Player Discussion Shea Weber - [mod warning post #26)]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's been our best defenseman this season.

Do you want him to get out of position to hit people? Drop the gloves to fight for no reason? I'm not sure what you're asking of him but it seems unrealistic to say the least.
Be a 7.8 million dollar #1 d gamebreaker. Tilt the ice.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal

Do you want him to get out of position to hit people? Drop the gloves to fight for no reason? I'm not sure what you're asking of him but it seems unrealistic to say the least.
Personally, at his cap hit and being considered the number 1d on our team i'd like to see him create more offense and be better at moving the puck in his own zone.

Reactions: Michelangelo

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Be a leaderly leader and lead us out of this dog-shit start? You know, live up to his reputation. (of course I don't expect this to happen, it's just funny to me that some people did)

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
It was a terrible trade that was all smoke and mirrors for greater problems within the organization (if that wasn't evident after MT was canned, isn't it evident now???) and it looks like an absolute joke now. The only reason the euphoria around this trade has died down is because of that thing that cures all ails... time. People have learned to accept it and move on.

But really, with each passing game since about game 60 of last season this trade has turned into a clear fail. When the trade was made we all heard that we would have to wait and see and we couldn't pass judgment right away. Well, PK went to the SC finals and had a great showing in the playoffs as expected, meanwhile the Habs lost in underwhelming fashion to an average NYR team and the team looks like a complete dumpster fire right now.

Where has Weber's supposed God-like leadership skills led us so far?

Our supposed biggest issue after the 2015-2016 season was that the locker room was rotten to the core and that's why they couldn't surmount a Price injury. How is that working out right now, with a healthy Price??

We even heard that, even though PK was the only one that performed in that clusterf*** of a season, he was such a distraction that he absolutely needed to get dealt for the greater good!!

There is too much wrong with this trade, and every time I think about it and see that the clown in purple pants is still employed it infuriates me like nothing else. Luckily I have developed other hobbies over the past year so my mind is not even close to being on this team as much as it once was.

Weber is solid, PK made me want to tune in and watch games. Solid does not make up for what was given up, not even close.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Be a 7.8 million dollar #1 d gamebreaker. Tilt the ice.
To be fair to Weber, he was not that player when Habs acquired him. He was never a offensive catalyst 5 on 5. He is playing as well as he could and it's not his fault this team needs don't fit his strengths.

He'd be a perfect fit on the Leafs, Hawks, Avs, Oilers, or Penguins.

Reactions: Michelangelo

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Personally, at his cap hit and being considered the number 1d on our team i'd like to see him create more offense and be better at moving the puck in his own zone.
That's a silly thing to expect. Weber is paid what's paid in order to be great defensively and to blast slapshots passed the goalies. That's been his game since he was in junior. You shouldn't expect him to suddenly turn into a different player since Bergevin didn't address the team's needs.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

We are 1-6!
So what if its what's needed?
Weber is at the image of this team.
No leadershil, no passion, no intensity, no persinality...
f*** him!

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
That's a silly thing to expect. Weber is paid what's paid in order to be great defensively and to blast slapshots passed the goalies. That's been his game since he was in junior. You shouldn't expect him to suddenly turn into a different player since Bergevin didn't address the team's needs.
Yea you're right it just frustrates me how he really doesn't bring that much to the table for his salary and all the praise he gets around the league as a leader and top defenceman.

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
We are 1-6!
So what if its what's needed?
Weber is at the image of this team.
No leadershil, no passion, no intensity, no persinality...
**** him!
We're 1-6 because the team isn't scoring, Price isn't stopping the puck and the defense has been mostly bad.

You know who has been good all season up to now? The top pairing of Mete and Weber.

I don't imagine you think that the 19 year old is carrying Weber to the good play?

Look, I'm not happy with how the team is playing either, but to blame Weber for how Bergevin assembled the team is silly.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He's never going to do that. Its not his game. Weber is a very good defenceman, but you can't ask him to be something he's not.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
We're 1-6 because the team isn't scoring, Price isn't stopping the puck and the defense has been mostly bad.

You know who has been good all season up to now? The top pairing of Mete and Weber.

I don't imagine you think that the 19 year old is carrying Weber to the good play?

Look, I'm not happy with how the team is playing either, but to blame Weber for how Bergevin assembled the team is silly.

They've been ok, but I wouldn't say they've been good. Relative to most of other team they've looked good.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Don't disagree, but this isn't really the place to discuss bad trades.

Seems like it should be appropriate to talk about a trade in which a player was involved in that player's thread.

I'd say mostly to make the point that we're not the ones asking Weber to be a makerly maker of differences to the club: Marc Bergevin is. I'm quite satisfied with Weber's play in a vacuum. One cannot help but be. But we're not in a vacuum, now are we?

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Seems like it should be appropriate to talk about a trade in which a player was involved in that player's thread.

I'd say mostly to make the point that we're not the ones asking Weber to be a makerly maker of differences to the club: Marc Bergevin is. I'm quite satisfied with Weber's play in a vacuum. One cannot help but be. But we're not in a vacuum, now are we?

I don't make the rules.

I do agree that Bergevin is more or less asking Weber to be a difference maker all over the ice. And he just can't do that. Weber is very positionally sound, has a cannon of a shot and is a solid net front presence. But he's not going to feed stretch passes or carry the puck or create chances. He's never really done that. And I'm not sure the front office ever really understood that you need at least one person that can do that on a D core.

Reactions: Andy

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Yea you're right it just frustrates me how he really doesn't bring that much to the table for his salary and all the praise he gets around the league as a leader and top defenceman.
Weber is the prototypical defender that old school coaches love: big, cleans the crease, solid positionally, doesn't take many chances, never really puts the spotlight on himself in a bad way - in short, he plays the right way. It's like an old-boys country club and Weber fits right in with the prevalent mentality.

Also, a lot of what was said back then was based on quotes by Babcock (aka the head-and shoulders best coach in the league, duh!) and Weber's success at the WCH, a place where he was probably the best possible complimentary piece both on and off the ice to great Canadian rosters.

The issue, however, has always been at the NHL level where, in a cap world, you are forced to make choices based on the kind of players you believe will have the biggest impact on your success. MB chose a Weber type over a Subban type because he believes that this kind of player has a bigger impact on success than an elite PMD that is great at both ends and that can tilt the ice in his team's favour when in need of a goal. He also chose to make his aging goalie the cornerstone of his franchise because, supposedly, he believes that this is how you build a contender. This is HIS vision, this is how our GM thinks we will win. :help:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
#webersfault....lol

What a bunch of nancies you guys are

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Not good enough.
We are 1-6!
Weber is part of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
They both are helping each others with their differents skills. Put Benn, for example, with Weber and look at them trying to make a real first pass, pretty funny.

Thank god we have that 19 yo. Weber would've been ******, and it wouldn't have been his fault.
They definitely compliment each other nicely.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg

The Habs have scored zero goals when Weber's been on the ice at even-strength so far this season. Granted, he like all the team are getting unlucky on percentages even if they're the worst shooting team in modern NHL history but you can't outscore the opposition if you're not scoring. Elite defencemen are supposed to drive offense and Weber doesn't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad