Proposal: Shatty ---> Philly

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The OP changed it from Sanheim to Morin. I still wouldn't say yes if the defenseman is Morin/Hagg, and I would laugh at the offer for future top pairing guys like Sanheim or Myers. I think giving up Konecny and a future second-pair defenseman (Morin/Hagg) is too much for Shattenkirk and a middle-6 forward.

Value-wise:

Konecny>Shattenkirk
Morin/Hagg>=Yakupov/Berglund

I honestly think the Flyers would need to get a 1st-round pick for this deal to go through. Still don't know if Philly does it.

The Flyers are simply giving up too much in this deal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The OP changed it from Sanheim to Morin. I still wouldn't say yes if the defenseman is Morin/Hagg, and I would laugh at the offer for future top pairing guys like Sanheim or Myers. I think giving up Konecny and a future second-pair defenseman (Morin/Hagg) is too much for Shattenkirk and a middle-6 forward.

Value-wise:

Konecny>Shattenkirk
Morin/Hagg>=Yakupov/Berglund

I honestly think the Flyers would need to get a 1st-round pick for this deal to go through. Still don't know if Philly does it.

The Flyers are simply giving up too much in this deal.

The flyers need to sit tight, and let their kids develop. We aren't a Kevin shattenkirk away from being competitive, and the reality of the situation is that Sanheim and Konecny will likely have a bigger impact on this organization in two years than Shattenkirk would (we wouldnt even issue an offer to Yak).

Flyers need one thing. Patience. That's it.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Flyers are way too high on Konecny and Sanheim for the OP to work.

But I do think the Flyers should be looking to add Shatty as a rental at the TDL. He's a perfect fit on that team, he'll help for the playoff push, and they'll get the chance to re-sign him before he hits UFA and can entertain offers from some of their rivals in the East.

I'm trying my best to come up with a deal that might work for both teams - how would this fit?

STL gets:
Nick Schultz
Michal Neuvirth
Scott Laughton
PHI 1st rd pick - 2017

PHI gets:
Kevin Shattenkirk
Carter Hutton

Blues get a better veteran goalie (and pending UFA) to help Allen, get that 1st round pick that Shatty should garner, and a good Center prospect that will be RFA and might not fit into Philly's future plans (Flyers fans - how DOES Laughton fit into the future?). Schultz and his expiring $2.25M contract is added to help the cap work. With Hutton gone, the Blues can protect Allen and expose Binnington and Copley to Vegas.

Flyers get Shatty, who takes up one of their expansion draft protection slots (they can protect him, Ghost and Gudas while exposing MacDonald and Manning). They also get a cheaper backup goalie who they can expose in the Expansion Draft so they can protect Stolarz.

Am I close?

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You are annoying the people who threw snowballs at Santa and batteries at JD Drew. This isn't going to end well.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Flyers are way too high on Konecny and Sanheim for the OP to work.

But I do think the Flyers should be looking to add Shatty as a rental at the TDL. He's a perfect fit on that team, he'll help for the playoff push, and they'll get the chance to re-sign him before he hits UFA and can entertain offers from some of their rivals in the East.

I'm trying my best to come up with a deal that might work for both teams - how would this fit?

STL gets:
Nick Schultz
Michal Neuvirth
Scott Laughton
PHI 1st rd pick - 2017

PHI gets:
Kevin Shattenkirk
Carter Hutton

Blues get a better veteran goalie (and pending UFA) to help Allen, get that 1st round pick that Shatty should garner, and a good Center prospect that will be RFA and might not fit into Philly's future plans (Flyers fans - how DOES Laughton fit into the future?). Schultz and his expiring $2.25M contract is added to help the cap work. With Hutton gone, the Blues can protect Allen and expose Binnington and Copley to Vegas.

Flyers get Shatty, who takes up one of their expansion draft protection slots (they can protect him, Ghost and Gudas while exposing MacDonald and Manning). They also get a cheaper backup goalie who they can expose in the Expansion Draft so they can protect Stolarz.

Am I close?

Blues can't do this. First, I don't think you can expose an AHL goalie.

Next no thanks. Laughton isn't worth anything and I think we would have to protect him in the expansion draft.

I do think there is something going with all of the scouting the Blues have done of Philli. But I can't figure it out.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Most Flyers fans don't want to pursue Shatty for free if he becomes a UFA.

We are not trading a 19 year old top 6 player and a top D prospect for him.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
as a Flyers fan i would love to get Shattenkirk as a vet presence moving forward...as a Flyers fan..not at that price lol

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
You are annoying the people who threw snowballs at Santa and batteries at JD Drew. This isn't going to end well.

Can we please knock this trite crap off? Or are we going to say don't say anything to Kings fans because they might beat you to death? It's a lazy media narrative and we should be better than that.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Can we please knock this trite crap off? Or are we going to say don't say anything to Kings fans because they might beat you to death? It's a lazy media narrative and we should be better than that.

Lighten up Francis. It is an amusing anecdote that doesn't mean that every Philly fan acts that way. Be proud that you are known to taunt and jeer the opposition and make it a tough place to play. More cities should show as much emotion as Philly does. It makes for better games and rivalries. :handclap:

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Lighten up Francis. It is an amusing anecdote that doesn't mean that every Philly fan acts that way. Be proud that you are known to taunt and jeer the opposition and make it a tough place to play. More cities should show as much emotion as Philly does. It makes for better games and rivalries. :handclap:

99% of the world does not see it that way!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

No, it really is a trope at this point. It's stupid.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Blues can't do this. First, I don't think you can expose an AHL goalie.

The rule states you have to expose a goalie who is either under contract beyond this season, or an RFA at this season's end. I use the CapFriendly tool for reference, and they show that both Binnington and Copley meet the exposure requirement (and honestly, I think Vegas should take one of them, considering who else the Blues might leave exposed - unless they REALLY want Gunnarsson).

Next no thanks. Laughton isn't worth anything and I think we would have to protect him in the expansion draft.

But would that be a problem? Tarasenko, Stastny, Steen, Schwartz, Jaskin and Perron - who do you protect as the 7th? I assume they'd love to lose Lehtera, and I'm sure Reaves/Brodziak are replaceable - but that's just me.

At the end of the day, I have a feeling the return for Shatty isn't going to be as good as Blues fans might hope. I believe a 1st rd pick will have to be included, but any additional pieces are not going to be the kind that will specifically satisfy fans' needs (ie. potential top-6 C). I think the best bet is to take the 1st, and see if you can find a prospect that needs a change of scenery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad