Confirmed with Link: Shayne Gostisbehere to Carolina for a 2026 3rd

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So now Staal is the ghost
We'll that a novel spin to a well-loved classic.
fetchimage

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
Mind you, you're looking at the positively Jurassic GM who extended Fisto for $5.1m x 5 years against all reason and sanity.

Edit: who also added a pick to offload Gostisbehere to Yotes, in his moment of great brainstorm.
his contract would be worth every penny if he had to play each game in Kit Fisto cosplay under his flyers sweater.

it's not like it would make him worse, and kids would love it!

hayen

Apr 7, 2017
Completely agreed.

I'll also go so far as to say, if he continues playing like this and helping our PP to this extent, he's going to make it extremely difficult for us to not re-up him this offseason. I have no idea where he'd fit, but we've been desperate for this kind of PP potency for years and year
I retired from Union College and one of my fortunes is that I got to watch Ghost for 3 years at the school.
He started great in Philly and fell off but the entire team did which is why a couple years later the leadership was changed.
I see Striiker here giving input. He is a Philly fan and has been here supporting Ghost for the same reasons. Simply the Flyers had a different plan for his game and the influence didnt work. It wasnt just Ghost, the team went from a playoff bid one year to tanking.
What he is doing is what he does but mishaps will occur.
I believe it may have been said but if he were that bad then why does he have strong hockey fan support by so many? Teammates like him which also says a lot. In my opinion, Carolina is lucky to have him.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
On the one hand, you’re a mod and don’t have to ask permission.

On the other hand, trying to stop a thread on hcanes board from going off topic is like trying to stop a tidal wave with a rake.
Thats funny don’t care who ya are

Are we all part of an Attention deficit disorder group disguised as a hockey forum?
Wait , you guys don’t have to to pay to come here??

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Tyson Barrie seems like a spot-on comp for Gostisbehere. That $4.5M aav is popular it seems with offensive d-men in their late 20s/early 30s it seems.

I don’t see the Canes giving him that unless he’s only signing for 1yr.

and Barrie is passed around like a peace pipe on a vision quest. He's overpaid and hard to slot correctly into lineups.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Last night was not a good night for the third pair... Chatfield had a roooooooough night before sitting out.... having said that, so did Necas including hanging Chat out to dry trying to cover up Necas's brain dead play and falling down instead...

The third MTL goal highlights some of the opinions of Ghost defense. He's not going to be super physical in denying the stick or space of an attacker.. he did nothing to tie up his man and prevent that cross ice chance.... he just kind of waved his stick around while backed off and no tight gap control... he might as well have not even been there...

Cumulatively he brings more positives than drawbacks. He will have plays or nights like last night... its just part of the whole package.. hopefully with a bit more time and practice sessions he is a bit tighter and cleaner in his d play but that's the difference to get that extra offense and pp capability.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Last night was not a good night for the third pair... Chatfield had a roooooooough night before sitting out.... having said that, so did Necas including hanging Chat out to dry trying to cover up Necas's brain dead play and falling down instead...

The third MTL goal highlights some of the opinions of Ghost defense. He's not going to be super physical in denying the stick or space of an attacker.. he did nothing to tie up his man and prevent that cross ice chance.... he just kind of waved his stick around while backed off and no tight gap control... he might as well have not even been there...

Cumulatively he brings more positives than drawbacks. He will have plays or nights like last night... its just part of the whole package.. hopefully with a bit more time and practice sessions he is a bit tighter and cleaner in his d play but that's the difference to get that extra offense and pp capability.

Yep. Bad night for Ghost, worse night for Chatfield. I think Rod needs to think long and hard about how they are deployed on the road. Seemed like they had several defensive zone starts which I think is probably a no-no in the playoffs. But hey, it was Game 62. Better to try it and find that out now (in a game they won nonetheless).

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
As a Flyers fan I reject the notion that Ghost ever fell off. Flyers management and the coaches over the last few years of his tenure, did what they do to all the talented offensive players in our system, coach the offense out of them in favor of defense first mentality, and punish any form of risk taking. Gostisbehere is the antithesis of this mentality. He makes dazzling plays, has a wicked f***ing shot and knows how to create space for himself and whoever else is on his lune. His lateral movement in particular along the blue line and on zone exits or through the neutral zone is elite. He gets burned occasionally and it will look bad. But the rest of his game more than makes up for that. The Flyers tanked his value by insisting on playing Provorov who stinks at offense on the PP1, and turning Ghost into a 3rd pairing turnstile with no help to be found, then further gave him negative value by waiving him. He didn't fall off. The Flyers actively sabotaged his value and career.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As a Flyers fan I reject the notion that Ghost ever fell off. Flyers management and the coaches over the last few years of his tenure, did what they do to all the talented offensive players in our system, coach the offense out of them in favor of defense first mentality, and punish any form of risk taking. Gostisbehere is the antithesis of this mentality. He makes dazzling plays, has a wicked f***ing shot and knows how to create space for himself and whoever else is on his lune. His lateral movement in particular along the blue line and on zone exits or through the neutral zone is elite. He gets burned occasionally and it will look bad. But the rest of his game more than makes up for that. The Flyers tanked his value by insisting on playing Provorov who stinks at offense on the PP1, and turning Ghost into a 3rd pairing turnstile with no help to be found, then further gave him negative value by waiving him. He didn't fall off. The Flyers actively sabotaged his value and career.
... I could see a benefit for Carolina in becoming a go-to destination for sidelined good players to regain their value in.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
... I could see a benefit for Carolina in becoming a go-to destination for sidelined good players to regain their value in.
There could be a name for it. Something about sending characters that play to a different location because they weren’t a good fit as originally thought.

But it needs to include something about an isolated location since Carolina is far from any other team.

…I’ll keep workshopping this.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Do I need to move all the Staal stuff over to the roster thread? C'mon guys, this thread is supposed to be about Ghost. And fried chicken, because every thread is about that.
Wait, is that thinly veiled reference to "the Ghost and Mr. Chicken"? I LOVE that movie--Don Knotts is awesome!!!!

Wait, it there a defenseman named Knotts that can be brought into to play with Ghost?

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
Wait, is that thinly veiled reference to "the Ghost and Mr. Chicken"? I LOVE that movie--Don Knotts is awesome!!!!

Wait, it there a defenseman named Knotts that can be brought into to play with Ghost?
If we could find one named Limpet, that would be incredible.

Reactions: ONO94

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
There could be a name for it. Something about sending characters that play to a different location because they weren’t a good fit as originally thought.

But it needs to include something about an isolated location since Carolina is far from any other team.

…I’ll keep workshopping this.
Maybe it could reference a cultural touchstone of the holiday season, like A Charlie Brown Christmas

Reactions: Chrispy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad