Waived: Shinkaruk, Poirier, and Wotherspoon.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I never understand why these guys sometimes get waived the day after being scratched from a pre-season game. At least give the guy one more shot.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
RIP Hunter. Remember how bad we all wanted him with the 22nd OA?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Kind of surprised about Poirier I thought he played well last night. He's outplayed a bunch of the PTOs and Lazar to this point imo.

Shinkaruk has been super disappointing, didn't create anything even after A good AHL season.

Do we know if/when these players are actually being sent down? Are Klimchuk and Andersson surviving the next round of cuts?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
None of these are surprising.

Poirier needs a strong season with Stockton to show he's actually rebounded. Shinkaruk and Wotherspoon are probably done with the organization next summer if not claimed now.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Assuming this means they've been sent down, I think that's all she wrote for Wotherspoon and Shinkaruk. I still have hope for Poirier.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Surprised Kulak isn't there as well.

Even if you want to keep him as the 6/7th, which makes no sense, have him clear now do you have some flexibility.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I'm disappointed with how the competition for that last D spot has gone.

I hope they give it to Andersson. He's played just as good as the rest of them (better at times) and is set to gain the most from playing in the NHL. The others appear to have reached their plateau. Andersson will probably improve as the season goes on and I think he'll have a better chance of making strides playing in the NHL vs playing in the AHL, even if he gets less time playing in Calgary, he needs to be exposed to this level of competition.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kind of surprised about Poirier I thought he played well last night. He's outplayed a bunch of the PTOs and Lazar to this point imo.

Shinkaruk has been super disappointing, didn't create anything even after A good AHL season.

Do we know if/when these players are actually being sent down? Are Klimchuk and Andersson surviving the next round of cuts?

Poirier looked good last night. Honestly, looked like he wouldn't be out of place in the NHL. But he hasn't played well enough to take someone else's job, in my opinion. In the end, none of these guys is likely to get claimed. Poirier would benefit from more time in the AHL to earn himself a call-up.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Not surprised at all.

Remaining D-men are:

Bartkowski - will probably stick as the 7th D-man and spend most of the season eating popcorn in the press box

Kulak - will likely be waived or will become the 6th D-man if they don't keep Anderson up

Andersson (not waiver eligible) - hopefully he sticks and plays with Stone this season, if not he's back to the AHL as he's waiver exempt

Valimaki (not waiver eligible) - back to either Jr or even better yet, to Finland to play in their elite league for a season or two.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Making large decisions based on a few preseason games is bad management. Kulak will be great and we'll all laugh at the thought that about half of you wanted him waived instead of Bartkowski or Spoon.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Making large decisions based on a few preseason games is bad management.

Truth. I'm not saying preseason doesn't have its place... Kulak himself wouldn't have played more than his first NHL game without two great consecutive preseasons to get noticed, but that doesn't mean they didn't still consider what the player actually brought to the table over their entire pro careers and so forth.

The bigger concern is that Bartkowski is not even average in that role. I really hope we pick up a Ryan Stanton or Brandon Davidson or something to be #7

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Game 1. They were solid together in all three zones and had their share of time against Connor McDavid. Only 5v5 goal I remember them being scored against was Stone putting the puck into his own net.

Interesting.

Anyway, with Wotherspoon waived I think it's become a two horse race for the last spot. Don't think there's a chance we see Bart sent down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad