a bunch of normal non-HFBoard posters and then you’ll just get confused stares. Very few people would want this.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
You need to prove that you can get away with “normally penalized actions left and right” in the last minute of the game because I don’t actually believe that’s true.

There’s no way you should extend games that aren’t tied because there’s a PP.

Try explaining your, uh, logic to a bunch of normal non-HFBoard posters and then you’ll just get confused stares. Very few people would want this.

I don’t have the numbers you’re right. Not sure where to even start on that if someone can chime in.

The rest of your post doesn’t really have anything to do with what I said but alright.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The last thing we need is the league giving the favorites 2 hours at the end of the game to tie games up with endless madeup penalties.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No.

They use to do the 2 minutes work as a minor and the habs destroyed teams.

Serving delayed penalties even if the team scores would be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad