Post-Game Talk: Should have worn their Gold Chrome helmets, Jets win 7-3

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Are the picks they get for Copp or Statsny much more likely to increase the Jets chances in the future to the degree that they'll make many more millions than they will this season in 2 playoff games? We've seen Seravelli say that it's a buyers market so the anticipated return people have been hoping for, like a late 1st or multiple 2nds for Stastny and Copp are not likely to materialize.

I just hope they don't buy. If they're like 2 points away on Monday, then keep them, sure. Just don't buy.
really if they're 2nds or worse given chevy's draft history as of late, they wont be leading to much. our best 2nd rd pick is jansen harkins, big frickin whoop. how many POs has he increased our chances by a notable % to?

however - trading the picks for actual productive nhl players is another alternative.

Reactions: MardyBum and tbcwpg

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
really if they're 2nds or worse given chevy's draft history as of late, they wont be leading to much. our best 2nd rd pick is jansen harkins, big frickin whoop. how many POs has he increased our chances by a notable % to?

however - trading the picks for actual productive nhl players is another alternative.

I think David Gustafsson or Samberg will take the title from Harkins soon for "best 2nd round pick" but you're right, the bar is pretty low.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Multiple second round picks could always be packaged to move up higher in the second round/into the late first and can also be flipped for a quality NHL player at the draft, so even if Chevy hasn't been great at drafting after the first round it still gives us some solid options

Reactions: MardyBum

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How many 2nds does it take to move up into the top 10. I mean Ves was a 1st so not even middle of the 1st rd picks are guaranteed to be difference makers.

Nobody is guaranteed. Remember Yakushev? And you don't need to be in the top 10. Connor was 17. Roughly speaking, three 2nds = one 1st. So get as many 2nds as you can.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think David Gustafsson or Samberg will take the title from Harkins soon for "best 2nd round pick" but you're right, the bar is pretty low.
OK well until that date it comes, they haven't. And theres no guarantee they will. In any case samberg will be in his draft+6 year and Gus in draft+5th (assuming they don't make a tangible impact this season). So waiting half a decade for a 2nd rd pick to possibly amount to a a player that increases our team value by millions seem like a v v low probability.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
there's no guaranteed playoff success, saying it's probable that the picks we get back will win us games is just wishful thinking...

There being no guarantees does not equate to wishful thinking. Continually relying on the anything can happen if you just get in is wishful thinking.

It IS probable that more picks wins us more games. There is not guarantee that what is probable actually occurs. How many more games could be in a very wide range too.

It is about choosing probable vs improbable, but possible. I'll go with probable since both are possible.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are the picks they get for Copp or Statsny much more likely to increase the Jets chances in the future to the degree that they'll make many more millions than they will this season in 2 playoff games? We've seen Seravelli say that it's a buyers market so the anticipated return people have been hoping for, like a late 1st or multiple 2nds for Stastny and Copp are not likely to materialize.

I just hope they don't buy. If they're like 2 points away on Monday, then keep them, sure. Just don't buy.

No they are not that likely to make a big difference. But it is never about doing it just once. Do it, keep doing it, and it becomes probable, even if it is improbable each individual time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Scary I've been away from the site long enough that it looks completely different and I barely know how to use it... like one of those Tales From the Darkside or Twighlight Zone episodes where things are the same but just a bit different. Speaking of different Jets fans have been enjoying some wins of late... shocking!!!

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
There being no guarantees does not equate to wishful thinking. Continually relying on the anything can happen if you just get in is wishful thinking.

It IS probable that more picks wins us more games. There is not guarantee that what is probable actually occurs. How many more games could be in a very wide range too.

It is about choosing probable vs improbable, but possible. I'll go with probable since both are possible.
it's probable that getting multiple picks back would give us a chance at an nhl player, but the success rate of second round picks playing >99 games is around 34% and gets lower with each pick so in order for it to become provable that we get an nhl player we would need 3 seconds and no team is going to be doing that so you are actually choosing improvable and saying it's provable

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Very short sighted. A few millions now at the (probable) cost of many more millions in the future.

But you are almost certainly correct. We only needed to be remotely close for Chevy to stand pat. I just hope he is not a buyer.
I think you're overselling it. If we dealt Copp and Statsny at the deadline our best case scenario is a late first and a second, but most likely a second and a third considering Copps worrisome health.

Hoping those picks one day turn into players that would be so impactful as to generate millions of dollars for the franchise is incredibly optimistic.

Keeping those own rentals right now is important for the franchise not only for potential revenue to mitigate recent losses, but as a message to the players and fans that the org is committed to winning. A playoff run could go a long way in restoking ticket sales and merch sales.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
it's probable that getting multiple picks back would give us a chance at an nhl player, but the success rate of second round picks playing >99 games is around 34% and gets lower with each pick so in order for it to become provable that we get an nhl player we would need 3 seconds and no team is going to be doing that so you are actually choosing improvable and saying it's provable

Over time, more picks will get us a better team than fewer picks. It isn't about this one time with these specific players. It is the way you go about managing the assets all the time.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Over time, more picks will get us a better team than fewer picks. It isn't about this one time with these specific players. It is the way you go about managing the assets all the time.
yes, but were not getting the amount of picks back that would make it "probable" for future playoff success

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you're overselling it. If we dealt Copp and Statsny at the deadline our best case scenario is a late first and a second, but most likely a second and a third considering Copps worrisome health.

Hoping those picks one day turn into players that would be so impactful as to generate millions of dollars for the franchise is incredibly optimistic.

Keeping those own rentals right now is important for the franchise not only for potential revenue to mitigate recent losses, but as a message to the players and fans that the org is committed to winning. A playoff run could go a long way in restoking ticket sales and merch sales.

I think you are looking at this year's TD in isolation. It is about how assets are managed all the time, every year. Over time, maximizing those assets makes a big difference.

Reactions: WaveRaven

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Multiple second round picks could always be packaged to move up higher in the second round/into the late first and can also be flipped for a quality NHL player at the draft, so even if Chevy hasn't been great at drafting after the first round it still gives us some solid options
i don't think anyone wants Chevy trading up again in the 1st :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad