Confirmed with Link: Shawn Thornton signs 1-year extension, 750k AAV

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
The money may not be a big deal; but him taking the spot of someone who deserves it and can actually help, is a pretty big deal.
Someone has to be in the pressbox anyway, whether it's Thornton or one of the kids won't make a big difference. Shawn has played well since like November too.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Danny_Mc_Bride2.gif

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He hasn't even been bad this year but his player type is dead. Just make him assistant coach, his PP ideas can't be worse than Kelly's amirite

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I have no problem with this. Low-risk signing. He plays about half the games, and isn't a big liability on the ice. He's a -2 this year playing about 9min/game.

Real good leadership with two Cup rings.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
Intangibles guy and he fights. Plus knowing he is sticking around could help us through the rest of this year. Good timed minimum deal.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I'm in the minority of being ok with this. It's apparent how well-liked and how much he contributes off the ice to the team and the community. If the guy doesn't want to hang up the skates and take some kind of position with the team, you might as well re-sign him. I'm thinking he'll only play in about half of the games anyway and for the amount he's earning, it's not a factor.

I don't even care if he fights much. I think we do need some kind of enforcer/agitator player though to play in some games as we're not an overall scary team. Sometimes the culture in the locker room is more beneficial in the playoffs than on the ice. Thornton has been there before with the Bruins and that can be very useful for a team of players that is very inexperienced.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
At the beginning of the year I would have been upset with this but his play on the ice has improved quite a bit and he is a decent 4th line player now.
I really think he earned the contract for his locker room leadership and community work, he sounds like a real team-first guy.

Rat Trick

#CatsAreComing
Apr 23, 2014
Could've been worse news. I'm okay with this. He's basically 13/14th forward, so it doesn't really matter or affect our winning.

Whos' next? :)

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden
Don't mind this at all. He was terrible in the beginning of the season but lately he has been pretty decent actually. Low risk, low cap hit...I rather him sitting a fair bit in the pressbox then a future talent with a potential future on the team. He has proven he can still do a job for this team when needed to and he is well liked and brings alot to this team off the ice as well. Don't mind this at all.

If he play badly, it wouldn't be problematic to send him to the AHL if they so wished. :nod:

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
The money may not be a big deal; but him taking the spot of someone who deserves it and can actually help, is a pretty big deal.

Whose spot is he taking in the press box? You want one of our young guys sitting for 40-50 games instead of playing in the AHL?

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
question. is it a 2 way contract? i don't think so. that's 1 less contract we can hand out. it's not terrible, and thorton has been okay, but the contract space could be important.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
question. is it a 2 way contract? i don't think so. that's 1 less contract we can hand out. it's not terrible, and thorton has been okay, but the contract space could be important.
Any contract, excluding players that have been sent back to juniors (Crouse, for example) or have an AHL contract only (Schremp), count towards the 50 contract limit. 1-way or 2-way won't make a difference, nor does where the player is playing (NHL/AHL/ECHL), other than in the potential salary earned by the player.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Any contract, excluding players that have been sent back to juniors (Crouse, for example) or have an AHL contract only (Schremp), count towards the 50 contract limit. 1-way or 2-way won't make a difference, nor does where the player is playing (NHL/AHL/ECHL), other than in the potential salary earned by the player.

Speaking of the Crouse contract, what was the point of signing him if they were just going to send him back down without a nine game trial?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Speaking of the Crouse contract, what was the point of signing him if they were just going to send him back down without a nine game trial?
It was signed in July and I think he would've got that trial if Brickley hadn't been so impressive.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Part of a stanley cup locker room. This can not be underrated. His contribution off the ice is 10x more important than on it.

Thank you... totally fine with this. Can't say how many times the young players have mentioned his name during interviews as someone that has a great influence on the locker room. You need veterans like him to mentor the young guys (personally I feel this is part of why Edmonton sucks year after year).

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Good. He doesn't hurt the team, doesn't let the opposition get away with things when he can handle them, and is apparently great in the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad