The Athletic - Boston Shinzawa’s Sunday notes: How does Brandon Carlo adjust after second straight playoff omission

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fluto looks at the mental toll on Carlo after missing the playoffs again.

Shinzawa's Sunday notes: How does Brandon Carlo adjust after...

It had happened again.

For the second straight year, Brandon Carlo concluded his season by missing the playoffs.
In game No. 82 in 2017, Alex Ovechkin slammed the rookie’s head into the TD Garden glass. The resulting concussion ended his run. This season, with just over a week left in the regular season, Carlo fractured his left ankle.

Over the past two seasons, the Bruins have played 18 games that have meant more than the 164 that preceded them. Carlo has watched all of them.

One of the places where Carlo found answers to his bad luck was within the pages of his most important text.
“I shared a couple verses with different people from the Scripture,” said Carlo, who counts Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller as teammates with concurring beliefs. “That was great. That kind of turned things around for me. Each little thing that I got from those guys, with them looking out for me, was special.”

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Fluto looks at the mental toll on Carlo after missing the playoffs again.

Shinzawa's Sunday notes: How does Brandon Carlo adjust after...

It had happened again.

For the second straight year, Brandon Carlo concluded his season by missing the playoffs.
In game No. 82 in 2017, Alex Ovechkin slammed the rookie’s head into the TD Garden glass. The resulting concussion ended his run. This season, with just over a week left in the regular season, Carlo fractured his left ankle.

Over the past two seasons, the Bruins have played 18 games that have meant more than the 164 that preceded them. Carlo has watched all of them.

One of the places where Carlo found answers to his bad luck was within the pages of his most important text.
“I shared a couple verses with different people from the Scripture,” said Carlo, who counts Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller as teammates with concurring beliefs. “That was great. That kind of turned things around for me. Each little thing that I got from those guys, with them looking out for me, was special.”
Would like to see Carlo work hard on his offensive skills in the offseason. He has the correct instincts it seems, just hesitant at times to use them.

That and eat tacks daily for breakfast all summer. Show up grumpy to camp and stay that way through the year

Reactions: Strafer

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not sure its a bad thing that there is no book on Carlo in the playoffs. When he plays in the postseason next year he'll have 200+ NHL games under his belt and should be bigger/stronger.

Hopefully the 2 missed years really ramp up his motivation to play hockey into June.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Carlo got hurt on shitty ice

Brad McCrimmom was told he was to nice when he came up and he was

He was happy go lucky and didn’t have the best diet those first few years but he ended up a very good player All Star quality many years

Carlo by mid 20’s will be one of the best shutdown defenseman in game

His problem is he’s young and inexperienced

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure its a bad thing that there is no book on Carlo in the playoffs. When he plays in the postseason next year he'll have 200+ NHL games under his belt and should be bigger/stronger.

Hopefully the 2 missed years really ramp up his motivation to play hockey into June.
There was no book on Vegas

Carlo will be fine

I’d think there was more pressure breaking in at 19 as a second round pick is more pressure than a first round playoff game next year at age 22 and at about 250 nhl games

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Would like to see Carlo work hard on his offensive skills in the offseason. He has the correct instincts it seems, just hesitant at times to use them.

That and eat tacks daily for breakfast all summer. Show up grumpy to camp and stay that way through the year

Not that it would happen but do you think it could do him good if he would be sent down to AHL for let's say 20 games, play big minutes there and sort of being forced to be offensive D-man?

He was playing great towards the end of the regular season, stepped up when it was needed and he was getting more aggressive.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not that it would happen but do you think it could do him good if he would be sent down to AHL for let's say 20 games, play big minutes there and sort of being forced to be offensive D-man?

He was playing great towards the end of the regular season, stepped up when it was needed and he was getting more aggressive.

Absolutely not. AHL is still professional adults hes not going to be Bobby Orr taking the puck end to end just cause its a step down from the NHL.

Carlo had a nice second season despite some speed bumps first half of it. Hes a guy who is still 1-2 years away from being fully developed. Size and skating are the things you can't teach. We don't really need offense from him not to mention if McAvoy turns into a Norris contender which is likely we won't be able to afford Carlo as well if hes a 30+ point guy. Carlo makes the first pass well hes not bad on breakouts all we want is him to get stronger.

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Absolutely not. AHL is still professional adults hes not going to be Bobby Orr taking the puck end to end just cause its a step down from the NHL.

Carlo had a nice second season despite some speed bumps first half of it. Hes a guy who is still 1-2 years away from being fully developed. Size and skating are the things you can't teach. We don't really need offense from him not to mention if McAvoy turns into a Norris contender which is likely we won't be able to afford Carlo as well if hes a 30+ point guy. Carlo makes the first pass well hes not bad on breakouts all we want is him to get stronger.

Well said. I agree, he needs to get stronger and he is obviously getting more aggressive.

He's on the right path.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

I don’t think he has to go down to the AHL for that. Not looking for him to become a Doughty type, but he is certainly capable if skating the puck out of danger like Miller did more this year.

In the offensive zone I’d like to see him hold on to the puck for just a half second more. Probably not in his nature to do so instinctively. But he has a decent shot and passes well. Just allow things to develop a bit in front of him before lobbing the puck back in to the corner.

Side note: I don’t want this to come off like I’m criticizing him at all. If he was a Roman Polak with the puck I’d be happy with wherever he slapped it if it came near him. Just think he’s capable of doing more with it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

He`s already playing big minutes with the B`s, no need to send him down, it`s not like Cassidy has him riding the bench.

Reactions: veganbruin

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
I think Carlo would have made a bigger difference than people think. Kid stepped up big time in the absence of Chara. The Nasty will come with age. If he isn’t already he will absolutely be a solid #4 in this league for years to come. How many other teams have the same youth, promise and upside in their top 2 RHD? I would even consider putting him back with Chara once we find the right future partner for Chuck.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm actually kind of impressed that Carlo would "come out" as a biblical guy in the kind of culture we live in today, especially in Massachusetts. If it makes him strong, I respect that.

I just hope we don't get a repeat of when Tim Thomas declined to go to the White House and it was revealed that he was a tea party guy and Fat Haggerty began a smear campaign to run him out of town.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I just hope we don't get a repeat of when Tim Thomas declined to go to the White House and it was revealed that he was a tea party guy and Fat Haggerty began a smear campaign to run him out of town.

Can't agree more with you: for some people, though, politics is the most important thing, so anyone who disagrees needs to be destroyed. On the positive side, it hasn't seemed to hurt Adam McQuaid and he's been open about his beliefs if asked.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
find carlo the right partner... his nasty comes out when hes with chara but chara wont be around forever

do zboril or lauzon or johnson or kid X project as the right partner?

i daresay krug and grezylyk do not

could edler from vancouver be the right guy at the right price? would hanifan be the right guy?

for now, id put chara with carlo... and try to get carlo established as a rock before he has to take on zboril or lauzon as his inexperienced partner in a year or two

then the question is... who partners with mcavoy? i dont think krug is the answer

so the final question is who brings out the best in krug? honestly i think krug looks great with mcquaid or miller

but now im left with no spot for gryzlyck unless he can play with mcavoy

maybe bring in a short term guy like edler to play with mcavoy as we wait for gryzlyck to get more established... allows chara to help carlo... allows krug to excel in the role hes best at

keep one of miller or mcquaid... move the other so we can offset edlers cap hit

mcavoy/edler
carlo/chara
macquaid/krug
gryzlyck

work zboril and lauzon in for cup of coffee

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm actually kind of impressed that Carlo would "come out" as a biblical guy in the kind of culture we live in today, especially in Massachusetts. If it makes him strong, I respect that.

For a true believer, out is the only place to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad