Should the Leafs STRIP Tavares of C If They Get Bounced again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
lol no just get reliable goaltending. The only reason they lost game 1 is because swayman is good and samsonov is bad. You can win with bad goalies but it takes a hell of lot more luck that way. You’re not trying to win seriously if you go into the playoffs with goalies like that

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
What's with all these offseason move threads in the SCF forum?

OilWagon

Jul 20, 2019
Edmonton
Was impressed by Van tonight, man it was loud. They can be somewhat fair weather occasionally but when the team is winning man they show up.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
lol no just get reliable goaltending. The only reason they lost game 1 is because swayman is good and samsonov is bad. You can win with bad goalies but it takes a hell of lot more luck that way. You’re not trying to win seriously if you go into the playoffs with goalies like that

How many goals did the forwards score again?

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Should they strip the C off Tavares and give it to someone that can better inspire the troops going into battle if they get bounced again?

I think they should, a message needs to be sent that enough is enough and it's time for some accountability.
Who do you propose they give it to?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Of course, anybody thinking otherwise is delusional.

"What does it accomplish?" The same thing sitting a player for bad performance does, sets the tone on accountability.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Taveres is as responsible for Toronto's historic debacles as much as a giraffe is responsible for global warming..

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's his fault, but mostly because his contract contributes to the mistake in roster construction.

Replace Tavares with Pietrangelo or similar game controller, and it's a cup team.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They outchanced Boston drastically in scoring chances and high danger chances. That’s a game they win with better goaltending. You don’t win playoff games with .85 sv%

You win playoff games by only scoring 1 goal though? Makes sense, expecting your goalie to shut out the other team to win is reasonable.

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Who cares who wears the C? I thought Matthews was the best player in the world. Why does he always seem to vanish when the games actually matter?
You were misled. The NHL just wants Americans to buy more merch, because that's where the money's at. Hence the media overrating an American player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A thread just to say you made a thread. Ridiculous to think wearing the "c" somehow makes him responsible for not winning a playoff series.

Fans that think JT is the whole reason why the leafs havnt went farther in the post season are silly.
I don’t think anyone thinks this.

It’s a valid question though when a team is unsuccessful to look at leadership. Maybe Tavares isn’t the guy. He’s not what he used to be and the team just hasn’t been successful. Sometimes a bit of a shakeup isn’t a bad thing. Maybe Reilly’s the guy.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Unacceptable to come out looking like a wet far in game 1 when your backs should be against the wall to shed the playoff choker label the team has. Some of this is the effect of having such a milquetoast personality as leader of the team, the Leafs never seem to come on hot out of the gate and always find themselves behind the 8 ball.

Should they strip the C off Tavares and give it to someone that can better inspire the troops going into battle if they get bounced again?

I think they should, a message needs to be sent that enough is enough and it's time for some accountability.

What a hot take question after one game- Stephen A. Smith shouts his approval.

Seriously though, terrible idea. 1) what if Tavares performs and they fail? 2) It’s also not on him, at all, as others have said. 3) This is a biggie- it’d already be a media circus. Why add to that? You don’t really have a replacement, unless Matthews really steps up. It’d be purely performative, would likely further lose an already shaky locker room- honestly, it’s a truly terrible idea, especially this early.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tavares is gone after next season anyway. His contract is up. I don’t see any circumstance that he gets re-signed. Toronto will cut all ties with him 100%.

I think if hes willing to sign at a major discount they'll keep him.

Hes made tens of millions of dollars in his career, is captain of his boyhood club and has a young family. May not have any desire to move elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad