Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It's not a question of whether they can, but whether they want to.

Mirtle has repeatedly discussed just how unhappy the upper execs are at the lack of Leafs success, and has pointed to the sheer amount of money they've thrown at the project with 0 results. It almost sounds to me like the TeleComms, together, are deciding that they no longer want to be moneybags MLSE when it coems to the Leafs, until some actual tangible results are shown.

Answered above. Just speculation.
If this is indeed true, and ownership is unwilling to eat a couple million for a coaching change, that is definitely not a good sign for this franchise moving forward.

Reactions: HEAVY DUTY

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Mirtle has repeatedly discussed just how unhappy the upper execs are at the lack of Leafs success, and has pointed to the sheer amount of money they've thrown at the project with 0 results.

But I don't believe this part for a second considering they just approved an extension for Nylander that gave him everything he could possibly ask for and then some. And last Summer they were all for giving Dubas extension, obviously okay with Keefe's extension and Shanahan still has a job.

If they truly were fed up with the losing they could have told Treliving to hold off on the Nylander extension (for one) until the season is over. If the team went on a good run, then fine, back up the Brink's truck. If not, then maybe he walks July 1.

But for an organization allegedly "sick" of spending without results saving $11.5M a year for the next 8 years would be welcomed and put towards bringing in players who can deliver.

I do hope, however, that bringing in Pelley changes their approach to a "win or be held accountable" mindset. And that applies to everyone, even star players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Cooper has been pining for this job for a couple seasons now. Hopefully he has some type of out clause in his contract.
MLSE would love nothing better than to bring in the leagues top Coach no matter the cost.

This fan base is going to need some appeasing, that would be a huge start.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Cooper has been pining for this job for a couple seasons now. Hopefully he has some type of out clause in his contract.
MLSE would love nothing better than to bring in the leagues top Coach no matter the cost.

This fan base is going to need some appeasing, that would be a huge start.
I'd also be very closely following the situation in Carolina as well - Rod the Bod still doesn't have a contract, and the added benefit of going after a really good coach like that, is that you can probably bring his entire staff along with him, which is something he values massively.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd also be very closely following the situation in Carolina as well - Rod the Bod still doesn't have a contract, and the added benefit of going after a really good coach like that, is that you can probably bring his entire staff along with him, which is something he values massively.
He would be a solid second choice for me.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
The man who lost to Keefe and then lost to the Panthers in the same amount of games as Keefe?

Also, assuming everyone thinks that Tampa is built for the playoffs since they have some guys who step up in the playoffs.

It's weird to want this guy as the new coach.
Really, you want to play this game?

Reactions: seventieslord

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Copper, Sullivan, Rod, Berube - how do you rank these guys in terms of replacements for Keefe.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Copper, Sullivan, Rod, Berube - how do you rank these guys in terms of replacements for Keefe.
All are better than Keefe. Cooper may be the best along with Rod but Berube is no slouch

I may go with Rod but could be convinced easily to go with Cooper just as well.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
One thing for certain, Pelley is not afraid to spend OPM. He made that terrible deal for Rogers getting the hockey rights. Paying off contracts should not be an issue. Not sure of his desire to fire people though. Think he is a decent guy personally but, I wouldn't know.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
One thing for certain, Pelley is not afraid to spend OPM. He made that terrible deal for Rogers getting the hockey rights. Paying off contracts should not be an issue. Not sure of his desire to fire people though. Think he is a decent guy personally but, I wouldn't know.
watch him on bob mccowan. loves shanny
the only way shanny gets booted is if the board has had enough and they lay the hammer not pelley

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Treliving really should've fired Keefe. Not to absolve the core but he's clearly the biggest issue with this team. It was especially obvious after the Florida series loss. Frankly Shanahan should've done it himself without deferring to Treliving, or hell maybe Shanahan was against the firing and wanted to keep him in which case Brendan's meddling is just as pervasive as ever. Laviolette was the best option out there but if him being an American wouldn't want to come here Gerard Gallant would've been a much better option. I get that the man hasn't won the whole thing and seems to have an extremely short shelf life but he has at the very least gone deep in the playoffs and has managed to win legitimate division titles. A far sight better than Keefe who's greatest accomplishments include winning a fake division and fluking out a first round win on the backs of his stars.

Reactions: The Masters

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Treliving really should've fired Keefe. Not to absolve the core but he's clearly the biggest issue with this team. It was especially obvious after the Florida series loss. Frankly Shanahan should've done it himself without deferring to Treliving, or hell maybe Shanahan was against the firing and wanted to keep him in which case Brendan's meddling is just as pervasive as ever. Laviolette was the best option out there but if him being an American wouldn't want to come here Gerard Gallant would've been a much better option. I get that the man hasn't won the whole thing and seems to have an extremely short shelf life but he has at the very least gone deep in the playoffs and has managed to win legitimate division titles. A far sight better than Keefe who's greatest accomplishments include winning a fake division and fluking out a first round win on the backs of his stars.
Tre bought himself time I think. He can now use his bullet on keefe. This was Tre's "evaluation" year. Finding a new coach this off-season (hopefully cooper or rod) and re-shaping this team are on his to do list. Maybe he was always going to target Cooper? He couldn't have done that if he hired someone new last year.

The surgery on this team will take at LEAST 2 off-seasons IMO. Also, 2025 goalie UFA's look incredible.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Cooper
Rod
Berube
Sullivan

ECHL coaches

Keefe

I think a good coach in Toronto has to be a good strategist, motivator, experienced, and can manage the circus around the team. It's not for everyone.

For me Cooper is the best to handle this city. He's also the best coach among them. I think this would be like hitting the jackpot when it comes to coaching but Rod is also an excellent option who has all of the necessary qualities to get the job done.

Berube and Sullivan are a tier below as they make a few coaching mistakes from time to time. But both are proven winners making them ten times better than Keefe.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It makes sense that he would be interested, but this is intriguing for you to say. Do tell us more...

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Can anyone tell me how we were even capable of one series win when we had the worst GM, worst coach, and most overpaid playoff chokers?

It makes no sense to me how they've managed to win a game, let alone a series.

Cooper
Rod
Berube
Sullivan

ECHL coaches

Keefe

I think a good coach in Toronto has to be a good strategist, motivator, experienced, and can manage the circus around the team. It's not for everyone.

For me Cooper is the best to handle this city. He's also the best coach among them. I think this would be like hitting the jackpot when it comes to coaching but Rod is also an excellent option who has all of the necessary qualities to get the job done.

Berube and Sullivan are a tier below as they make a few coaching mistakes from time to time. But both are proven winners making them ten times better than Keefe.

I don't believe half this board knows anything about the systems our current coach runs, and now people are studying other team's coaches? This is interesting.

What mistakes do those two make? I'd be curious, in detail, to hear.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
watch him on bob mccowan. loves shanny
the only way shanny gets booted is if the board has had enough and they lay the hammer not pelley
Disappointing if true, Shanahan has a huge hand in this mess, if not the biggest.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I don't believe half this board knows anything about the systems our current coach runs, and now people are studying other team's coaches? This is interesting.

What mistakes do those two make? I'd be curious, in detail, to hear.

Never said I studied them nor am I some hockey genius.

I am just using feedback from the fans of those teams over the years.

Berube got fired for not adapting and designing a system that didn't work for his team. They went 0-10 because of that during the regular season. Sullivan was criticized for overutilizing inferior players. At one point he managed to overuse two 4th lines as the bottom six and started giving them heavier minutes causing him to not adapt.

Having said all of this, they are still well-regarded and good coaches. I also feel the rosters given to them were weaker than what Toronto has right now, which heightened their struggles. Keefe has been given a lot more to work with over the years and completely botched it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Never said I studied them nor am I some hockey genius.

I am just using feedback from the fans of those teams over the years.

Berube got fired for not adapting and designing a system that didn't work for his team. They went 0-10 because of that during the regular season. Sullivan was criticized for overutilizing inferior players. At one point he managed to overuse two 4th lines as the bottom six and started giving them heavier minutes causing him to not adapt.

Having said all of this, they are still well-regarded and good coaches. I also feel the rosters given to them were weaker than what Toronto has right now, which heightened their struggles. Keefe has been given a lot more to work with over the years and completely botched it.

I don't think Berube is well-regarded, Binnington dragged him to a cup, and he's been bad outside of that.

Are our players studs or duds? Has he been given a lot to work with?

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
I don't mind Treliving didn't fire Keefe. We can't have a dinosaur gm in today game. Not firing keefe show that Treliving isn't stubborn and isnt stuck in his own ways. A dinosaur gm would hand pick a coach no matter what. He gave Keefe a fair shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad