Should Subban Have a Hearing? [CONFIRMED: No Hearing]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
So intent doesn't matter?

Subban still drove his elbow hard into the boards, right after Benn ducked his head. Didn't miss by much, either.

I mean even Anne Frank could see what he was trying to do there. :help:

(A cookie for anyone who gets that reference :laugh:)

No, not really. It should. But that isn't typically how the league operates, its optics and injuries.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
To be fair, it looks like Benn is contemplating getting back to his feet, saw Subban coming and stayed down to brace himself for the hit.

If he gets up, Subban drills him head-first into the boards with his elbow.

Pretty smart of Benn to see that cheap shot coming and duck back down to brace for it.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Weird play- Benn could have gotten up, but he didn't. Subban shouldn't really be charging at him either way, but is he responsible for not reading that Benn would tuck back down? My guess is zero games, I'm fine with zero games, could use another angle though

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If he gets up, Subban drills him head-first into the boards with his elbow.
How so? Subban's elbow in the clip is already at Benn's head height while Benn is on his knees. If Benn gets up, his head will be above Subban's elbow.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
How so? Subban's elbow in the clip is already at Benn's head height while Benn is on his knees. If Benn gets up, his head will be above Subban's elbow.

Just from watching the video in OP it looks like Benn ducks down at the last second just as Subban's elbow smashes overhead.

If Benn doesn't duck down Subban elbows his head into the boards, which likely removes any debate as to whether or not a suspension is warranted.

Seeing as how Subban "missed" here and Benn got right back up, the league will probably figure "no harm, no foul" and Subban will suit up for Game 5. :dunno:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
To be fair, it looks like Benn is contemplating getting back to his feet, saw Subban coming and stayed down to brace himself for the hit.

I was about to mention the exact same thing. Even another angle wouldn’t be able to disprove that.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Enh.

Is it an aggressive play? Definitely.

Is it a dirty play? Yeah, probably.

Is it exactly the same as the Kucherov hit? No.

In this case Benn sees the hit coming and braces pretty well (could even argue he stayed on knees solely in response to Subban). In the Kucherov case the player was largely unsuspecting and 100% defenseless.

In this case it appears Subban does make contact with the head, but a good portion is really with the shoulders and through the body. In the Kucherov case he picked the head and basically only the head.

Like, ultimately, Kucherov still only got 1 game for a play that was much worse, so I cannot see any way Subban catches a suspension here.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Looks like a bad play but if that’s the only angle I can’t see it too well and would be half guessing

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
The DoPS is such a clown show. They need to announce very specific, clear cut guidelines on what constitutes a suspension because it's so obvious shit like whether or not the player is hurt, intent, hell even the f***ing score of the game at the time a dirty play happens all matter.

It shouldn't be this hard. If a team is down 4-0 and you clearly show intent and run a guy you should be suspended the same as if it's a 2-2 tie and you happen to hit a guy in the head who doesn't get hurt.

And if you AREN'T going to suspend someone for a near identical play, you better f***ing tell the fans your thought process.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Just from watching the video in OP it looks like Benn ducks down at the last second just as Subban's elbow smashes overhead.

If Benn doesn't duck down Subban elbows his head into the boards, which likely removes any debate as to whether or not a suspension is warranted.

Seeing as how Subban "missed" here and Benn got right back up, the league will probably figure "no harm, no foul" and Subban will suit up for Game 5. :dunno:
Okay.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would say yes, but I’d also say I wouldn’t expect it based on the results and the DoPS’s history.

He was clearly going for a pretty dirty looking hit, but it just didn’t connect. The DoPS seems to care more about the results than the intent.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Benn should have been on the ground flopping like a fish and then there would have been a chance to get PK suspended. Sorry but the aftermath is what everyone looks at, since Benn is fine nobody will care in the end.

Its borderline as it is imo

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Maybe I can't be unbiased, but I've watched this so many times. Follow his left shoulder throughout the video, then watch it a few times following his left elbow through the video, then a few times watching his left glove...

Honestly it doesn't look like Subban ever hits Benn into the boards. He comes in and pushes down, leaning into Benn. It's not even close to as bad as most of you seem to want it to be.

Reactions: RickP

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If you already don't like Subban, sure clip shot from across the room on tv probably looks exactly like what Kucherov did.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Maybe I can't be unbiased, but I've watched this so many times. Follow his left shoulder throughout the video, then watch it a few times following his left elbow through the video, then a few times watching his left glove...

Honestly it doesn't look like Subban ever hits Benn into the boards. He comes in and pushes down, leaning into Benn. It's not even close to as bad as most of you seem to want it to be.

^this

People are only talking about this hit because it's Subban. I'm pretty sure Ekholm did something much more similar to Kucherov's hit a few games ago, and no one talked about it.

Subban plays on the line, and he's doing it well. Maybe one day, he'll cross the line, but that wasn't the case last night.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
People saying Benn had time to get up, that's not the point. Subban was targeting him while he was down for a reason and would've thrown the hit either way.

Should be 1 game but because Benn didn't get a concussion or injury it's none. Typical. Wait until someone gets injured to discipline lol what a joke

Reactions: RORbacon

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Weird. Thought this would have been at least a fine.

Spin the wheel! (Or in this case, flip a coin to decide whether a spin is necessary)

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
People saying Benn had time to get up, that's not the point. Subban was targeting him while he was down for a reason and would've thrown the hit either way.

Should be 1 game but because Benn didn't get a concussion or injury it's none. Typical. Wait until someone gets injured to discipline lol what a joke

I know the angle is bad on Subban's hit, but it's pretty clear he doesn't bang Benn's head into the boards like Kucherov did, at least the way I see it. Subban pushed down on Benn. Maybe other people see it differently, but that's what I see. The NHL has all the angles and considered it wasn't even worth a fine. It should have been a penalty though, for roughing and/or interference. But it's nowhere near as bad as Kucherov's hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad