The Athletic - Boston Shinzawa’s Sunday notes: How does Brandon Carlo adjust after second straight playoff omission

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Personally, yes, but again, that doesn't need to go any further than that. Not the place for it. Different strokes for different folks.

I think you may be misconstruing his comments. He obviously was feeling woe is me with the two injuries right before the playoffs and found comfort in his readings is all I took from it. Why would anyone have an issue with that? Maybe he should have broken out some tony Robbins tapes?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm actually kind of impressed that Carlo would "come out" as a biblical guy in the kind of culture we live in today, especially in Massachusetts. If it makes him strong, I respect that.

I just hope we don't get a repeat of when Tim Thomas declined to go to the White House and it was revealed that he was a tea party guy and Fat Haggerty began a smear campaign to run him out of town.

Good on him and agree 100%.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
I don't think it will affect him much, if he anything he will be more prepared for when playoffs come for him (hopefully next year)

Not worried about Carlo.

Reactions: DKH

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I think you may be misconstruing his comments. He obviously was feeling woe is me with the two injuries right before the playoffs and found comfort in his readings is all I took from it. Why would anyone have an issue with that? Maybe he should have broken out some tony Robbins tapes?

I PM'd you

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I think Carlo would have made a bigger difference than people think. Kid stepped up big time in the absence of Chara. The Nasty will come with age. If he isn’t already he will absolutely be a solid #4 in this league for years to come. How many other teams have the same youth, promise and upside in their top 2 RHD? I would even consider putting him back with Chara once we find the right future partner for Chuck.
I think Vaakanainen will eventually be Chara's replacement as 1st pair, LD, but that may be further down the road than you're thinking. Depending on how much longer Chara decides to play (and can be effective), UV may be able to step right in behind Chara. If Chara retires before Vaak is ready, the stopgap will be an interesting decision. I would venture a guess that the Bruins' brass is not going to make a big splash for the Chara replacement, knowing UV is coming.

As for Carlo, I think you've hit the nail right on the head, both in what he would have brought, and what he will. I also could see Chara dropping to 2LD with Carlo if we can get that stopgap.

WestCoastBruinsFan

Oct 30, 2008
Victoria, BC
I think Vaakanainen will eventually be Chara's replacement as 1st pair, LD, but that may be further down the road than you're thinking. Depending on how much longer Chara decides to play (and can be effective), UV may be able to step right in behind Chara. If Chara retires before Vaak is ready, the stopgap will be an interesting decision. I would venture a guess that the Bruins' brass is not going to make a big splash for the Chara replacement, knowing UV is coming.

As for Carlo, I think you've hit the nail right on the head, both in what he would have brought, and what he will. I also could see Chara dropping to 2LD with Carlo if we can get that stopgap.

And Bruins Network mentioned on Twitter that Vaakanainen might be closer than some might think so you really never know.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I'm actually kind of impressed that Carlo would "come out" as a biblical guy in the kind of culture we live in today, especially in Massachusetts. If it makes him strong, I respect that.

I just hope we don't get a repeat of when Tim Thomas declined to go to the White House and it was revealed that he was a tea party guy and Fat Haggerty began a smear campaign to run him out of town.
There are many players on the team who are incredibly open with their faith: Miller, McQuaid and Heinen are the three that come to mind right away.

I find it refreshing even if I’m not that religious.

Carlo doesn’t need to go to the AHL. The article read like Fluto was blaming Carlo for getting injured the last two years. Couldn’t be further from the truth.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
find carlo the right partner... his nasty comes out when hes with chara but chara wont be around forever

do zboril or lauzon or johnson or kid X project as the right partner?

i daresay krug and grezylyk do not

could edler from vancouver be the right guy at the right price? would hanifan be the right guy?

for now, id put chara with carlo... and try to get carlo established as a rock before he has to take on zboril or lauzon as his inexperienced partner in a year or two

then the question is... who partners with mcavoy? i dont think krug is the answer

so the final question is who brings out the best in krug? honestly i think krug looks great with mcquaid or miller

but now im left with no spot for gryzlyck unless he can play with mcavoy

maybe bring in a short term guy like edler to play with mcavoy as we wait for gryzlyck to get more established... allows chara to help carlo... allows krug to excel in the role hes best at

keep one of miller or mcquaid... move the other so we can offset edlers cap hit

mcavoy/edler
carlo/chara
macquaid/krug
gryzlyck

work zboril and lauzon in for cup of coffee

Not every thread has to be a trade/lineup thread. This one is just about Carlo’s injury and the fallout.

Slightly off topic, but would it be too much to ask that you at least attempt proper punctuation and spelling?

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He`s already playing big minutes with the B`s, no need to send him down, it`s not like Cassidy has him riding the bench.

Late response.

Yes, he is playing big minutes and he has proved himself already. Nothing i would change or would want to change there. I should probably ask or suggest differently, it didn't come through as i wished. Of course he won't be sent down to AHL and there is absolutely no need for him to go there. I was thinking out loud, that it might have been an interesting experiment, forcing him to be offensive D man for a number of games against men, just an experiment, nothing more. Naturally, we don't need him to be that, we need him to be aggressive and mobile in our zone, make the perfect 1st pass; bottom line is, he doesn't need points to be effective.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bring back Carlo slowly. Even if this means him missing the pre season and 1st 10 games of the season. He needs to add at least 10-15 pounds of mass for next season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Bring back Carlo slowly. Even if this means him missing the pre season and 1st 10 games of the season. He needs to add at least 10-15 pounds of mass for next season.

That should be easy enough for him to do over the summer, and it seems like that might be the message from the team to him based on what was said.

Reactions: rocketdan9

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Personally, yes, but again, that doesn't need to go any further than that. Not the place for it. Different strokes for different folks.

Lol so you make the original comment, get asked about it, and you have an issue with it but don’t need to go any further?

Not really sure what the point of the original comment was then. You could have just not said anything. Personally, I think it’s stupid that anyone would have an issue with it.

Reactions: Chief Nine

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Lol so you make the original comment, get asked about it, and you have an issue with it but don’t need to go any further?

Not really sure what the point of the original comment was then. You could have just not said anything. Personally, I think it’s stupid that anyone would have an issue with it.

Jesus. This f***ing place is a nightmare sometimes. If you wanna discuss this further you can PM me. I made the comment. Someone didn't like it and I realized continuing this further would be counterproductive and take away from the thread so I PM'd Lou who now understands where I was coming from. Again, feel free to do the same. Thanks for calling my thoughts stupid though. Opinions are like assholes. Everyones got one and if you don't agree with mine, pretty sure I won't lose sleep over it.

Reactions: Estlin

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Looking forward to a world where no one has to "come out" about anything :nod:

Unless it's about being a lazy son of a gun! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad