Injury Report: Shaw

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
If Shaw does make it back he might want to change his style of play a little. He can still be an agitator but doesn't need to be dropping the gloves anymore!!!

Reactions: tgh

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Not to go all tin foil hatty, but do you think Bergevin knew Shaw was basically one hit away from his career being over?
I mean head injuries are notoriously unpredictable. I don't think Bergevin knew anything Bowman didn't but Bowman gambled and lost. It wouldn't be the first time a GM takes a chance on a vet with an injury history. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Not to go all tin foil hatty, but do you think Bergevin knew Shaw was basically one hit away from his career being over?

Even Montreal fans we’re wondering if he could be moved at all during the offseason. It was a high risk, low reward move that backfired.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bold: No it was high risk, high reward.

Maybe. There are two components. His injuries and the price. That’s why I downgraded it to low reward. It’s probably medium reward. At best, he is a second liner when healthy. But he could have played 82 games like a second liner and still cost the team a top 5/10 pick in the 2nd round plus the 3rd. In that sense, the reward would have been meaningless.

This is a philosophical difference where when trading top picks away, missing the playoffs isn’t an option IMO. If we’re just looking at the trade in a vacuum, then sure, high risk, high reward.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe. There are two components. His injuries and the price. That’s why I downgraded it to low reward. It’s probably medium reward. At best, he is a second liner when healthy. But he could have played 82 games like a second liner and still cost the team a top 5/10 pick in the 2nd round plus the 3rd. In that sense, the reward would have been meaningless.

This is a philosophical difference where when trading top picks away, missing the playoffs isn’t an option IMO. If we’re just looking at the trade in a vacuum, then sure, high risk, high reward.

His injuries and the price are the risk and have nothing to do with the reward.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

As a hab fan we kinda thought as much.

He went for a hit on Greg Pateryn when he was in Dallas and Shaw got knocked out from it. He wasn't as physical the year after, but he had his career year.

Hopefully he's fine enough to have a normal life if he has to retire.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Berg saw a chance to sell high on asset who knew would regress and or get injured and make him untradeable. smart move by him and now we are looking at cap hell for a guy who had no impact. traded for 3 guys that had a history of inguries. at least 1 of them we paid nothing for. 2nd and 3rd and solid cheap 3rd line forward. would we be worse keeping the picks and Joki and not trading for Matta? Kahun is on pace for 50pts Joki and Kahun make us a lot better and a lot cheaper and we keep 2nd and 3rd picks and we have nylander and matta. bad trades

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Berg saw a chance to sell high on asset who knew would regress and or get injured and make him untradeable. smart move by him and now we are looking at cap hell for a guy who had no impact. traded for 3 guys that had a history of inguries. at least 1 of them we paid nothing for. 2nd and 3rd and solid cheap 3rd line forward. would we be worse keeping the picks and Joki and not trading for Matta? Kahun is on pace for 50pts Joki and Kahun make us a lot better and a lot cheaper and we keep 2nd and 3rd picks and we have nylander and matta. bad trades

Stan is just bad at making trades, he wins one and loses 5. He should stick to small tweaks and drafting well which I believe is all on the head of the scouts and they bring him great info and he practically doesn’t have to do much thinking himself. Whenever he starts thinking he ruins things.

Joker for Nylander - Stupid trade

Shaw trade - It was widely knows he’s injury prone and very stupid trade

DeHaan - Although a great player it was widely known had MAJOR shoulder problems and it was just a matter of time until it happened again - stupid trade

Kahun for Maatta - Needless trade if he kept Joker which is cheaper, younger, huge upside, etc. AND you have another legit offensive weapon

He should just be demoted to be head of scouts and the guy in charge to even make the calls of who they will pick, and hire a new GM, he will accept it, no one else will hire him anyway. If he decides to leave then leave.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Stan is just bad at making trades, he wins one and loses 5. He should stick to small tweaks and drafting well which I believe is all on the head of the scouts and they bring him great info and he practically doesn’t have to do much thinking himself. Whenever he starts thinking he ruins things.

Joker for Nylander - Stupid trade

Shaw trade - It was widely knows he’s injury prone and very stupid trade

DeHaan - Although a great player it was widely known had MAJOR shoulder problems and it was just a matter of time until it happened again - stupid trade

Kahun for Maatta - Needless trade if he kept Joker which is cheaper, younger, huge upside, etc. AND you have another legit offensive weapon

He should just be demoted to be head of scouts and the guy in charge to even make the calls of who they will pick, and hire a new GM, he will accept it, no one else will hire him anyway. If he decides to leave then leave.
Stan has 3 cup rings. He would get another nhl job and he would probably get it pretty quick.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Anyone who thinks Bowman would not get another job has no idea what they are talking about.
Not only that, he would be the most sought after GM on the market. Teams would be lining up to hire him.

From all accounts, his job is safe, and he has the support of McDonough and Rocky for the near future. Anyone hoping Bowman is going to be fired is going to be sorely disappointed.

Bowman probably has another season or two at the helm beyond this one.

That being said, I hated bringing Shaw back at that price and I hate it even more now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brightwing

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Wow, pretty frank by Colliton. Also, I agree this should be a bad mark on Stan.
It was a big gamble by Bowman. If Shaw could remain healthy, he'd add a bit of grit to the roster and help a locker room bond; it'd be a decent move.

But if he got another bad head injury, he'd become a waste of a 2nd and 3rd round pick, not to mention a ton of cap dollars that'd need to be turned into LTIR cap space.

Shaw isn't necessarily done yet; I hope he's able to return and contribute like Caggiula is doing, but there seems to be a real sense of uncertainty about whether he'll actually return or not. And if he doesn't return, or returns only to wind up injured again, it'll be a black mark on Bowman's performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad