Rumor: Sharks talking with Couture on extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I don't see either one as more or less of an assumption, mine is just specific and I laid out my logic, you did not. If all he wanted to do was re-organize the front office... well let's just say that seems kind of an underwhelming privilege to spend 10's or 100's of millions of dollars on... but I guess it's possible, I just see it as pretty unlikely. A jump as you might say.

Point is, what you see as a huge assumption I see as a logical deduction based on available evidence.

He bought the team, he did so in an aggressive manner (it seems as if several of the owners were not looking to sell... though we don't know how it all unfolded). He made statements that he does not see the team ever making money. Those things to me, plus basic human psychology, equal he has plans for the team that involve significant changes that he could not make while the team had multiple owners.

no, my assumption was meant to parody yours. basically illustrating that your logic can be used both ways. which makes it an assumption. your logical deduction is nothing more than taking disparate facts and fitting them into a narrative that "sounds" logical...but really isnt.

im not saying youre wrong, but its a huge jump.

buys team in aggressive manner (whatever that means...again if you were a fly on the wall in negotiations this might hold water)

says he doesnt see the team making money (okay great, so it wasnt purely a business decision...but we know nothing else) so i can ride this one a little bit

basic human psychology? are you serious? the basics would be to buy out a business to capitalize on an emerging market...or possibly on some grander scheme in his overall business. however, you take that basics and say its because he is passionate enough about the sharks to take over their business and make hockey changes to turn it into a stanley cup winning team.

which of those sounds less likely?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
no, my assumption was meant to parody yours. basically illustrating that your logic can be used both ways. which makes it an assumption. your logical deduction is nothing more than taking disparate facts and fitting them into a narrative that "sounds" logical...but really isnt.

im not saying youre wrong, but its a huge jump.

buys team in aggressive manner (whatever that means...again if you were a fly on the wall in negotiations this might hold water)

In a very short time span 3 majority owners were bought out, one turned around and immediately tried to buy a new team and the other two made no statements about wanting to sell and had in fact just recently attended a press event (something Sharks owners rarely do) and made statements about the state of the team going forward and their plans. Then quickly sold their shares to Hasso a short time later. Why? We will never know, but to me that looks like an aggressive buyout situation. I could certainly be wrong, it's certainly not conclusive, but I see pretty strong indicators Hasso pushed the other owners out.

says he doesnt see the team making money (okay great, so it wasnt purely a business decision...but we know nothing else) so i can ride this one a little bit

Well, that doesn't mean it wasn't a business decision, just not a profit center. It means his issues with the teams operation are likely not about profit/loss, more likely he disagress with some business directive the team was operating under and wants to change it. Maybe he simply felt they were too conservative, maybe he wanted a bigger tax shelter, we don't know, we only know he went from a minority owner to the majority owner in a very short time frame for some reason.

basic human psychology? are you serious? the basics would be to buy out a business to capitalize on an emerging market...or possibly on some grander scheme in his overall business. however, you take that basics and say its because he is passionate enough about the sharks to take over their business and make hockey changes to turn it into a stanley cup winning team.

None of that is psychology. By psychology I mean that people like him do not spend huge sums of money and large amounts of their time and effort buying out a hockey team just to say they own a hockey team. It could happen, but i'd say it's unlikely. I am simply making an assumption about what that is. My 'leap' is that I assume he bought the team because he disagreed fundamentally about how the team was run and decided that it mattered enough to him to go through with a lengthy and costly buy out in order to institute the changes he wants to see. I don't see the front office changes as significant enough to warrant than level of investment. Is he going to micro-manage the day-to-day operation of the team? Probably not, other owners have, but I don't think so. Does he plan to give Doug Wilson a framework with which to operate and then leave him to see it done? I think that's the most likely thing. What changes he wants instituted only time will tell, and I am just speculating, but I don't see the idea that he doesn't like how the team was being run as a motivating factor as much of a leap. If you agree that it's a possibility, then it's not much more of a leap to assume things like pay-structure are one of the things he wants changed, since he's the one now footing the bill. I certainly would have something to say on the topic if I were in his shoes.

which of those sounds less likely?

Both of them are unlikely. He wouldn't buy out the team if it hurt his business (doesn't mean it helps either, but it may), he also wouldn't invest that kind of money in a team he clearly doesn't see as a profit center if he wasn't passionate about it. There are much more lucrative emerging markets to invest money in, Hockey is a bad investment, he's basically said so himself. So basically, both are likely a part in the decision to some degree.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Hasso bought the Sharks in order to have a legitimate front for his illegal smuggling operations for chinese jersey knock offs. :sarcasm:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hasso bought the Sharks in order to have a legitimate front for his illegal smuggling operations for chinese jersey knock offs. :sarcasm:

The original speculation was that he took more control of the team to become a bigger player in the NHL BoG. However, the core of purchasing the team for him seems to be to win the Cup more than anything else. He's been a little more open about his priorities than most, at least in my eyes, to take it for more than just lip service. I also happen to believe Orr's source within the organization about what he's been doing since he bought the team attempting to learn more about the hockey ops. That would be in line with what he's always done with his businesses and his hobbies. Changing around the business side of it doesn't take much effort from him as he's had plenty of business experience. Learning hockey ops to the point that he can confidently make a sound decision is a different animal.

How long it takes for him to gain a firm enough grasp to make a decision impacting hockey ops is something only time will tell. But it will happen eventually and even if people think it's an assumption, it's probably the safe one. People like him with his background don't buy assets like a sports franchise to keep the status quo.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Hey - your speculation is as valid as everyone else's and this at least makes sense to me!

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The original speculation was that he took more control of the team to become a bigger player in the NHL BoG. However, the core of purchasing the team for him seems to be to win the Cup more than anything else. He's been a little more open about his priorities than most, at least in my eyes, to take it for more than just lip service. I also happen to believe Orr's source within the organization about what he's been doing since he bought the team attempting to learn more about the hockey ops. That would be in line with what he's always done with his businesses and his hobbies. Changing around the business side of it doesn't take much effort from him as he's had plenty of business experience. Learning hockey ops to the point that he can confidently make a sound decision is a different animal.

How long it takes for him to gain a firm enough grasp to make a decision impacting hockey ops is something only time will tell. But it will happen eventually and even if people think it's an assumption, it's probably the safe one. People like him with his background don't buy assets like a sports franchise to keep the status quo.

That's basically what I am getting at more succinctly. The assumption I am actually making is that Hasso has enough different of an opinion about how the team was run to how he will run it that it was worth his buying out the other owners to make it happen. To me, that has to be a pretty big difference to have been worth it. The rest is just speculation. My guess is that we can expect a change in pattern from the Sharks immediately in administrative staff/operations (already seen some of this) and budgetary issues (player payroll, advertising, concessions, etc). As far as getting involved in hockey decisions, I doubt we'll see that for at least a season or two if ever. However, player contracts are one of those areas that is not exactly a hockey decision. If Couture says he wants an 8 year deal and Wilson presents that to Platner to approve (as I'm sure any large deal has to be approved) my bet is Platner would say yes where the old ownership would say no. That's all I was getting at.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
That's basically what I am getting at more succinctly. The assumption I am actually making is that Hasso has enough different of an opinion about how the team was run to how he will run it that it was worth his buying out the other owners to make it happen. To me, that has to be a pretty big difference to have been worth it. The rest is just speculation. My guess is that we can expect a change in pattern from the Sharks immediately in administrative staff/operations (already seen some of this) and budgetary issues (player payroll, advertising, concessions, etc). As far as getting involved in hockey decisions, I doubt we'll see that for at least a season or two if ever. However, player contracts are one of those areas that is not exactly a hockey decision. If Couture says he wants an 8 year deal and Wilson presents that to Platner to approve (as I'm sure any large deal has to be approved) my bet is Platner would say yes where the old ownership would say no. That's all I was getting at.

I should remind readers that once the cap was instituted, and once the Sharks showed that they were "for real", the owners never had an issue spending money. After 2008, I think they spent quite close to the cap.

They might have had an issue with committing money for a long time, but that might have been DW wanting flexibility.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I should remind readers that once the cap was instituted, and once the Sharks showed that they were "for real", the owners never had an issue spending money. After 2008, I think they spent quite close to the cap.

They might have had an issue with committing money for a long time, but that might have been DW wanting flexibility.

Sharks showed they were "for real"/a player on November 30, 2005. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad