Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, three after this season. At 3.5 if San Jose eats 50%.
Even if it doesn't work out, the cap-risk is manageable and more so if we have to pay very little to get him, which seems to be the expectation. Conversely, if it does work out, it's a home run.

The risk-reward looks appealing to me for a team that is slowly exiting its window yet doesn't necessarily need much to have a real shot for a couple of years more.

True. But 3.5 mil for 3 more years is lot if you have to buy him out and add his buyout hit to JJ's. Which considering his rap sheet would be the most likely scenario.

Then there's the fact that Kane typically makes teams worse, burns out teammates, and was pretty much a non factor in the Sharks run.

I think a lot more could go wrong than right. With a guy like Kane, if you're going to acquire him at all, you wait until he's bought out then throw a cheap one year at him so you have an exit strategy. DeAngelo style.

Reactions: Giskard

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Awfully quiet on this. I’m guessing there are zero teams interested but could change as teams get desperate.
Maybe they are working on deals with retention and taking a cap dump back or ?? Something with more moving pieces than an easy one for one swap. Might need more than one team involved to get maximum retention ?

A double retention is never going to happen. If Kane can’t be traded with 50% retention the increased delta cost to move from 50% to 75% is going to be more then the offers for Kane at 50%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad