Value of: Shayne Gostisbehere

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Its hard to gauge his value but i think he's the type of player that has inflated value among "NHL fans".

If a trade were to happen i think he'd return less than expected. GM's emphasize defensive play nowadays, they might view a player like Ghost less highly because of that. Who knows tho, GM's are hockey fans too, someone might really really like him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We don't have anyone to replace him, and we wouldn't be able to take back cap.

So realistically, in this 'hypothetical', it'd take an up and coming 1C on an ELC to play behind/eventually take over for Giroux.

TL;DR - not happening.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
He's not even on the block. Everyone just started talking because the coach benched him for one game. He's a great coach, but lineup personnel is his biggest weakness. There's no rift or dissatisfaction here. You don't trade a guy that got second in Calder votes, really could have won with stricter criteria. He is a unique talent that fits this team very well. He and sanhiem are going to be great when they don't have to play with horrendous dmen like ghost has done for much of this year.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
Nylander and kapanen/Dermott

Probably wouldn't do it though and I doubt Philly would either, value is close enough to where it's hard for both teams

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He's not even on the block. Everyone just started talking because the coach benched him for one game. He's a great coach, but lineup personnel is his biggest weakness. There's no rift or dissatisfaction here. You don't trade a guy that got second in Calder votes, really could have won with stricter criteria. He is a unique talent that fits this team very well. He and sanhiem are going to be great when they don't have to play with horrendous dmen like ghost has done for much of this year.
I'm not saying he IS on the block, but Calder voting has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on a player's trade status.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

This^

however, to answer OP, if Phi wanted to do a bigger deal with an eye to cap and balance, I could see
Stepan + Klein + ___________
for
Ghost + _____________ (cap dumps)

Rangers not offering likes of Miller, Kreider, etc

again, no deal to be had

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Wouldn't trade much for ghost from the leafs. He's the last type of defenseman we need.

We have more than enough offensive defenseman, and their semi reliable in their own end.

Personally, our best offer would be laughable.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
No, Leafs need Defence, not forwards. Did I not just say that?

So ghost is is a forward ( what ignorant fans label high scoring defenseman without watching them) then Rielly is what? A line grinder? He's not better defensively and he's much worse offensively.

Watch throwing stones with that glass house

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
GM's emphasize defensive play nowadays, they might view a player like Ghost less highly because of that

yeah, that's typical thinking,
however Gostisbehere is an exceptional exception,
maybe the second most exciting, impactful and productive offensive-D in league after EK. And just starting out.

I don't think they'd trade him.

But if they were offered an exceptional young goalie, along with an under 28 talented D-man to take his minutes, you might get their attention

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
yeah, that's typical thinking,
however Gostisbehere is an exceptional exception,
maybe the second most exciting, impactful and productive offensive-D in league after EK. And just starting out.

I don't think they'd trade him.

But if they were offered an exceptional young goalie, along with an under 28 talented D-man to take his minutes, you might get their attention

The Flyers would probably try out Stolarz before trading Gostisbehere. They could probably trade for both a goalie and a defenseman for picks anyway. Decent goaltending isn't exactly a rare commodity. Players of Gostisbehere's ilk are pretty dang unique

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad