Post-Game Talk: Should have worn their Gold Chrome helmets, Jets win 7-3

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This whole Wheeler bronx cheer controversy is weird. On the one hand Blake is pissed that fans gave them the bronx cheer...but then he goes on to say that it made them angry and they went out and scored a couple goals. Well...yeah. I mean that is essentially the hopeful intent of booing your team when they are stinking the joint out. It's fans saying "Hey! You guys are playing like crap! Be better!" I don't think anyone is laying down the bronx cheer with the intention that the team will like it. He seems to see the result as an un-intended side benefit of the act. Like saying "I really hate these stupid speed limits, but I guess it makes people drive slower and have less accidents so whatever." I don't have any issue at all with he and the team getting pissed off about the fans booing them. That's the intention of it! Get pissed off and go out and take it out on the other team.

The fans have been pretty good with supporting this group. I didn't see the first period but if the team was off to a slow start in such a key game then I am glad the fans who also knew how Important this game was gave then a push with that cheer.

They also gave them a standing ovation after the game again. When the team puts out an honest effort the fans treat them very well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dennis said it was a personal record for Lowry and that he needed 4 more for the league record.
Ohhhhhhh! Thanks. He must have thrown his number in there arbitrarily as Dennis likes to do.

Either way Lowry had himself a game. I've noticed his speed recently, he's never been 'fast' but that breakaway was impressive.

I was also very impressed with Wheelers goal, really nice.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Freaking Jets, watch Copp & Stats won’t get traded now and we get swept in the 1st rd. Ugh
Millions in revenue for a franchise that needs it.

Bring it on.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I don't think our draft position will change that much. There's no way Chevy deals either of them if there's even a sniff of the playoffs so hoping we miss at this point for some kind of advantage isn't logical.

Go Jets Go

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Millions in revenue for a franchise that needs it.

Bring it on.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I don't think our draft position will change that much. There's no way Chevy deals either of them if there's even a sniff of the playoffs so hoping we miss at this point for some kind of advantage isn't logical.

Go Jets Go

Fans priorities often aren't the same as ownership priorities in sports, thats not new. As a fan I don't care about 1.5 to 2 million (the average is 1 million per game in revenue in playoffs per home game for tickets) in playoff revenues for 2-3 home games, I want to see the team improve and actually make an impact in the playoffs not just a participation metal. Copp & Stats could equal a 1st rd, 2nd rd and maybe a B/C level prospect.......that's more important to me as a fan then a owner having an extra 1.5 to 2 million in revenues in his pocket.

Now that the Jets likely won't trade Stats, b/c he's worth only a 2nd rd pick roughly, but I could see Copp being traded if the right offer was made, Chevy would be dumb to pass up a good offer on a UFA Copp just on some false hope of winning in the playoffs.

I'm happy to see the Jets lose each of their next games between now and the TDL. To each their own of course, thats what makes sports forums what they are......opinions & POV's.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Fans priorities often aren't the same as ownership priorities in sports, thats not new. As a fan I don't care about 1.5 to 2 million (the average is 1 million per game in revenue in playoffs per home game for tickets) in playoff revenues for 2-3 home games, I want to see the team improve and actually make an impact in the playoffs not just a participation metal. Copp & Stats could equal a 1st rd, 2nd rd and maybe a B/C level prospect.......that's more important to me as a fan then a owner having an extra 1.5 to 2 million in revenues in his pocket.

Now that the Jets likely won't trade Stats, b/c he's worth only a 2nd rd pick roughly, but I could see Copp being traded if the right offer was made, Chevy would be dumb to pass up a good offer on a UFA Copp just on some false hope of winning in the playoffs.

I'm happy to see the Jets lose each of their next games between now and the TDL. To each their own of course, thats what makes sports forums what they are......opinions & POV's.
Fair enough. I've seen enough teams back into the playoffs or struggle in the regular season and then go on a tear in the playoffs.

I do get your philosophy in building depth in a year it looks like the Jets aren't going to get near the ultimate goal.

However, if the Jets do make the playoffs, they will have to be playing a much better brand of hockey in order to beat out all the other teams currently fighting for it. Additionally, we still haven't seen the best version of Hellebuyck this season which is one of the reasons we are in this predicament. We are outscoring his average play right now.

This team has the components to be a cinderella team in the post season, and we have a Vezina calibre goaltender. You can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket :)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The object is to get in and win the cup. It isn't to win the regular season. A long playoff run could happen for any team. If your goalie gets hot at the right moment and you are playing well

Saying that some important games coming up. Boston is a real test. Got to continue to score first and try to play some better defensive hockey.

We beat Boston, then we got a string of games that we "should" win. We also play a lot at home.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
We only have to look back a few seasons to see that no team is unbeatable in the play-offs. If the Jet's manage to get in and go up against the Avs, could they pull off an upset and win the series? Yeah. They could. Is it likely to happen? No, it isn't. But...it could. It's starting to look like they might keep it close enough that a major sell-off won't happen...so we gotta hope for something approaching a miracle I guess.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What a great game by Stanley last night. What a filthy goal. He has been playing really well lately. I have no problem if they put Samberg or Heinola in his spot but the dude deserves his due. He is a very good 3rd pairing D. He may never be more than that, that's why I am fine with giving the other prospects more playing time but, 3rd pairing D are important too. Especially if you can get them to sign to a team friendly deal.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I'd still take the 2nd rounders. They could be used to move up in the first round.
How many 2nds does it take to move up into the top 10. I mean Ves was a 1st so not even middle of the 1st rd picks are guaranteed to be difference makers.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Fair enough. I've seen enough teams back into the playoffs or struggle in the regular season and then go on a tear in the playoffs.

I do get your philosophy in building depth in a year it looks like the Jets aren't going to get near the ultimate goal.

However, if the Jets do make the playoffs, they will have to be playing a much better brand of hockey in order to beat out all the other teams currently fighting for it. Additionally, we still haven't seen the best version of Hellebuyck this season which is one of the reasons we are in this predicament. We are outscoring his average play right now.

This team has the components to be a cinderella team in the post season, and we have a Vezina calibre goaltender. You can't win a lottery if you don't buy a ticket :)

I agree, the team if it gets in will more then likely be playing really good hockey. We have seen plenty of favorites get knocked out early by a hot team.

We still need Helle to up his game if we do want to contend though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
But get what for him? A late 1st great. But how often do guys outside of the 1st make it to the big leagues? That's why I am a bit surprised in the people who think a really late 1st is the big piece coming back in trades like Giroux or Hertl.

The 1sts are really late because the contending teams don't have earlier 1sts. Sorry.

If the odds of a late 1st, or a 2nd making it in the NHL, then you need more of those picks to get your player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Especially given the low attendance. If no one is offering a 1st+ I think they keep him.

Is he the difference between PO money and no PO money? At this point, I would say probably not.

A couple of years ago, Flames didn't think they were going to make the PO so they sold (forget who). Turned it around and made PO anyway.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the Jets beat Boston in their next game, I like their chances of making the playoffs. They are starting to peak at the right time now, and have Ehlers back, so I like their chances. Let's beat Boston- one game at a time. Add to this, the Jets have a lot of home games left, which will help the win column.

Odds against are still very long. We go on a bit of a winning streak and some of the teams we are chasing go on a bit of a losing streak. We get to WC2, by a point or 2. Then our winning streak ends and their losing streaks end. We are back out of that spot in no time.

The part of your post I like is 1 game at a time.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The 1sts are really late because the contending teams don't have earlier 1sts. Sorry.

If the odds of a late 1st, or a 2nd making it in the NHL, then you need more of those picks to get your player.
Or trade for a more developed prospect that you can see has more potential. For instance, yeah Colorado has only late 1sts but Hellson looks like he has a higher chance of turning into something than just a prospect. Trading copp for Lundkvist seems like a surer bet. I mean people have thrown around Lehkonen for Lundkvist and Copp is a much better player.
When we were after Ellis from Nashville they didn't just want a 1st they wanted Perfetti or Heinola.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Lots of unbridled optimism after this win - maybe best we keep a little perspective about our chances going forward ? It was fantastic that we won so readily but we really didn't play all that great - we had the lowest xGF of any game in the recent past,but outperformed the xGF by a lot (maybe something to do with poor goaltending by Vegas?).

I know, I know - a comparison of actual GF vs xGF is not prescriptive of how the team played, or will play in future, but the boys will have to do much better if they are to make a move to playoffs as we hope.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lots of unbridled optimism after this win - maybe best we keep a little perspective about our chances going forward ? It was fantastic that we won so readily but we really didn't play all that great - we had the lowest xGF of any game in the recent past,but outperformed the xGF by a lot (maybe something to do with poor goaltending by Vegas?).

I know, I know - a comparison of actual GF vs xGF is not prescriptive of how the team played, or will play in future, but the boys will have to do much better if they are to make a move to playoffs as we hope.

I mean there were massive score effects at play last night. We were up by a lot pretty much from the end of the first onward.

Also we were due a game where things broke our way.

That being said we are still a long shot imo but we have a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad