Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I don't think Berube is well-regarded, Binnington dragged him to a cup, and he's been bad outside of that.

Are our players studs or duds? Has he been given a lot to work with?

Berube seemed to be well-regarded and their fans were blaming losing Petro to their fall. But of course every coach has some flaws.

Our players are definitely duds but they lost to worse teams than them. I have to pin the blame on coaching just as much as the core when they were rolling out 100-point teams every season including before Keefe got there.

Reactions: arso40

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I don't believe half this board knows anything about the systems our current coach runs, and now people are studying other team's coaches? This is interesting.

Do you not watch any of the games?

It’s very simple to see the systems and scheme of various teams if you actually watch the games.

Boston’s penalty kill aggressively pressures the puck. This is ridiculously obvious if you’ve watched any games during this series. Their penalty killers are constantly in the face of the puck handler forcing them to make accurate passes under duress.

Toronto’s penalty kill is extremely passive by comparison. The penalty killers sit back in the traditional four man box and let the Boston power play move the puck at will.

I’d suggest watching Game 5 tonight and you may be able to recognize the difference between the two approaches.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Do you not watch any of the games?

It’s very simple to see the systems and scheme of various teams if you actually watch the games.

Boston’s penalty kill aggressively pressures the puck. This is ridiculously obvious if you’ve watched any games during this series. Their penalty killers are constantly in the face of the puck handler forcing them to make accurate passes under duress.

Toronto’s penalty kill is extremely passive by comparison. The penalty killers sit back in the traditional four man box and let the Boston power play move the puck at will.

I’d suggest watching Game 5 tonight and you may be able to recognize the difference between the two approaches.

Toronto has an aggressive penalty kill, I'd take your own advice and watch some more games...

Hilarious post though.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Toronto has an aggressive penalty kill, I'd take your own advice and watch some more games...

Hilarious post though.

Were you watching that Bruins penalty kill, my friend?

The announcers even explained it for you - - “the Boston penalty killers just don’t allow the Leafs any time”.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Despite the NHL's coaches carousal only three have ever won the cup with more than one team.

Even if you add in the guys who made it to the finals with different teams, but only won with one, we're still talking a small handful of coaches. Considering the league has been in operation so long that's a little surprising. I think I'd rather they went with someone experienced who HASN'T won a cup yet.

Someone like Gallant or Beaudreau.

Too bad Treliving will probably go with Boucher. No offense to Boucher. But his history suggests he isn't any good at managing dressing room relationships.

Considering how fractured I suspect the Leafs are I don't think Boucher is the right guy for the job.

At least he's gotten past the second round in the playoffs I guess. Thats better than the current head coach. It's setting the bar petty low but at minimum Boucher's probably a better coach and human being than Keefe.

Even if it is only by the next increment.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I am fine with the coaching change, but Brind'Amour hasn't done much with a more well-balanced team and one of the best D cores.

Not sure what people are expecting of him.

His greatest accomplishments (I know, better than Keefe), are getting swept twice in the 3rd round.

36 and 32 in the playoffs (.526%), and 1 win over .500 before this season.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I am fine with the coaching change, but Brind'Amour hasn't done much with a more well-balanced team and one of the best D cores.

His greatest accomplishments (I know, better than Keefe), are getting swept twice in the 3rd round.

Rod has squeezed about as much as he can from teams that lack top tier talent and have had suspect goaltending. Yes his teams are balanced and have a strong defensive group, but that's exactly why their ceiling has been tapped out at the ECF. They haven't had that extra juice they need from either elite goaltending or elite forward talent to go along with the strong defensive play. As good as Aho, Svech, Teravainen, Staal are, besides Aho none of them are really in the upper echelon of players who can put up big playoff numbers. Jarvis is progressing really well but is still only 22 years old in year 3, and they just traded for Guentzel who is another good complimentary piece. And in terms of goaltending, we've seen the Freddy Andersen experience first hand, plus Raanta and Kochetkov are 1B at best type goalies. They haven't had the pieces like Eichel, Stone, Kucherov, Point, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar etc who are elite playoff producers, or a Vasi who shuts the door.

Despite this he's made it past the first round 5/6 years, and to ECF twice so far, in what is generally a loaded division (minus this year).

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Rod has squeezed about as much as he can from teams that lack top tier talent and have had suspect goaltending. Yes his teams are balanced and have a strong defensive group, but that's exactly why their ceiling has been tapped out at the ECF. They haven't had that extra juice they need from either elite goaltending or elite forward talent to go along with the strong defensive play. As good as Aho, Svech, Teravainen, Staal are, besides Aho none of them are really in the upper echelon of players who can put up big playoff numbers. Jarvis is progressing really well but is still only 22 years old in year 3, and they just traded for Guentzel who is another good complimentary piece. And in terms of goaltending, we've seen the Freddy Andersen experience first hand, plus Raanta and Kochetkov are 1B at best type goalies. They haven't had the pieces like Eichel, Stone, Kucherov, Point, MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar etc who are elite playoff producers, or a Vasi who shuts the door.

Despite this he's made it past the first round 5/6 years, and to ECF twice so far, in what is generally a loaded division (minus this year).

What top-end talent are they missing?

Svechnikov, Aho, Slavin, all studs.

They have likely the second-best D core (off the top of my head).

Did Dubas put together a better team than Waddell?

Carolina is a really good team, and I think Brind'Amour is a good coach, he's also just come up short a lot.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I think his coaching has maximized their potential big time.

Compare his forwards to the best in the business. Last season Aho was below par, Svech got injured, and Rod was left working with a 70-point center as his best forward.

His goaltenders are average and Freddy got injured as usual. Let's see what happens this season as he has more to work with.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Carolina is a really good team, and I think Brind'Amour is a good coach, he's also just come up short a lot.
I literally just told you lol, I broke down their entire top six. I already acknowledged they have great defense, I am talking about offense and goaltending. Svech is a 70 pt winger with middling defense and produces at a sub 60 pt pace in playoffs, he's not at the level of Rantanen, Kucherov, Stone or even Landeskog. After that there is Teravainen, Staal, Jarvis, good complimentary players but all types of players that many other good teams have, not stars (Jarvis could turn into one). Their offense is a far cry from what Tampa, Colorado or Vegas had when they won Cups.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Commercial break

Aho is an 80 point guy.

Svechnikov's career season was 30 goals and 59 points in 2022, and he's been a 50 point guy since.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Despite the NHL's coaches carousal only three have ever won the cup with more than one team.

Even if you add in the guys who made it to the finals with different teams, but only won with one, we're still talking a small handful of coaches. Considering the league has been in operation so long that's a little surprising. I think I'd rather they went with someone experienced who HASN'T won a cup yet.

Someone like Gallant or Beaudreau.

Too bad Treliving will probably go with Boucher. No offense to Boucher. But his history suggests he isn't any good at managing dressing room relationships.

Considering how fractured I suspect the Leafs are I don't think Boucher is the right guy for the job.

At least he's gotten past the second round in the playoffs I guess. Thats better than the current head coach. It's setting the bar petty low but at minimum Boucher's probably a better coach and human being than Keefe.

Even if it is only by the next increment.

I'd rather not have the guy who is responsible fort their anemic power-play be in charge of the entire team.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Commercial break

Aho is an 80 point guy.

Svechnikov's career season was 30 goals and 59 points in 2022, and he's been a 50 point guy since.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 2.50.20 PM.png

A little disingenuous (and wrong, but I assume it was you mistyping).

I think his coaching has maximized their potential big time.

Compare his forwards to the best in the business. Last season Aho was below par, Svech got injured, and Rod was left working with a 70-point center as his best forward.

His goaltenders are average and Freddy got injured as usual. Let's see what happens this season as he has more to work with.

His forwards are worse than ours, but his depth is better and his D and goaltending is better.

I agree though, I think Dubas put together better teams than Waddell, so that likely means Brind'Amour is a better coach, just not sure how much better since I like Carolina as a team as well.

The media is making their own story... led by this clown.

Not shocked.

• Haha
Reactions: Bomber0104

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Hilarious post though.
They switched it during the series I'm pretty sure only problem is marner in particular isn't being as aggressive and using his iq and good sticc to distrupt plays doesn't always work though but yeah your right it's aggressive now

His team plays hard motor always running would be a perfect coach for us the core would buy in

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Dregger admited on ovcerdrive Brind'amour's camp leaked to him they are ready to walk and go to another team if they dont get what he wants

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
View attachment 863146

Yes, I mistyped, but the point remains the same. An offensive winger who doesn't even pace for 80 points is definitely not a "stud".

Carolina has an excellent blueline. They have good depth up front, but they lack the offensive talent that most elite teams have. They have less than decent goaltending. Brind'Amour gets the most out of that team.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Cooper
Rod
Berube
Sullivan

ECHL coaches

Keefe

I think a good coach in Toronto has to be a good strategist, motivator, experienced, and can manage the circus around the team. It's not for everyone.

For me Cooper is the best to handle this city. He's also the best coach among them. I think this would be like hitting the jackpot when it comes to coaching but Rod is also an excellent option who has all of the necessary qualities to get the job done.

Berube and Sullivan are a tier below as they make a few coaching mistakes from time to time. But both are proven winners making them ten times better than Keefe.
You forgot Emilio Estevez between the ECHL guys and Keefe

• Haha
Reactions: Eternal Leaf

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
anyone going to give him credit? lockdown defensive game without matthews. or is he still the worst coach in the NHL?

Reactions: Mr_Fun

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
View attachment 863146

His forwards are worse than ours, but his depth is better and his D and goaltending is better.

I agree though, I think Dubas put together better teams than Waddell, so that likely means Brind'Amour is a better coach, just not sure how much better since I like Carolina as a team as well.

The media is making their own story... led by this clown.

Not shocked.

"Worst playoff team we've ever seen"

"Domi is a terrible add over Kerfoot"

"Bertuzzi should have been traded in November for anything"

"Edmonson and Lybyushkin are terrible defencemen"

Obviously I could keep going but wow, the things you keep typing out that continue to age so horribly horribly horribly wrong...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CelticDruid and IPS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad