Confirmed with Link: Shawn Thornton signs 1-year extension, 750k AAV

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
OK I guess, he's played decent since the streak. Though I hope he doesn't play more than 30 games next year.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Sure he's loved in the locker room, but if they still wanted a tough guy, I rather them waited till FA for a younger, faster enforcer.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
I get that he's a great guy but come on. That spot belongs to someone younger, faster, stronger and that actually does something about it when other teams take liberties on our players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
I get that he's a great guy but come on. That spot belongs to someone younger, faster, stronger and that actually does something about it when other teams take liberties on our players.
Agreed. Thornton might have had some purpose on someone's roster a few years ago but that time has passed. I'd much rather give his roster spot to an up-and-coming prospect fighting to break the top-12, or a more veteran bottom-6 hustler who can backcheck and hit.

Unfortunately Thornton provides very little of that these days. If he's such a good locker room presence let him retire and bring him on as an assistant coach or an athletic trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
While he might be great off the ice his play on the ice outweighs those off ice positives.

I wish he had retired and replaced Potvin

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Only 750 aav. This is nothing

Yeah, I mean I'm not one to say he should be retained, but his impact on the cap is nothing and he won't play much, barring injuries. It's a one year deal as well, so if they want to walk away at any point (trade, bury him in minors, etc.) it won't matter. They likely did this just to keep him happy and because it took minimal effort to get it done.

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I'm fairly certain they've talked to him that he'll only play 30-40 games and might have to waive him to send him up and down to AHL to mentor the next young kids there as well during the season. He won't be picked up by other clubs. There are many avenues here. I could see him working with McCabe in near future. He seems to love that type of role from all accounts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad