Shed of Vengeance (Memorial of Vengeance)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ok, so a lot has happened again.

My trial period is about to end and since I am expected to do some afternoon shifts in May, I can safely assume they count me in. It's stressful and some weeks have been a mild degree of hellish. It's been fairly chill this week though as we have been given reinforcements at our ward by Special Forces by which I mean a colleague who has 4 years of experience in the clinic (three of us regulars have less than a year and a half combined), is really smart and helpful. More interesting cases include a man admitted for examinations to be admitted on a waiting list for lung transplantation, a non-tuberculous mycobacterial infection, and people with chest drains. And we are getting Ukrainians with suspected TBC now and then. Gonna have a 4 day holiday and 1 day of vacation starting this Friday. I will be visiting Missus' family on Easter... so that's gonna be curious for my Easter-ignoring-beyond-atheist ass (I obviously don't mind people celebrating it).

I also had a 1-year anniversary with her. I still have to buy that toaster... (not a surprise, we need a new toaster, the old one broke down).

And as has been mentioned in some GDT before, I am an uncle. To a niece. She's a little ball of thirst, hunger, cries, and intense baby staring, but she's cute so she's forgiven. Didn't see her since maternity hospital, since work is a handful at times and I am still... without a car. Not that big of an issue with the current gas prices and the hospital being this close to the current place, but it's a bit more complicated to reach mom/sis. Yeah, because right now we are living together, because my step-sister, her husband, and two kids are currently waiting for their new house to get finished, so my flat is kind of occupied. And my own sister... is gonna be there at the end of summer/start of the autumn because of window renovation, so before I commit to any interior changes that involve us two living there I need these two events to be out of the way.

And for the first time since... In December 2017 I actually scored a goal in a league match. It was sweet.

Stories of a life well-lived, bro.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
So... an update. I will actually split this into two.

As far as work goes, I made some progress, I'd say. Most doctors will say that the first three months are a purgatory. I do agree with that. I do have to add that doctors are like wild animals when they are young. They have to grow fast. And while I am far from perfect, I can say that I suck less. When I got less than 6 people on the ward, I am actually working ahead of schedule most days, while going home reasonably early. There were two days when I basically had 17... people (15 on a bed + the turnaround of admission and dismission). We are shrinking to a single ward on holidays because of maintenance and vacations. I was the sole doctor who remained at the ward from the week before, my work bro returned from holiday and she came into a situation where she had to pick up 8 people from scratch, two of them being COVID isolations. The third doctor was fresh from school having her second week at work. She's a pretty damn fast learner, but yeah I am not giving her more than 3 people (one big room) on her 6th day. She did make visits in one room for me. I had two 12-hour shifts that week (actually 13+14). I survived this thanks to LUST FOR VENGEANCE, energy drinks, going mad with tranquil fury, Ajattara's Noitumaa album (@Lempo @Unhinged Finn @Stubu @Porvari SAATANA PALVO MEITÄ) and the thought of finally going home and being with the one and only. Who had a 24-hour shift on Monday, so we didn't see one another for almost two days- Monday was planned, on Tuesday I switched for another colleague because instead of telling her (she's on rotation) what was going on with 15 fu^king people, I opted to ask girls about the other 11 and actually be paid for my overtime. And the second evening shift was with the chief so that was cool. Had a short chat with him... and let's just say he understands me messing up some exams due to loss is something he understands firsthand. The evening shifts were actually pretty timid (one basic admission of community-acquired pneumonia), so that gave me time to actually finish the paperwork from the rest of the day).

When vacations ended and everyone got healthy we actually ended up with 6 doctors in the ward. Which led to a weird situation where we are actually looking for work at times. Today, I am starting my vacation and I could have had all my work done at 11 am. On the other hand, this easy mode allowed me to talk with students. Had 2 Czech ones on practice for a week and two weeks respectively. They might end up as my colleagues so I could talk about the logistics side of things as well. Also had a student from South India studying in Bulgaria. Helped me get my Medicine English back into some shape and actually got me to start studying a bit myself. It's fun realizing the leap one makes in a few months. My experience of 7 months actually is enough to tell them stuff they might find useful or/and interesting. Antibiotics, taking arterial blood (one of my favorite things to do), what to focus on, physical examinations, spirometry, interpretation of blood tests, corticoids...

The fun part of the experience with the Indian student was that I actually improved my knowledge of the region vastly... by playing new Age of Empires 2 DE campaigns. That being said, she was surprised by my ability to pronounce Malayalam words which was a skill acquired prior to the release. And today she actually asked me for a blessing. I looked it up a bit and it is honestly a completely new experience because it was her way of displaying her respect to an elder. That was a new one. I must say.

Yeah and I had some of my firsts. Telling someone they are gonna die. Telling someone they are gonna die soon and we got nothing for them, just palliative care. Telling it to their family. Telling a 19-20-year-old girl who just finished her first year at med school her mom's brain metastases progressed. Getting gifts, refusing bribes, helping people get lung transplants, helping people obtain at-home oxygen concentrators (I absolutely love that because it involves taking arterial blood @hockey diva @PredsV82 ). And so on.

Also, it seems my floorball club will survive another season. A season that might not suck because of us being short on players. We actually have a coach that is not a player.

Also, I sported my MVENGEANCE jersey in the net after several months. And by my standards (of being a Defenseman and not a Goalie), I actually kicked ass.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, and I am engaged. For more than three months actually. We were in Prague for a weekend. National Theatre, some sightseeing with something that resembles a native guide (I do remember some stuff and she's Slovak so that gives me an advantage). On the third day, we had our baggage at the reception and had some time to stroll around some more because we were traveling by train. Went to see the Charles Bridge, Hradčany, Petřín (the park, not the tower, trees offered some much-welcomed shade, it was pretty hot at that time of May) and once we got down back to the city center... she looked for someplace to eat at. There was one with good google reviews really close... We went there. The lights were off. So I hit the doorbell. A friendly man in his fifties showed up and asked if have a reservation. I said we didn't and asked if we could get some food regardless. He said that it shouldn't be an issue.
Once seated he told us that his establishment is rather specific. It doesn't have a regular opening time, people usually have reservations. He may have two guests, he may have thirty. At that time were the two guests. And that he focuses on meat. by which I mean MEAT. And quality alcohol. My beloved happens to be quite carnivorous so she sure didn't mind. Her stomach was kind of upset so she opted for pigeons, I went for beef. I think it was Texan navel. I went Medium. I usually go Medium Rare in most places, places that seem like they actually make the meat really well I try Medium. I haven't had meat this good since Dad died. I actually teared up a bit, I am not gonna lie.
And yeah, she obviously couldn't resist that beef in the end. Because it was actually freaking medium. She hates when it's rare in the middle and medium on the surface.
Also had an appetizer - meat and meat products that I have issues translating, but I will eventually show pictures if anyone is interested. With bread and grilled vegetable. Best fu^king bread I ever had. Fat from Wagyu beef and beer was involved in its creation. He also gave us some tips for wine and we tried some really good booze - rum, whiskey, fruit spirits... some of it was actually free samples in the form of shots with the man.

So yeah, absolutely wonderful experience. And so once we left this beautiful establishment... and were just at the edge of a big street of Prague city center bustling with droves of tourists, I knelt. And just before she said yes, she told me to keep my knee above the pavement so I don't get my jeans dirty. Yeah, she's like that.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, and I am engaged. For more than three months actually. We were in Prague for a weekend. National Theatre, some sightseeing with something that resembles a native guide (I do remember some stuff and she's Slovak so that gives me an advantage). On the third day, we had our baggage at the reception and had some time to stroll around some more because we were traveling by train. Went to see the Charles Bridge, Hradčany, Petřín (the park, not the tower, trees offered some much-welcomed shade, it was pretty hot at that time of May) and once we got down back to the city center... she looked for someplace to eat at. There was one with good google reviews really close... We went there. The lights were off. So I hit the doorbell. A friendly man in his fifties showed up and asked if have a reservation. I said we didn't and asked if we could get some food regardless. He said that it shouldn't be an issue.
Once seated he told us that his establishment is rather specific. It doesn't have a regular opening time, people usually have reservations. He may have two guests, he may have thirty. At that time were the two guests. And that he focuses on meat. by which I mean MEAT. And quality alcohol. My beloved happens to be quite carnivorous so she sure didn't mind. Her stomach was kind of upset so she opted for pigeons, I went for beef. I think it was Texan navel. I went Medium. I usually go Medium Rare in most places, places that seem like they actually make the meat really well I try Medium. I haven't had meat this good since Dad died. I actually teared up a bit, I am not gonna lie.
And yeah, she obviously couldn't resist that beef in the end. Because it was actually freaking medium. She hates when it's rare in the middle and medium on the surface.
Also had an appetizer - meat and meat products that I have issues translating, but I will eventually show pictures if anyone is interested. With bread and grilled vegetable. Best fu^king bread I ever had. Fat from Wagyu beef and beer was involved in its creation. He also gave us some tips for wine and we tried some really good booze - rum, whiskey, fruit spirits... some of it was actually free samples in the form of shots with the man.

So yeah, absolutely wonderful experience. And so once we left this beautiful establishment... and were just at the edge of a big street of Prague city center bustling with droves of tourists, I knelt. And just before she said yes, she told me to keep my knee above the pavement so I don't get my jeans dirty. Yeah, she's like that.
Congratulations to you and your fiancé. A night of good beef followed by a marriage proposal is about as good as it gets.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Congratulations!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Awesome! Congratulations to you both!

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So... an update. I will actually split this into two.

As far as work goes, I made some progress, I'd say. Most doctors will say that the first three months are a purgatory. I do agree with that. I do have to add that doctors are like wild animals when they are young. They have to grow fast. And while I am far from perfect, I can say that I suck less. When I got less than 6 people on the ward, I am actually working ahead of schedule most days, while going home reasonably early. There were two days when I basically had 17... people (15 on a bed + the turnaround of admission and dismission). We are shrinking to a single ward on holidays because of maintenance and vacations. I was the sole doctor who remained at the ward from the week before, my work bro returned from holiday and she came into a situation where she had to pick up 8 people from scratch, two of them being COVID isolations. The third doctor was fresh from school having her second week at work. She's a pretty damn fast learner, but yeah I am not giving her more than 3 people (one big room) on her 6th day. She did make visits in one room for me. I had two 12-hour shifts that week (actually 13+14). I survived this thanks to LUST FOR VENGEANCE, energy drinks, going mad with tranquil fury, Ajattara's Noitumaa album (@Lempo @Unhinged Finn @Stubu @Porvari SAATANA PALVO MEITÄ) and the thought of finally going home and being with the one and only. Who had a 24-hour shift on Monday, so we didn't see one another for almost two days- Monday was planned, on Tuesday I switched for another colleague because instead of telling her (she's on rotation) what was going on with 15 fu^king people, I opted to ask girls about the other 11 and actually be paid for my overtime. And the second evening shift was with the chief so that was cool. Had a short chat with him... and let's just say he understands me messing up some exams due to loss is something he understands firsthand. The evening shifts were actually pretty timid (one basic admission of community-acquired pneumonia), so that gave me time to actually finish the paperwork from the rest of the day).

When vacations ended and everyone got healthy we actually ended up with 6 doctors in the ward. Which led to a weird situation where we are actually looking for work at times. Today, I am starting my vacation and I could have had all my work done at 11 am. On the other hand, this easy mode allowed me to talk with students. Had 2 Czech ones on practice for a week and two weeks respectively. They might end up as my colleagues so I could talk about the logistics side of things as well. Also had a student from South India studying in Bulgaria. Helped me get my Medicine English back into some shape and actually got me to start studying a bit myself. It's fun realizing the leap one makes in a few months. My experience of 7 months actually is enough to tell them stuff they might find useful or/and interesting. Antibiotics, taking arterial blood (one of my favorite things to do), what to focus on, physical examinations, spirometry, interpretation of blood tests, corticoids...

The fun part of the experience with the Indian student was that I actually improved my knowledge of the region vastly... by playing new Age of Empires 2 DE campaigns. That being said, she was surprised by my ability to pronounce Malayalam words which was a skill acquired prior to the release. And today she actually asked me for a blessing. I looked it up a bit and it is honestly a completely new experience because it was her way of displaying her respect to an elder. That was a new one. I must say.

Yeah and I had some of my firsts. Telling someone they are gonna die. Telling someone they are gonna die soon and we got nothing for them, just palliative care. Telling it to their family. Telling a 19-20-year-old girl who just finished her first year at med school her mom's brain metastases progressed. Getting gifts, refusing bribes, helping people get lung transplants, helping people obtain at-home oxygen concentrators (I absolutely love that because it involves taking arterial blood @hockey diva @PredsV82 ). And so on.

Also, it seems my floorball club will survive another season. A season that might not suck because of us being short on players. We actually have a coach that is not a player.

Also, I sported my MVENGEANCE jersey in the net after several months. And by my standards (of being a Defenseman and not a Goalie), I actually kicked ass.
Congrats! Those tough conversations with patients and/or their families never gets easier but you do get better at having them.

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Congratulations MV on your engagement!

I work in an outpatient primary care setting, so I don’t do a lot of procedures. Joint injections are about my limit. I haven’t started an IV or drawn blood in years. Probably should refresh that skill set honestly. I, too, have had to deliver bad news. I say a little prayer before making the phone call. Sounds like you are managing pretty well. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Better to ask for help and “look bad” than to cause a patient harm.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Congratulations MV on your engagement!

I work in an outpatient primary care setting, so I don’t do a lot of procedures. Joint injections are about my limit. I haven’t started an IV or drawn blood in years. Probably should refresh that skill set honestly. I, too, have had to deliver bad news. I say a little prayer before making the phone call. Sounds like you are managing pretty well. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Better to ask for help and “look bad” than to cause a patient harm.
I usually do these “live”. Probably the nature of being at a ward.

Not gonna lie, I usually mumble a curse before I go in.

We have a psychologist at the clinic so I can offer her help to the patient or their family. As far as asking goes when it comes to this… I would mostly ask for the specific stuff related to the illness. But I rarely ask in those instances as I prefer not to tell people numbers. I usually go with different degrees of bad.

But in general I ask a lot. Ability to not get annoyed by phone calls quickly is one of my big strengths.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Had my first rotation. At Oncology. Which is kinda funny, because Chief at Oncology would like to take care of our tumours.

Which is funny because no one else at their clinic wants to. Because unlike them we can bronchoscope. Because unlike them we have a fu^king ICU. Because unlike them we have people who deal with lung cancer really really well.

Interesting guy though and I respect the hell out of him if only, because he speaks about 7 languages really effectively, about 7 to a decent extent and learning 3 more.
Work at their ward was kind of a rest for me. For one they wrote chemo protocols for me, for two their jobs are way less chaotic compared to ours. People either get treatment and they have very little comorbidities (other internal issues) or are… well at the stage where you just treat symptoms.

They lack the good old middle stage. That’s what I like about dealing with pneumonia. It’s dangerous, BUT YOU CAN WIN. You can tell it “NO THIS GRANDMA WILL DIE IN A PAINLESS MATTER BY THE HAND OF A HEART DISEASE.”
Obviously we don’t always win. In the long run we tie at best. Funnily I sucked at microbiology and infectious disease at school. Who cares now.

Sometimes the skill lies in knowing when to stop.

@PredsV82 we started intermed care. Two rooms with two beds. Bit scary, but cool. I would like to learn some IC skills. In time. I love drains. Drains are cool. As far as ENT goes, most relatable thing for you would be tracheostomies and tracheal stenoses.

By the way. What’s your favorite ATB?
I do love Meropenem from the heavy guns, colomycine close second because of the ability to administer via inhalation.

But man, basic PNC with klavulonic acid. Kills H. Influenzae. Kills most Streps. Great sh^t for community acquired infections.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
On a personal note, wedding is getting closer. And it’s scary. Rollercoasterish at times. As you might have noticed I do not take pride in traits of a lion, but those of a honey badger. TENACITY AND MADNESS.

But we do work out with a trainer at least once a week together and that helps me personally and the relationship too.

Also Darkness finally had some progress at work. Starting PhD, promise of being learnt ropes at ICU and one day at cardiology ambulance. She’s not the most patient person and she doesn’t react well to getting stuck. She moves back or forth. No compromises.

Well I am the one who always go sideways, because there is this smaller, but more accessible door that is being ignored.
She breaks rules, I bend them. I am fluid, she’s explosive.

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
So. BEEN A WHILE JERKS AND BITCHES.

ONCE AGAIN. THE PLAYOFFS AWAIT.

And once again we are reminded… THAT PEOPLE ARE NOT EQUAL. They should have equal opportunity, but in the end SUCCESS IS DICTATED BY NOTHING ELSE BUT SKILL … AND LUCK.

DREAD IT. HATE IT. NO MATTER. WE ARE ALL GETTING FU^KED BY THE REAPER. That is the only equality that is certain in life.

Therefore, Hurricanes.
DO NOT STAND THERE AND JUST EMBRACE DESTINY, FATE OR WHATEVER BULLSH^T CONCEPT.

KICK THAT CONCEPT IN THE ARSE, GRAB IT BY THE BALLS AND HANG IT IN THE TOWN SQUARE BY THE ANKLES AND LAUGH AT IT.

BE THE CHANGE. DISPLAY YOUR SKILL.
DICTATE YOUR DESTINY.

ENFORCE INEQUALITY ON YOUR FOES.
Otherwise. They will.

VENGEANCE IS MY ONLY SOLACE.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
On a personal note, wedding is getting closer. And it’s scary. Rollercoasterish at times. As you might have noticed I do not take pride in traits of a lion, but those of a honey badger. TENACITY AND MADNESS.

But we do work out with a trainer at least once a week together and that helps me personally and the relationship too.

Also Darkness finally had some progress at work. Starting PhD, promise of being learnt ropes at ICU and one day at cardiology ambulance. She’s not the most patient person and she doesn’t react well to getting stuck. She moves back or forth. No compromises.

Well I am the one who always go sideways, because there is this smaller, but more accessible door that is being ignored.
She breaks rules, I bend them. I am fluid, she’s explosive.
Congrats sir, a great match and you will balance and support each other. I know I am married to one of those explosive ladies and she is amazing . Scary at times but amazing.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
WHAT’S UP

Attachments

• IMG_8897.jpeg
    IMG_8897.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad