Proposal: Shattenkirk to WSH for Ilya Samsonov and 2017 1st round pick.

animositynow

Mar 4, 2012
Proposal:

To WSH: Kevin Shattenkirk

to STL: Ilya Samsonov (G prospect) and 2017 1st Round pick.

just wondering what fans of both teams thoughts are on this deal? I feel like washington could add another right handed Defenseman and even as a rental I think they should go for it. They have to make a push for the cup.

St.Louis fans I don't know if this is realistic for you guys but if not let me know what would be reasonable for shattenkirk who is a UFA at seasons end.

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
Its a fair offer.
If im Washington i'd do this (Adding a #2-3 offensive Dman would make them the clear favorite in the East)
If i'm St.Louis i'd do this (Samsonov could become their #1 goalie in 2-3 years) He is really really good

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If I'm Washington I don't do this. They have little chance of being able to keep Shattenkirk long term without losing a few impact players from the current roster. Samsonov has increased his value since being drafted and is a worthy successor to Holtby. If I'm the Caps I keep Samsonov and either groom him to replace Holtby in 2020, trade Holtby in 2019 for an insane package (Schneider got the 9th pick in an elite draft and Varlamov brought back #11 and 54 in 2012, Holtby would bring back so much more it isn't funny) or they decide to extend Holtby and they move Samsonov for a 1st+ as a backup waiting to become a full time starter like the Toskala and Andersson trades.

I am envious of the Caps. They got a top 3 goalie and one of the best goalie prospects in the league. They are set in net for the next 12-15 years potentially. They should be keeping their 1sts as players they can continually sprinkle in their lineups on ELCs to keep the train moving. Value wise it is more then fair but overall it's a trade I refuse if I'm the Caps.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
For a pending UFA they can't afford to resign and would play on the third pairing behind Carlson and Niskanen? I'd walk away laughing if I'm Washington.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If I'm Washington I don't do this. They have little chance of being able to keep Shattenkirk long term without losing a few impact players from the current roster. Samsonov has increased his value since being drafted and is a worthy successor to Holtby. If I'm the Caps I keep Samsonov and either groom him to replace Holtby in 2020, trade Holtby in 2019 for an insane package (Schneider got the 9th pick in an elite draft and Varlamov brought back #11 and 54 in 2012, Holtby would bring back so much more it isn't funny) or they decide to extend Holtby and they move Samsonov for a 1st+ as a backup waiting to become a full time starter like the Toskala and Andersson trades.

I am envious of the Caps. They got a top 3 goalie and one of the best goalie prospects in the league. They are set in net for the next 12-15 years potentially. They should be keeping their 1sts as players they can continually sprinkle in their lineups on ELCs to keep the train moving. Value wise it is more then fair but overall it's a trade I refuse if I'm the Caps.

That's a good summary.

Don't see the Caps trading the few good assets they have for rentals. If they had a specific hole that really needed to be patched, maybe it's a different story, but at this point a guy like Shattenkirk would be a real luxury item for them.

Apr 6, 2004
That's a good summary.

Don't see the Caps trading the few good assets they have for rentals. If they had a specific hole that really needed to be patched, maybe it's a different story, but at this point a guy like Shattenkirk would be a real luxury item for them.

While I'm not a fan of his in general, I'm not sure the Caps would trade a 1st for him let alone adding Samsonov.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
Sorry...Shattenkirk is getting traded for futures as long as the Blues are in the playoff picture.

Just won't happen. The likelihood that he gets dealt at all is very low.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
As a Stars fan, if there was any way Caps would trade Samsonov for anything, I think I would make an offer, if I was Nill.

Only problem is, I haven't heard any chatter about him being available, other than this proposal, and probably for obvious reasons. I am sure the return would have to be high.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Blues are good right now on goalies for the near future. We can't afford to have Allen as a backup for 4 more years at $16M, and we have Husso, Copely (remember him), and a few others waiting in the wings. Allen's play has improved as of late and as long as he is just an average goalie, with the Blues' defense, we are fine.

Centers, RW and LHD are the Blues needs. We don't need goalies, RHD, and LW.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Seems like a rare fair proposal. Interesting. Not sure Washington overly needs a Kevin Shattenkirk though, and that's a mint cost.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Caps won't do the trade because of salary and Samsonov is set to be the stud following Holtby in 4 years. Alot of Caps fans questioned the pick when they made it but I think you would be hard pressed to find one now that isn't high on the guy.

Bowey, Orpik, and 1st would do it for me but probably not the Blues

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
As a Stars fan, if there was any way Caps would trade Samsonov for anything, I think I would make an offer, if I was Nill.

Only problem is, I haven't heard any chatter about him being available, other than this proposal, and probably for obvious reasons. I am sure the return would have to be high.

Yeah, Samsonov is a guy that doesn't make much sense for the Caps to trade because logically, you'd move a guy like that (in a package) for a significant piece -- but for now, the Caps don't have any clear significant needs.

If I were the Stars, I would inquire about Grubauer. He is looking fantastic, and I think is really on track to be an awesome goalie. Plus, Caps have a big risk of losing him for nothing to Vegas. It would be nice for the Caps to get some sort of a (late) 1st for him, which I think he's definitely worth, but if you could get him for a 2nd, I think that's a hell of a steal.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Not a Cap's fan and normally I'd agree with this strategy, but they might as well go all in. If this team doesn't make the Finals, it's time to start questioning whether they ever will. They are in a fine position moving forward without Samsonov and a late 1st and Shattenkirk would be a great addition.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If I had a nickel

Just look at the Caps drafting record when it comes to goalies. That alone should tell you Samsonov will be a stud. Holtby, Varlamov, Neuvirth and now Grubauer (who will be a good starter in the league next year). Before that they had vezina winners in Kolzig and Carey and another starter in Dafoe.

No WAY the Caps do this for a piece they absolutely don't need. Shattenkirk would not be playing on the PP as we have 2 guys who would be ahead of him. He'd displace a young play driver in Nate Schmidt who plays his role well.

There are many other teams in the league who'd be a good fit and the Caps are not one of them at least not at that price.

Samsonov was named best goalie at the WJCs not too long ago. In 26 games in the KHL he has a .933 sv pctg up from his 19 games .925 last year. He is 19 years old against men...

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I like Samsonov and do think he'll be an NHL goalie. If you would have asked me this before Hitch got fired I probably would say yes, but now being back in the playoff picture I think we'll see an NHL trade with Shatty.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
#31 overall pick and a goalie prospect, both of which are not high up in the Blues needs, as well as goalie prospects not having a lot of value in the first place. I respectfully pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad