Prospect Info: SHL champion Elias Pettersson | SHL scoring champion, playoff MVP, WC gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I recall our discussions and found them interesting and more civil than most at the time. I don’t disagree that full seasons *can* be more indicative of future play but that doesn’t mean this tournament isn’t indicative as well. Generally they tend to correlate fairly well with each other as the top players in jr leagues also tend to be the top players in this tournament. I don’t think they give drastically different results tbh. But I don’t find the SHL style of play to be overly similar to the NHL style and think yesterdays Canada-US game much more stylistically similar in terms of tempo, space, and physicality. Performing well in that environment gives me more comfort than struggling in it.

And of course we will see the ultimate result when they hit the NHL, that’s a given. But since we all seem to enjoy dissecting and projecting these kids well before then I figure it shouldn’t be a taboo topic.

It is not taboo, but you often quote me after i assumed we had this topic sorted and simply felt differently on this subject. I am completely fine with what opinions you post regarding the tournament, I know your position.

I am not sure without digging into the data i feel these jr games are that indicative, i have been burned to often on these tournaments one way or another. Someone like nylander, ehlers, hischier, point did very well in both, but i have also seen players like boeser, horvat, sergachev, draisaitl (off the top of my head) struggle as well at times, it feels like a crapshoot (drasaitl was also interesting because he played for a terrible team but people were upset he did nothing to help his team or stand out like ehlers for instance). And then when teams are often so lopsided in these tournaments someone like juolevi makes a name for themselves compared to someone like sergachev. Rantanen was another interesting one, tearing up the ahl but did not blow me away when the world jr's hit, but his ahl numbers were so incredible I learned to brush it off. For me personally I just feel they have led me astray to often when judging talent. Again this is just my opinion. You feel a bit differently which is fair.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanaFan

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
aZW3NYG.png

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I have to say, the knee jerk reactions on both sides is becoming pretty tiresome, albeit amusing. One minute he's the next potential superstar, and the next the mob mentality kicks in and he's not doing well 5 on 5 and it's "concerning". If he does well this tournament, great, but I'm holding his play in the SEL against men in much higher regard than the juniors. People seriously need some patience.

who here is this capricious other than that one guy that literally has no opinion other than the most visceral immediate reaction to literally everything

Reactions: Jyrki21

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
Bub is not a bad thing bub. I wouldnt call you a bad word your a great poster here IMO even if we dont always see eye 2 eye

Can you please explain its meaning? This is assuming that you have not heard other people say "bud" and mistaken them, thinking that they are saying "bub."

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can you please explain its meaning? This is assuming that you have not heard other people say "bud" and mistaken them, thinking that they are saying "bub."
Yeah like bud maybe Ive been wrong is bub a bad thing? If so EEEEEK and I guess will only use it for dealing with Habs fans :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah nice goal and great display of skill, but still worth keeping in mind the level of competition and how poorly the Swiss dman played that to keep expectations in check. You're not going to score goals like that in the NHL.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Yeah nice goal and great display of skill, but still worth keeping in mind the level of competition and how poorly the Swiss dman played that to keep expectations in check. You're not going to score goals like that in the NHL.

Ya he’s going to score even better ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad