Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He makes like 2 mil a year or somewhere around that. Hardly an amount this organization would lose sleep over.
Plus there is the offset clause they put in every coaches deal...so if he gets another gig while his contract is still going, the money he makes from the new team is deducted from what MLSE owes him.

Reactions: CincoHolio

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The only dim ember of happiness I have in this series is that next game is probably going to be the last of this forgettable turd of a coach.

Reactions: authentic

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The only dim ember of happiness I have in this series is that next game is probably going to be the last of this forgettable turd of a coach.

Spare us the agony. Save people the money.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Every bits count. Like that speech from Any Given Sunday, if you put all the inched together, thats the diff between winning and losing.....
Keefe is one of the problems. Players too. MGT too.
Leaf ownership is the worst. This isn't a sports franchise, it is a government agency or a corporate write-off. The team just smells of failure and misplaced priorities.

I'm not even sure drastic changes will bring fans back for a little while, they have to feel humiliated. I missed half a season. Barring an overhaul, I may miss more next year. One has to maintain a little bit of pride, more than some of the players have over these years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leaf ownership is the worst. This isn't a sports franchise, it is a government agency or a corporate write-off. The team just smells of failure and misplaced priorities.

I'm not even sure drastic changes will bring fans back for a little while, they have to feel humiliated. I missed half a season. Barring an overhaul, I may miss more next year. One has to maintain a little bit of pride, more than some of the players have over these years.

I think any rational person would understand even loyal fans taking a step back from this organization. Its essentially doing it for the love of the team history.

A show of protest.

Reactions: CincoHolio

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They very much have a financial motivation for deep playoff runs and cups.

Sure, but it's not as simple as pouring money into it until you win.
Especially since in the cap era you can't just buy a winning roster.

Everyone else, sure, but as we've seen personally the new guy doesn't always do better (Babcock -> Keefe), and makes the team even more hesitant to fire guys under contract if the payout eats significantly into those profits.

If, on the other hand, the organization puts a priority on winning, cost be damned, then you're onto something. Then the notion of paying off a fired Babcock through the remainder of his contract (estimated at 8 years/$6.75M per year) doesn't scare them off firing Shanahan and adding his leftover deal to the tab, plus the cost of his replacement.

For a team singularly focused on winning, it's "He's not doing the job, he's gone." Unfortunately, I don't believe MLSE thinks that way. I think they see it as cost vs. benefit, and as they've already seen it's a huge cost to get the best people with very little guarantee of success.

Bottom line: Either MLSE places the priority on results (with an emphasis on accountability), no matter the cost, or we're never going to see a winning team in Toronto until they sell.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

You can say a lot of things about ownership, but this isn't the TPP running the team anymore - they want to win, and have spent A LOT of money attempting to do so.

It goes beyond just spending to the cap, as well - the stars get HUGE signing bonuses on July 1st every year, they've put a ton of money into the front office, off-ice amenities and skills development tools, and they haven't been afraid to pay a lot of money to bolster the Marlies on 1-way deals or stash money onto LTIR as needed while ensuring the team still has a high operating budget.

They are telecomms too - so they've acknowledged that while they have tons of money, they don't have a clue how to build a winning organization, so they've put key people in charge of sporting operations, including Leiweke and Shanahan and Masai, etc. and they've largely stayed out of their way and let them do their jobs.

Fans can gripe with ticket prices, absolutely. But to suggest ownership is "bad" or "doesn't want to win", in 2024, is just ridiculous, unfounded, and flat out wrong.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Well, they do invested on Raptors and TFC to win Championships.
I would not say it is not a priority for them to Win in Hockey.
However, I do agree with you and some other posters that the Leafs are generating more than enough incomes to allow them not to push for winning

horner

May 22, 2007
I've never understood this line of thinking. MLSE essentially doesn't pay any player salaries in the playoffs, so any home playoff games are a massive contribution to profits. They very much have a financial motivation for deep playoff runs and

I've never understood this line of thinking. MLSE essentially doesn't pay any player salaries in the playoffs, so any home playoff games are a massive contribution to profits. They very much have a financial motivation for deep playoff runs and cups.
Same here if they won a cup the amount of closet leaf fan incredible you couldn't count that high to the money they would make..

Reactions: Leafs4Life77

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Well, they do invested on Raptors and TFC to win Championships.
I would not say it is not a priority for them to Win in Hockey.
However, I do agree with you and some other posters that the Leafs are generating more than enough incomes to allow them not to push for winning

Raptors were fairly popular but not established yet. TFC was a growing market. They had to get it done to grow or cement status. Leafs have loyal fans rain or shine. Raps team value skyrocketed after winning. A lot of new fans.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Does this guy have sources

Weekes is a legit source who has broken many deals first. He also put out a Tweet before this yesterday, talking about the 'coaching carousel'

This definitely sounds like either Brind'Amour (needs a new deal this summer) or Cooper to me. If there's any chance Cooper is available I'm sure the Leafs throw a boatload of cash at him. He has accomplished everything in Tampa and they are going to need to retool/rebuild shortly as their contention window is pretty much over and the cupboards are also kinda bare. Cooper also strikes me as someone who likes a challenge and the limelight, and his family were Leaf fans while he was growing up, he even joked about how he had to check with his dad who he was gonna cheer for when Tampa and Toronto played each other in 2022.

Unless he is referring to Mike Sullivan, who has recently been linked with New Jersey. But can't see New Jersey throwing out that kind of money for a coach.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Weekes is a legit source who has broken many deals first. He also put out a Tweet before this yesterday, talking about the 'coaching carousel'

This definitely sounds like either Brind'Amour (needs a new deal this summer) or Cooper to me. If there's any chance Cooper is available I'm sure the Leafs throw a boatload of cash at him. He has accomplished everything in Tampa and they are going to need to retool/rebuild shortly as their contention window is pretty much over and the cupboards are also kinda bare. Cooper also strikes me as someone who likes a challenge and the limelight, and his family were Leaf fans while he was growing up, he even joked about how he had to check with his dad who he was gonna cheer for when Tampa and Toronto played each other in 2022.

Unless he is referring to Mike Sullivan, who has recently been linked with New Jersey. But can't see New Jersey throwing out that kind of money for a coach.

Wow, Cooper or Rod the Bod would be unreal.

Reactions: horner

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
No doubt Rod or Jon would be home run hires and yes we need much much more on personel

rod is from ottawa i bet staois and owner going after him behind the scenes

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Cooper also strikes me as someone who likes a challenge and the limelight, and his family were Leaf fans while he was growing up, he even joked about how he had to check with his dad who he was gonna cheer for when Tampa and Toronto played each other in 2022.
For better or worse, he's definitely got that same something that Burke and Babcock had before coming.

3rd time is the charm, perhaps.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Anyone catch Keefe today? Holy shit what a defeated demeanour, sounded flat and almost bummed. Unreal, giving off major loser vibes.
Not surprising, but I know someone very close to him. And he was telling him weeks ago that he knew he was getting fired. He is out of answers. I am guessing that tweet above is referring to Brind A'mour.

Physic boldly predicted the Leafs wouldn't win this year. But they did say they would win 2 in the next 5 years. Bring me in some Cooper, Brind A'mour and McDavid. I will check back in 2030.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad