Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Yeah, make a career left winger switch sides. Yeah, it could work...but they could have kept a certain Radulov, who was involved in SEVENTEEN of Weber's points last season.

Drouin plays both wing, he interchanged in Tampa with ease but hey what do I know, lots of guys told me he was a center.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I sure hope people who were using +/- or GA/60 last year to explain how amazing Weber was, will admit they were wrong. Those stats don't mean much IMO. Sure, sometimes they make sense, but luck/bad luck can really mess up someone's stats.

Although I have to say Weber seems to be taking more chances to create some offense this year, and it has back-fired a few times, like tonight on the 3rd goal. I can't really blame him for that, that's what happens when you play on a struggling team.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yeah, make a career left winger switch sides. Yeah, it could work...but they could have kept a certain Radulov, who was involved in SEVENTEEN of Weber's points last season.

Playing on the right side on the PP would make it easier for him to set up one time for weber and if the try to block the passing lane than he could just walking in and have a better shooting angle, I don't really see how or why that would have any issue with the transition... They could also have keep Markov who made a career out of setting up guy for one timer on the PP ...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I sure hope people who were using +/- or GA/60 last year to explain how amazing Weber was, will admit they were wrong. Those stats don't mean much IMO. Sure, sometimes they make sense, but luck/bad luck can really mess up someone's stats.

Although I have to say Weber seems to be taking more chances to create some offense this year, and it has back-fired a few times, like tonight on the 3rd goal. I can't really blame him for that, that's what happens when you play on a struggling team.
He's taking chances because he is now THE GUY on defense offensively and defensively. No one is there to help him much except for Mete. Interestingly, other Dmen do better as THE GUY on the defenseman and can truly be considered elite for their ability to carry on with a lesser partner, like Karlsson or Doughty. But not Mr. Weber. He's THE GUY and he's not performing like "THE GUY" on other teams who have won Cups.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Playing on the right side on the PP would make it easier for him to set up one time for weber and if the try to block the passing lane than he could just walking in and have a better shooting angle, I don't really see how or why that would have any issue with the transition... They could also have keep Markov who made a career out of setting up guy for one timer on the PP ...
Point taken. Drouin could be positioned on the RW. But then, who is the C on that PP line? Drouin can't play two positions at once.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
He does what it says on the tin, he’s never going to be offensive minded and he’s definitely not going to PK. Get over it

Apr 28, 2010
Gotta get this out of the way...... I hate this "trade" with a passion!

With that said, recently, I'm starting think that the team would probably be in a better position if Patches is stripped of captaincy and give it to Weber.

I think Weber can handle it better and Patches (I'd prefer him getting traded) can just go back to focusing on his game with less responsibilities.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Gotta get this out of the way...... I hate this "trade" with a passion!

With that said, recently, I'm starting think that the team would probably be in a better position if Patches is stripped of captaincy and give it to Weber.

I think Weber can handle it better and Patches (I'd prefer him getting traded) can just go back to focusing on his game with less responsibilities.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Weber is already one of the leaders on the team, how in the world would a different letter on his jersey change anything for Weber? We were insulted for not believing that Weber could lead this team to wins just by walking into the locker-room. Weber's leadership is massively overrated, like his skills.

What in the world did Weber's captaincy do for Nashville, anyway? I mean, his GM traded him for a guy with "character" issues. The only good thing I can foresee from him becoming a captain is that it would put the spotlight on him, which might force the hockey media to vomit the truth about the guy: he just isn't that good, and we lost the trade badly.

As for Pacioretty, removing the captaincy from him wouldn't do him any good. His captaincy exposed him for who he really is, it didn't change him. He's never been a good leader or a very consistent and reliable player. Plus, the guy is fragile enough as it is: I fear that he may not even have the confidence to tie his laces properly if we took away his captaincy. He would be embarrassed forever. As much as I can't stand him anymore, the team is better off trading him than removing the captaincy away from him.

I will never forgive Molson, Bergevin, Therrien, and the hockey media for creating this mess by scapegoating you know who so we could be stuck with Weber's "character" and Pacioretty's "leadership".

Galchenioretty

Galchenyuk 1 G in last 18 playoff Gs
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I don't understand this line of thinking. Weber is already one of the leaders on the team, how in the world would a different letter on his jersey change anything for Weber? We were insulted for not believing that Weber could lead this team to wins just by walking into the locker-room. Weber's leadership is massively overrated, like his skills.

What in the world did Weber's captaincy do for Nashville, anyway? I mean, his GM traded him for a guy with "character" issues. The only good thing I can foresee from him becoming a captain is that it would put the spotlight on him, which might force the hockey media to vomit the truth about the guy: he just isn't that good, and we lost the trade badly.

As for Pacioretty, removing the captaincy from him wouldn't do him any good. His captaincy exposed him for who he really is, it didn't change him. He's never been a good leader or a very consistent and reliable player. Plus, the guy is fragile enough as it is: I fear that he may not even have the confidence to tie his laces properly if we took away his captaincy. He would be embarrassed forever. As much as I can't stand him anymore, the team is better off trading him than removing the captaincy away from him.

I will never forgive Molson, Bergevin, Therrien, and the hockey media for creating this mess by scapegoating you know who so we could be stuck with Weber's "character" and Pacioretty's "leadership".

Also is there any benefit to making our aging, overpaid DMan who we traded the most popular player on the team for the f***ing captain? The C in Montreal isn't going to help, especially with the direction the team is headed in. Max will get traded at some point between now and next October, assuming we keep tanking. Starting a stupid captaincy narrative is probably useless and maybe slightly negative for his trade value around the lg. Once Max is cashed in on, then we can make Weber the captain and bitch about him.

Apr 28, 2010

Pacioretty being the captain isn't doing him any good either. Trust me, 80% of my posts in the last 3 weeks have been about wanting to get rid of him but I just don't see him going anywhere.

But I guess I'm just desperate for changes. Like anything. Lets just not have a captain then. Lets just wait for that player who actually deserves it. I think wearing that "letter" C still means something especially for an Original 6 team like Montreal. The franchise that won 24 cups is a big fn joke now. Embarrassing.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It's not his fault he's not a good fit for the needs of this team. He'd provide much more impact on a roster with quality forwards. Habs' holes upfront basically puts unfair pressure on him to drive offense 5 on 5 - but that was never his game.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void

That's the guy who hired the latter two. Stop passing the buck and blame the main dunce in charge. This isn't on Therrien, it's not on Clod, it's not even on Bergevin. It's on Molson.

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
Love when we beat EK, and Weber seem so much better...

Weber is really Elite (BTW, so was the guy trade for him)

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I trust that some of us are now learning how sample size works?

And for those following 7 of 9 points EV or SH. If patches didn't eff up every PP with a weak shot from 40 feet Weber probably has a few more PP points. Also had one goal called back, and no empty net goals :). And covering for a rookie defenseman learning the game.

Whats intersting is his playing with Mete means getting more offensive starts. Alzner is playing the hardest minutes. As o zone starts go up so do even strength points. I've pointed out many times that Webers poor EV numbers were a function of usage. Small sample, but so far that is playing out. I suspect he lands around 50 points but if he had been utilized like other guys he's comparared against he probably has 100 more career points.

Start in your own end more often then not against the other teams top lines and you are not going to put up 65-70 points from the back end. I don't think any d man has ever put up huge EV points being utilized as a shutdown. Burns for instance is at 68 percent o zone starts this year and really broke out when SJ started using him as basically a 4th forward. He has zero Norris trophies if he starts in his own end 55 percent of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad