Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Filip Zadina to 1 year contract 1.1MAAV

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The difference between the sharks and that Vegas team is that Vegas team had 6 second pairing defensemen and 4 2/3 lines.

The sharks without EK don’t have a single second pairing defenseman.
Yeah, that comparison doesn't make sense

It's like when people thought we would get better after the Burns trade because we had more solidified roles on the roster and that would offset the massive loss of pue talent

Guess what happened? Karlsson had the most productive season by a defenseman in a generation and we dropped by 17 points in the standings

We already lost 35 goals from Timo Meier, we're not going to be better next year

As long as we do the right thing and trade Karlsson we are absolutely in contention to finish dead last next season, the only way we even pull up to bottom 10 level is if we get Vezina level goaltending, which just isn't going to happen with this tandem

Brace yourselves folks, it's gonna be a long and painful season

The 2024 Sharks are probably going to be the worst team the franchise has seen since 1992

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

It's like when people thought we would get better after the Burns trade because we had more solidified roles on the roster and that would offset the massive loss of pue talent

Guess what happened? Karlsson had the most productive season by a defenseman in a generation and we dropped by 17 points in the standings

We already lost 35 goals from Timo Meier, we're not going to be better next year

As long as we do the right thing and trade Karlsson we are absolutely in contention to finish dead last next season, the only way we even pull up to bottom 10 level is if we get Vezina level goaltending, which just isn't going to happen with this tandem

The 2024 Sharks are probably going to be the worst team the franchise has seen since 1992

Honestly, I’m fine with it as long as guys like Guschin, Bordeleau and Mukh get chances in the NHL. I’m basically watching next season for Eklund (and a little for Duclair, Zadina and to see if we have anything in Petersen). Last year, the team felt stale and boring - other than Karlsson, I just found them kinda whatever. This year, I’m hoping we get to uncover some gems and start finding and solidifying a few guys for our rebuild. To me, this is the true Year 1 of the new Sharks team. It’ll suck, but maybe it’ll be a little fresher.

Jul 10, 2010

while we lose 35 from meier, its completely unrealistic to assume his replacement scores 0. Just putting a random skater into that ice time and chances means they score 10-12. So we lose closer to 20.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
while we lose 35 from meier, its completely unrealistic to assume his replacement scores 0. Just putting a random skater into that ice time and chances means they score 10-12. So we lose closer to 20.

No, it's not likely that any random player being inserted into top minutes will score 10+ goals, we saw this year over year when plugs like Benn Ferriero and Brad Winchester would get extended playing time next to Joe Thornton

Players have to actually have the talent to score in those situations to accumulate totals, especially when they are playing with subpar talent

Duclair has a 30 goal season under his belt, but for his career he averages 20 goals per 82 games played

The much bigger difference between Meier and Duclair is their ability to drive play, where Meier can be the lead play driver on his line and contribute positive results while Duclair is more of a passenger who is effective at producing while next to an actual play driver

Because of this I have a hard time seeing Duclair approach his career highs on our team, he's not likely to put up 25+ goals playing next to Couture or this declining version of Hertl

Zadina is a total question mark, maybe he breaks out and finally shows the promise of his draft pedigree, maybe he scores 3 goals all year, it's hard to say

Both of these guys also have poor defensive metrics, so we'll lose aggregate goals for and gain aggregate goals against by swapping them for Meier

They didn't balance out our roster, they made our roster worse

Reactions: landshark

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
No, it's not likely that any random player being inserted into top minutes will score 10+ goals, we saw this year over year when plugs like Benn Ferriero and Brad Winchester would get extended playing time next to Joe Thornton

Players have to actually have the talent to score in those situations to accumulate totals, especially when they are playing with subpar talent

Duclair has a 30 goal season under his belt, but for his career he averages 20 goals per 82 games played

The much bigger difference between Meier and Duclair is their ability to drive play, where Meier can be the lead play driver on his line and contribute positive results while Duclair is more of a passenger who is effective at producing while next to an actual play driver

Because of this I have a hard time seeing Duclair approach his career highs on our team, he's not likely to put up 25+ goals playing next to Couture or this declining version of Hertl

Zadina is a total question mark, maybe he breaks out and finally shows the promise of his draft pedigree, maybe he scores 3 goals all year, it's hard to say

Both of these guys also have poor defensive metrics, so we'll lose aggregate goals for and gain aggregate goals against by swapping them for Meier

They didn't balance out our roster, they made our roster worse
My guess is Zadina is going to look more like a replacement for Svechnikov. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

Reactions: Gecklund

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
My guess is Zadina is going to look more like a replacement for Svechnikov. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my gut feeling.
They both produced .23 p/g last year and Svech did so in 10 minutes a game for SJS while Zadina played 13 minutes a game on a much better Detroit team, so that's probably a pretty reasonable expectation

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
They both produced .23 p/g last year and Svech did so in 10 minutes a game for SJS while Zadina played 13 minutes a game on a much better Detroit team, so that's probably a pretty reasonable expectation

To be a little fair to Zadina, he’s been dealing with a ton of injuries that have prevented him from having productive summers, etc. I think that has a huge effect on players, particular young ones. But we saw what a full summer did for Karlsson.

Zadina is, in theory, much much much more talented than Svech.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I don't see how they surprise or do better when they lost Meier, may lose Karlsson, and aren't replacing them with anything remotely similar to what those players were. The only thing that has a chance to shift in their favor is their goaltending luck. They had awful goaltending last year and even though the actual goalies still do suck, there tends to be variance in goaltending performance from one year to the next.

For all their individual points Meier and Karlsson didn't make much difference when it came to winning games. And in Meier's case his presence didn't make New Jersey a much better tram (though that may change with a full training camp).

Think playing in San Jose away from all the negativity he received from Devils' "fans" will do wonders to revive Blackwood's career (particularly if he is healthy) and the mix of veterans and young players for the Sharks will only grow as the season progresses.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
For all their individual points Meier and Karlsson didn't make much difference when it came to winning games. And in Meier's case his presence didn't make New Jersey a much better tram (though that may change with a full training camp).

Think playing in San Jose away from all the negativity he received from Devils' "fans" will do wonders to revive Blackwood's career (particularly if he is healthy) and the mix of veterans and young players for the Sharks will only grow as the season progresses.
Karlsson 100% affected the Sharks position in the standings. He dragged us into a few OT games, and almost all of the games we won in OT were scored or assisted by him. Considering we finished 2 points out of last, he drastically impacted our lottery odds.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Karlsson 100% affected the Sharks position in the standings. He dragged us into a few OT games, and almost all of the games we won in OT were scored or assisted by him. Considering we finished 2 points out of last, he drastically impacted our lottery odds.
And we finished with the least amount of wins also.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Of course they made a difference in winning games. They were the two leading scorers on a bad team. That’s a silly assertion. Bad teams can still get worse if they have no real way to replace their scoring and still have bad goaltending.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany

You literally could not be more wrong at least when it comes to EK65 last season.

I assume you did not watch more than 5 Sharks games all year?

For us who did: he single handedly cost us a last place finish. Without him it wouldn’t even have been close. If the Sharks had made the playoffs, he would have won the Hart by a country-mile (at least by its definition).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Even McDavid is only worth something like 4 wins above replacement per season. Subtracting Meier and Karlsson will probably make us 10-12 points worse but a slight improvement in goaltending and better OT/SO luck will make up for most if not all of that drop. That still puts us around where we were last season which should be near the bottom of the league.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Even McDavid is only worth something like 4 wins above replacement per season. Subtracting Meier and Karlsson will probably make us 10-12 points worse but a slight improvement in goaltending and better OT/SO luck will make up for most if not all of that drop. That still puts us around where we were last season which should be near the bottom of the league.
I don't see the Sharks getting an improvement in goaltending considering they replaced Reimer with someone far worse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad