Post-Game Talk: Should have worn their Gold Chrome helmets, Jets win 7-3

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Lots of unbridled optimism after this win - maybe best we keep a little perspective about our chances going forward ? It was fantastic that we won so readily but we really didn't play all that great - we had the lowest xGF of any game in the recent past,but outperformed the xGF by a lot (maybe something to do with poor goaltending by Vegas?).

I know, I know - a comparison of actual GF vs xGF is not prescriptive of how the team played, or will play in future, but the boys will have to do much better if they are to make a move to playoffs as we hope.

No maybe about it, the goaltending for Vegas was pretty bad last night. 6 goals on 20 shots isn't great. Connor's goal was weak. Stanley's goal was weak. Morrissey's goal was weak. Lowry's move was nice but Thompson didn't challenge him at all. Their issue lately has been more of a lack of scoring and they're basically just icing an AHL team right now. Look who's out:
  • Robin Lehner
  • Reilly Smith
  • Brayden McNabb
  • Mattias Janmark
  • Mark Stone
  • Alec Martinez
  • Max Pacioretty
That's a lot of talent to all be out at once. You can talk about cap circumvention and sure, Stone's injury was conveniently timed, but all of those guys I listed went out of the lineup after Stone went on LTIR. I'm not defending them or anything, because they definitely tried to game the system and are getting ruined right now, but Vegas are really bad right now. They played well enough yesterday and in their last game against Columbus, they just don't have the horses to do it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No maybe about it, the goaltending for Vegas was pretty bad last night. 6 goals on 20 shots isn't great. Connor's goal was weak. Stanley's goal was weak. Morrissey's goal was weak. Lowry's move was nice but Thompson didn't challenge him at all. Their issue lately has been more of a lack of scoring and they're basically just icing an AHL team right now. Look who's out:
  • Robin Lehner
  • Reilly Smith
  • Brayden McNabb
  • Mattias Janmark
  • Mark Stone
  • Alec Martinez
  • Max Pacioretty
That's a lot of talent to all be out at once. You can talk about cap circumvention and sure, Stone's injury was conveniently timed, but all of those guys I listed went out of the lineup after Stone went on LTIR. I'm not defending them or anything, because they definitely tried to game the system and are getting ruined right now, but Vegas are really bad right now. They played well enough yesterday and in their last game against Columbus, they just don't have the horses to do it.
Our offense also would look a heck of a lot better with Copp and Perfetti in the line up. As good as svetch has been that KFC line has been a lot better with Perfetti. That frees Ehlers up to play on the third line and try and create 3 scoring lines instead of 2. Copp being back also makes us a lot better team. I have definitely seen a lot weaker goals than KFC's and Stanley's. I mean VK's goals on us are alot weaker. Helly was pretty weak. I have also seen lots of weaker goals than those if you watch other teams.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I mean there were massive score effects at play last night. We were up by a lot pretty much from the end of the first onward.

Also we were due a game where things broke our way.

That being said we are still a long shot imo but we have a chance.
Agree fully. But whether it's our perfrmance on GF vs xGF, or, our performance on contollong play and preventing GA in the latter half of the game, they will have to play better.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree fully. But whether it's our perfrmance on GF vs xGF, or, our performance on contollong play and preventing GA in the latter half of the game, they will have to play better.

No doubt, but on balance they have been quite a bit better lately.

They will need to maintain that and even improve on it if they want take it in. They still have to beat out three teams and Vancouver has been pretty hot lately as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Our offense also would look a heck of a lot better with Copp and Perfetti in the line up. As good as svetch has been that KFC line has been a lot better with Perfetti. That frees Ehlers up to play on the third line and try and create 3 scoring lines instead of 2. Copp being back also makes us a lot better team. I have definitely seen a lot weaker goals than KFC's and Stanley's. I mean VK's goals on us are alot weaker. Helly was pretty weak. I have also seen lots of weaker goals than those if you watch other teams.

The third goal on Helle was bad but I think Connor's and Stanley's especially were worse than the other two Vegas goals. The Roy goal, the puck bounced out to the slot, a goalie would have a hard time being set for the shot with the bounces it took. The 2nd went through like 5 people in front of him. They were shots he's stopped in the past maybe, sure, but they weren't weak. The third was probably the worst goal of the 10 scored by both teams., agreed.

Yeah, the team would look better with Copp and Perfetti, but they don't equal the impact of all those guys out for Vegas. I don't think it's wrong to say Vegas' issues lately have been from missing half their team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The third goal on Helle was bad but I think Connor's and Stanley's especially were worse than the other two Vegas goals. The Roy goal, the puck bounced out to the slot, a goalie would have a hard time being set for the shot with the bounces it took. The 2nd went through like 5 people in front of him. They were shots he's stopped in the past maybe, sure, but they weren't weak. The third was probably the worst goal of the 10 scored by both teams., agreed.

Yeah, the team would look better with Copp and Perfetti, but they don't equal the impact of all those guys out for Vegas. I don't think it's wrong to say Vegas' issues lately have been from missing half their team.
Also look at the goals the Rangers scored on us the other day. Stanley was able to walk in and I thought that was a pretty nice shot picked the top corner. Connor has fooled many goalies the guy has 39 so he gets his goals.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Also look at the goals the Rangers scored on us the other day. Stanley was able to walk in and I thought that was a pretty nice shot picked the top corner. Connor has fooled many goalies the guy has 39 so he gets his goals.

I wasn't trying to compare Hellebuyck to the other goalies they've played against in the past bunch of games. All I said was that the Vegas goaltending last night was bad, which it was. Brossoit left a five hole wide open. He went down and gave Stanley lots of time to pick the corner. He needs to seal that up. Short side goals on a player who's along the boards at the hash marks should not go in. DeBoer agreed as he pulled him and later said they didn't get any saves, and that's true. The Vegas goaltending last night was bad and was a huge factor in the Jets win. How Hellebuyck played last night, or against the Rangers (I think you meant the Islanders, but still) has no relation to how poorly Brossoit and Thompson played last night for Vegas. You're not really making a point by playing the "yeah but" game.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
  • Robin Lehner
  • Reilly Smith
  • Brayden McNabb
  • Mattias Janmark
  • Mark Stone
  • Alec Martinez
  • Max Pacioretty
You love to see it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wasn't trying to compare Hellebuyck to the other goalies they've played against in the past bunch of games. All I said was that the Vegas goaltending last night was bad, which it was. Brossoit left a five hole wide open. He went down and gave Stanley lots of time to pick the corner. He needs to seal that up. Short side goals on a player who's along the boards at the hash marks should not go in. DeBoer agreed as he pulled him and later said they didn't get any saves, and that's true. The Vegas goaltending last night was bad and was a huge factor in the Jets win. How Hellebuyck played last night, or against the Rangers (I think you meant the Islanders, but still) has no relation to how poorly Brossoit and Thompson played last night for Vegas. You're not really making a point by playing the "yeah but" game.
Of course I am. My point is yeah Vegas did not look their best, they were missing players but the Jets have been playing good hockey lately. Period. Sorry we can't all express ourselves very well and make our points as succinctly as you'd like.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yeah well they can't legally play half the players they have out anyway so they are sorta f***ed. I wonder if they don't trade off some of the players they wanted to keep and put Srone back in.

Reactions: snowkiddin

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah well they can't legally play half the players they have out anyway so they are sorta f***ed. I wonder if they don't trade off some of the players they wanted to keep and put Srone back in.

Reilly Smith has been linked as a cap casualty for a long time, but the Stone stuff ended that. I don't think Stone is skating yet so that would take some time too. I have no doubt Stone was actually hurt and his procedure needs some time to heal up. They can't really afford to trade anyone right now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Funniest part of the night was when the Jets got the Bronx cheer from the crowd, Beyak or Sawyer tried to spin it as fans giving a welcome to LB making his first save :laugh:

That was an ironic cheer,or maybe sarcastic is a better word. A bronx cheer is something else. "A sound of contempt or derision, made by blowing through closed lips, usually with the tongue protruding." Also known as a raspberry.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd still take the 2nd rounders. They could be used to move up in the first round.

Regardless of what happens the rest of this year, it is clear that we need to get better. You can't do that without assets.

If nothing is done, we are worse next year by the loss of Copp and Stastny. Joyously accepting 2 home playoff games just extends the futility.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not even necessarily that I'm excited that they are back in the playoff hunt again, I'm just excited to see them (FINALLY) playing a bit more like I had thought they were capable of at the beginning of the season.

They looked like they enjoyed playing the game today.

And why did it take the crowd dissing them to get them going?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Millions in revenue for a franchise that needs it.

Bring it on.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I don't think our draft position will change that much. There's no way Chevy deals either of them if there's even a sniff of the playoffs so hoping we miss at this point for some kind of advantage isn't logical.

Go Jets Go

Very short sighted. A few millions now at the (probable) cost of many more millions in the future.

But you are almost certainly correct. We only needed to be remotely close for Chevy to stand pat. I just hope he is not a buyer.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Very short sighted. A few millions now at the (probable) cost of many more millions in the future.

But you are almost certainly correct. We only needed to be remotely close for Chevy to stand pat. I just hope he is not a buyer.

How are you quantifying the cost of many more millions in the future? Like, what's your basis on that?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We only have to look back a few seasons to see that no team is unbeatable in the play-offs. If the Jet's manage to get in and go up against the Avs, could they pull off an upset and win the series? Yeah. They could. Is it likely to happen? No, it isn't. But...it could. It's starting to look like they might keep it close enough that a major sell-off won't happen...so we gotta hope for something approaching a miracle I guess.

I'm OK with this - as long as we are being realistic about needing a miracle.
The odds against making the PO are still very long. It isn't enough to be 'in' on deadline day. You need to still be in at the end of the season.
If we do manage to get in, the odds against getting more than 2 home games are also very long.

Instead of the Miracle Mets, we will need to be the Miracle Jets.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many 2nds does it take to move up into the top 10. I mean Ves was a 1st so not even middle of the 1st rd picks are guaranteed to be difference makers.

Nobody is guaranteed. Remember Yakushev? And you don't need to be in the top 10. Connor was 17. Roughly speaking, three 2nds = one 1st. So get as many 2nds as you can.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Doesn't surprise me at all that he's capable on the breakaway. I've mentioned it before but he was automatic in the shootout for the Moose and Broncos.
Yeah he's always been good there. Has a limited repertoire of moves bit executes well -- and he's a huge guy coming at you with speed, which likely has some effect on the guy in the cage.

Just catching up with the game now, and that grind line does a helluva job to cycle that puck around on a few of those chances and goals tonight. No points, I don't think, but DomTon, Ves and co deserve some props for the number of hits they threw and the quality of their play along the boards during their few shifts. Weird game by the numbers.

FN8DaAVVsAQYvQc

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would you consider Patrick Kane a 3rd liner?

Maybe - if you want 3 scoring lines and everybody else fits. Would you consider him, or Wheeler a 4th liner?

Right now, Wheeler is looking good on our 2nd line. Not sure how long he can keep that up, but I'll take it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How are you quantifying the cost of many more millions in the future? Like, what's your basis on that?

Team need to get better. Gets better. More PO games down the line. The additional millions in revenue goes up quite a bit with each rd too. 2 games in the first rd don't add up to all that much. 2 games 1 year vs anywhere from 3 to 16 games for 5 or 10 years in the future.

Even if the payoff is not that easy to come by, building a better team will lead to more money in the longer term. You can't build a better team by betting your assets on long shots every year.

Reactions: surixon

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Team need to get better. Gets better. More PO games down the line. The additional millions in revenue goes up quite a bit with each rd too. 2 games in the first rd don't add up to all that much. 2 games 1 year vs anywhere from 3 to 16 games for 5 or 10 years in the future.

Even if the payoff is not that easy to come by, building a better team will lead to more money in the longer term. You can't build a better team by betting your assets on long shots every year.
there's no guaranteed playoff success, saying it's probable that the picks we get back will win us games is just wishful thinking...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Are the picks they get for Copp or Statsny much more likely to increase the Jets chances in the future to the degree that they'll make many more millions than they will this season in 2 playoff games? We've seen Seravelli say that it's a buyers market so the anticipated return people have been hoping for, like a late 1st or multiple 2nds for Stastny and Copp are not likely to materialize.

I just hope they don't buy. If they're like 2 points away on Monday, then keep them, sure. Just don't buy.

Reactions: gojetsgo and DRW204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad