Proposal: Shattenkirk to WSH for Ilya Samsonov and 2017 1st round pick.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Varlomov was 22 when he was traded
Schneider was 24 when he was traded
Holtby is 28, at the TDL in 2019-2020 he will be 30 years old. Big difference there.

Varlamov was 23 when he was traded. Schneider was 27 when he was traded not 24. Not even close. Holtby isn't 28 until a few weeks before next season starts. So literally every age you wrote is completely wrong. The difference is Holtby is way better then either of those 2 goalies when dealt. Vesa Toskala was 30 years old when he was dealt for #13,#44 in 2007 and a 4th in 2009. 29/30 years of age is literally nothing when it comes to goaltenders. Holtby would have at least 5-6 more years of high end elite play and what I said still stands, if the Caps do decide to move him then he would return a Kings ransom.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Oh Samsonov is a great prospect, it's just that "2 x #1s for a UFA D-man" isn't outlandish at all. It's pretty much the going rate for the best rentals, which Shattenkirk is. That's my point. And again, a guaranteed very late first in a weak draft class this year has less value than the 1st the Hawks gave up last year.

1) Samsanov =/= Dani (value wise)

2) There is a big difference between what 1 team is willing to pay, and what most teams are willing to pay. Caps don't need Shatty, and wouldn't pay that price IMO.

iadoin

Jan 10, 2016
I don't see this trade making sense for either side. The last things the Blues need is another goalie prospect. Husso is one of the top goalie prospects in the league and looking to be (hopefully) the future of the Blues. The Capitals seem to be pretty stout on defense, or at least do not have a natural slot for Shattenkirk to slide into.

I don't see it working for either side.

MDHockey

Nov 23, 2008
Cincinnati
I didn't see "Proposal" in the title at first and thought this legitimately happened for a second... mini heart attack lol

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would the Caps trade for Shattenkirk as insurance against injury to Carlson or Niskanen for power play duty? I am sure they would. I also sure that there are other teams that NEED a player like Shattenkirk as a primary player, not a backup, and would pay more.

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
at least when i made this thread i got the discussion i was looking for.

general consensus is both teams don't do it. the value is decent depending whom you ask, but st louis is apparently in an embarresment of riches for goalie prospects. washington fans dont seem to think they need more skill and better players on defense.

washington has been in the hunt for a good playoffs for a while now and never makes a significant deal. thats why I proposed it. as a washington fan its really annoying to see them not do anything. they are in a win now mode which is why I would trade prospects and picks for immediate return value.

If the caps don't need an upgrade for Schmidt at RD (which shattenkirk would provide) then they need an upgrade somewhere in the forwards. a difference maker like duchene to slot in on 2nd or 3rd line. and I would be willing to move future assets for something to make it happen.

People say samsonov needs to replace holtby in 4 years. I don't see that to be true. Good goalies can play until late 30's and holtby shows no signs of not being a worthy competitor and goalie in the future. caps are set wit holtby as their netminder for a long time.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Would the Caps trade for Shattenkirk as insurance against injury to Carlson or Niskanen for power play duty? I am sure they would. I also sure that there are other teams that NEED a player like Shattenkirk as a primary player, not a backup, and would pay more.

Shattenkirk would be the #1 defensemen on the PP, especially if he gets 3rd pairing ice time. But still I agree we don't need him as much as other teams.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I would be open to trading Shattenkirk for Mitch Korn + 1st...

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
And he would get 3rd pairing ice time based on last year's playoffs.

Career RS: 49 pts/82 with 48% of them on the PP
Career PO: 49 pts/82 with 39% of them on the PP

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but if it is that he wilts in the playoffs you really should have done more homework.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
hard to see him getting more even strength TOI than Carlson or Niskanen (who are the other RD).

I was just making a stupid argument to the Boston fan that has used that same argument in every Shattenkirk thread, which is that since he had a poor playoffs last season relative to his standard, then he will always perform at that level or is somehow worth a lot less, ignoring the fact that he's always been one of our top playoff performers.

Shattenkirk would definitely play the same role in Washington that he does in St. Louis, no argument here.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I was just making a stupid argument to the Boston fan that has used that same argument in every Shattenkirk thread, which is that since he had a poor playoffs last season relative to his standard, then he will always perform at that level or is somehow worth a lot less, ignoring the fact that he's always been one of our top playoff performers.

Shattenkirk would definitely play the same role in Washington that he does in St. Louis, no argument here.

I see.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Shattenkirk would be a big addition to washington's power play, but St.Louis doesn't need another goaltending prospect, and a 1st alone wouldn't be enough for Armstrong to pull the trigger to trade away Shatty.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Nope, seriously doubt the Caps add another defenseman. They have the #1 unit in the league and just added Gilbert.

Samsonov/1st would make a better Landeskog package, if the Avs want another one of our Russian tenders.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Nope, seriously doubt the Caps add another defenseman. They have the #1 unit in the league and just added Gilbert.

Samsonov/1st would make a better Landeskog package, if the Avs want another one of our Russian tenders.
You would need a big add to land Landy

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Samsonov is potentially elite goalie, no way I would trade him for pending UFA, especially with 1st round pick. Blues are gonna loose Shatty anyway, so I would give Orlov for him, think it's pretty fair.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Forget the 1st round pick. That's not happening. Shattenkirk for Samsonov is a different story.

Shattenkirk would definitely help the Caps in the play-off run. He's solid. If I am the Caps, I rent him. Samsonov is one of the best goalteending prospects in the world, if not the best. But goaltending prospects do not always translate to the NHL. Ovi is getting older. You can see his game changing. The window for Washington is getting smaller. Shattenkirk would make the difference right now, and Samsonov is good 3 years away. In a vacuum, Washington would laugh at the proposal. In reality, they would probably jump on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad