Value of: Shattenkirk to the NYR

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Why?

No offense to Kreider but he certainly is worth less than Shattenkirk in a 1-for-1 IMO

Just curious, could be as simple as you dont agree with that assessment .

Shatty is a UFA next summer. NYR isnt giving up young player signed longterm for him if we have to give shatty alot of money next summer. Much better to give up something for Trouba instead who is younger and has a higher ceiling.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A middle of the road D prospect and a second liner, for a 22 year old, with three seasons in the NHL, who projects as a #1? Yeah that's an abysmal trade, what was I thinking?

If you ask other fans in this thread, the names coming up are Zuccarello and McDonagh. Only Rangers wouldn't do Miller + Skjei for Trouba yesterday.

Zucc and McD for Trouba would be robbery. McD for Trouba if he werent holding out would be a palatable hockey trade given their ages. McD scores quite a bit more and is superior defensively IMO. Given that Trouba is holding out of WPG, McD+ for his is insanity. The whole point of getting him would be to add to McD.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Teams are unlikely to make such a lateral move unless it's for the same reason that that is the Jets' asking price: they want the same age and talent coming back on the opposite side of the blueline. Good luck finding a trading partner to match/mirror that criteria without creating a another hole.

I totally agree with you, That why more then likely Cheveldayoff will have to come down from his asking price for Trouba because what he's asking from these GMs is a lateral move for them at best and it just wont happen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Trouba isn't comparable to McDonagh. Trouba isn't nearly as good defensively, nor is he as experienced. McDonagh is on one of the best contracts in the entire league and is a better defenseman at this point.

Winnipeg would have to add a lot to get McDonagh, things they would not want to add.

Yup i thinks that's why the Rangers wont make good trading partners here for Trouba, Because Cheveldayoff will want a comparable top LHD for Trouba and i don't see Gorton giving up any thing of value doubt that Skjei cuts it for Cheveldayoff.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Zucc and McD for Trouba would be robbery. McD for Trouba if he werent holding out would be a palatable hockey trade given their ages. McD scores quite a bit more and is superior defensively IMO. Given that Trouba is holding out of WPG, McD+ for his is insanity. The whole point of getting him would be to add to McD.

He meant the names. He didn't mean together.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He meant the names. He didn't mean together.

Oh thank god. Wasn't real clear.

I don't think the names are even comparable. Zucc is a great player but he's a luxury in a spot we have depth now. McD is a great player in a mold that we desperately need to add to and is in no way a luxury IMO.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I think Shatty for Stepan. Maybe a bit added by St. Louis but around that is probably what I'd consider.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I think Shatty for Stepan. Maybe a bit added by St. Louis but around that is probably what I'd consider.

No... Shatty is a ufa next summer. Dont get a #1B center in his prime locked up longterm for a ufa defensemen Who will be overpaid in his next contract and tbh is a little overrated aswell

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
No... Shatty is a ufa next summer. Dont get a #1B center in his prime locked up longterm for a ufa defensemen Who will be overpaid in his next contract and tbh is a little overrated aswell

Well he's probably not going to free agency, he'll be a deadline deal at worst. I don't think it's an exact one for one trade, either. I think add a first and maybe a prospect. Rangers get a hometown hero and a first round draft pick. Blues get their 1C. I really only think this deal will be made by the Blues for a top line center.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Well he's probably not going to free agency, he'll be a deadline deal at worst. I don't think it's an exact one for one trade, either. I think add a first and maybe a prospect. Rangers get a hometown hero and a first round draft pick. Blues get their 1C. I really only think this deal will be made by the Blues for a top line center.

I dont see it from a NYR point of view. If they trade Stepan they have extremely bad center depth.
Zib-hayes-Lindberg? Dont have any young good center prospects either. Makes no sense, specially since Shatty is older than Stepan aswell and will be overpaid as hell because he is a UFA. He is good but not that good.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oh thank god. Wasn't real clear.

I don't think the names are even comparable. Zucc is a great player but he's a luxury in a spot we have depth now. McD is a great player in a mold that we desperately need to add to and is in no way a luxury IMO.

I wouldn't trade EITHER McDonagh nor Zucc for Trouba. What I'm saying is, if those are the names coming up, then Miller + Skjei is a steal.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
I dont see it from a NYR point of view. If they trade Stepan they have extremely bad center depth.
Zib-hayes-Lindberg? Dont have any young good center prospects either. Makes no sense, specially since Shatty is older than Stepan aswell and will be overpaid as hell because he is a UFA. He is good but not that good.

Well I imagine he'd take a discount for the Rangers. So I understand that there'd be more that'd have to come from St. Louis, what about a first rounder and/or a defensive prospect?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think if the Rangers wait until next summer to sign Shattenkirk and not give up anything for him.

Yeah but it has been reported some Rangers insiders more than once, they don't want to give Shattenkirk the contract he wants. So either he comes down on his contract demands or we likely don't sign him.

We certainly won't be trading our #1 C for a pending UFA. I doubt Stepan would be on the table even if Shattenkirk was locked up to a reasonable contract. Not to mention, with us being one of 3-4 teams in the mix for Trouba, a deal for Shattenkirk is even less likely.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Well I imagine he'd take a discount for the Rangers. So I understand that there'd be more that'd have to come from St. Louis, what about a first rounder and/or a defensive prospect?

What would be considered a discount? 7yrs 42 mill?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
hmmm

What would be considered a discount? 7yrs 42 mill?

I can see shatty signing a 6 yr 6mill deal with NYR. or even 7y 5.5 if the rumors are really true and he wants to play near home that badly. he is from New rochelle NY. most likely has tons of friends and family there. Idol was brian leetch etc etc etc. NYR is also more unique then most because dolan owns cablevision among tons of other things and money is no option, they could presumably tell shatty and his agent sign for a little less money and come home and we could make sure you get 25 million in your first 2 years of the deal and put that money to work for you investing, real estate, business etc. Not many teams could offer a deal like that and many NYR players have other successful businesses in new york that not many people know about. Because they get a lot of money very quickly.. Richards for example of contract.. Avery (former) /lundqvist as examples of successful businesses

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad