Line Combos: Should Grundstrom be called up?

Should the Leafs call up Grundstrom to add a bit of grit to it's line up?

• Total voters

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think Trevor Moore is first in line for a call up. Grundy is probably #2.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Who is injured? Otherwise, no call ups necessary at the moment.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Also, we don't want any more of our young kids up for the rest of this season because that will allow them to slide in the upcoming Seattle expansion draft in 2 years. I think management is going to be very careful with who gets called up and how many games they play. Only player that may break into the lineup with that kept in mind is Moore and that's because of his age and pro-experience I believe.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Grundstrom was beyond useless in preseason, havent seen him since but hopefully he does better. I havent seen this grit everyone is talking about

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Grundstrom is like a Tomas Holmstrom or Zach Hyman type of player. His game is about exerting maximum net front presence but I hardly think he’s going to intimidate anyone.

The hit on Matthews happened when the wings had a comfortable lead and Kronwall thought he could afford to take a penalty.

In close games teams are much less likely to risk penalty trouble with the leafs potent power play.

Mason Marchment is a legit tough guy on the farm who could contribute on the 4th line replacing Brown or Ennis. His game has improved by leaps and bounds since he was signed a couple of years ago.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Grit doesnt equal punching people
Correct punching people is more like fighting. I'd define grit as finishing checks, strong on the puck, in front of the net/boards, maybe even agitating. Grundstrom didnt do this anymore than Gauthier in the small sample size that I saw him play

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Grundstrom was beyond useless in preseason, havent seen him since but hopefully he does better. I havent seen this grit everyone is talking about

Looks to be having a great season down there with 7 goals, 17 points in 20 games and leads the team in +/-. Havnt been able to watch Marlies games much this year though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No point in calling him up for the 4th line this early in the year. Give him first line-minutes in the AHL until a top 9 spot is open, and if you are going to use him in a 4th line role, only consider that option around trade deadline time like we have with Kapanen and Johnsson.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
With any of these young guys, I would want to know how calling them up would effect the expansion draft.

Grundstrom seems to be playing quite well with the Marlies. I think he'll be a strong candidate for the team next season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he plays more than 9 this year he will require protection from Seattle
Pretty sure he has to be protected regardless due to the fact he's burning a professional year off his deal whether he plays the 9 games or not.

Reactions: Mork

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Should the Leafs call up Grundstrom to add a bit of grit to it's line up?

Not just that but with Hanisey and Gardiner potentially gone... have to see what you have when it doesn’t matter so much.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Not yet, I’m looking forward to seeing him as much as anyone but if we don’t need him now let him season in the ahl this season and let him take a spot next camp. But make him earn it. The longer we can manage to keep him there and still win the better.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Where's the "why?" option?

Like, can’t like twice

No reason at all to start his nhl time yet. Some fans complain about cap trouble keep him down as long as possible and when he comes in we can more use his $900k caphit to help our team. He is an exciting prospect I wanna see him bit we need to play this smart with him

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I imagine he'll get a look sometime in the new year.

He's absolutely ridiculous in the AHL so far this year. In terms of WAR, he's ranked 3rd among all skaters in the AHL.

I fully imagine he'll be called up and given a chance much like Dermott, and Kapanen last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad