Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2010
I would love to see a Dillion/Heed pairing. On paper atleast, there is a lot of synergy there. Dillion can play the stable stay-at-home role which he is suited to, while Heed's speed will allow him to recover if he gets caught low.

Personally I'd rather see Schlemko/Demelo- Heed.

I'm not big on Dillon

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Exactly, injuries WILL happen

That's a much better argument in favor of adding depth than depleting it, once someone inevitably goes down they will need a replacement

But you aren't replacing them.. your simply triaging minutes. You can play an experienced D with a lacking partner on the 3rd pair. But you can't play two noobies together. So past the first replacement, you start seeing diminished returns.

At some point your gonna run 5 and 13. You don't want to jeopardize your "top" units by diminishing quality and spreading too thin.

So 8 defenseman, is functionally the same as 9, 10, 11...

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Personally I'd rather see Schlemko/Demelo- Heed.

I'm not big on Dillon

I would be conserned about their ability to battle in the corners and clear the crease. Heed is tiny and Schlemko isn't exactly physical.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Im willing to entertain trading dillon but someone will have to sell me on henrique. I dont see how he makes the team better versus having a strong third pairing.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That's not how TML is gonna sell him to all the teams desperate for defense.

Fair enough...hopefully a team like LA bites lol

Im willing to entertain trading dillon but someone will have to sell me on henrique. I dont see how he makes the team better versus having a strong third pairing.

Henrique gives them a 3C better than Tierney (hopefully) allowing Hertl to stay on the top line and give the Joes a boost?

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
At some point your gonna run 5 and 13. You don't want to jeopardize your "top" units by diminishing quality and spreading too thin.

So 8 defenseman, is functionally the same as 9, 10, 11...

And unless you have a 2015 Duncan Keith on your blue line all those extra minutes are gonna break you down deep in the playoffs, and then your top players aren't going to be as useful as they were when they were fresh

Even the best players are still human, they need to breathe, they need to rest, and they need someone to take some of their minutes so they can play to the best of their ability

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Fair enough...hopefully a team like LA bites lol

Henrique gives them a 3C better than Tierney (hopefully) allowing Hertl to stay on the top line and give the Joes a boost?

Versus hertl creating a pseudo 2nd line. Tierney creating a strong 4th line and having a third pairing thay can play top 4 minutes.

Just seems like a known versus unknown

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Versus hertl creating a pseudo 2nd line. Tierney creating a strong 4th line and having a third pairing thay can play top 4 minutes.

The unknown that concerns me the most right now is whether Joe Thornton will get his as in gear before the playoffs. The single most important thing is getting that top line playing dominant hockey again. Hertl is probably our best option to do it.

We have a month until the trade deadline to get this issue figured out.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Like I keep saying,

Thornton-Hertl-Pavelski

and then makes everybody else happy

Marleau-Couture-Boedker/Donskoi
Ward-Carpenter-Donskoi/Boedker
Meier-Tierney-Karlsson

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
The unknown that concerns me the most right now is whether Joe Thornton will get his as in gear before the playoffs. The single most important thing is getting that top line playing dominant hockey again. Hertl is probably our best option to do it.

We have a month until the trade deadline to get tamest issue figured out.

I agree with this. The first and second lines have to produce in the playoffs or we are not going far. Thankfully, Couture's line seems to be working well with Marleau and Boedker. We have to hope that continues and that we find something that will get the top line working again. Depth (both forward and D) is important and we'll need it in later rounds but, unless we have the top line going, I don't think we'll make it that far.

And, of course, there's the question of whether this is the Sharks' last good chance for a while if Jumbo doesn't turn it around. If this is Jumbo's last hurrah, do we go all in and say "I don't care about the future bc this is probably our best chance for a while" even if he's only playing OK, knowing that there's a good chance he'll be worse next season? Or do we say "F it, unless Jumbo's on, there's no point spending good assets to go all in bc we aren't likely to get far anyway?"

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

We have a month until the trade deadline to get this issue figured out.

Hertl is a great player but he cant make jumbo play like a ppg center again.

Jul 10, 2010

Leblanc/Meier-Hertl-Donskoi

Vs

Leblanc/Meier-xxx-Donskoi

It's easier to fill xxx that it is to fill xxx on Thornton wing, + if xxx on Thorntons wing doesn't work out we likely move Hertl up anyway

Therefore I'd rather try and just fix that hole at 3C

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I agree with this. The first and second lines have to produce in the playoffs or we are not going far. Thankfully, Couture's line seems to be working well with Marleau and Boedker. We have to hope that continues and that we find something that will get the top line working again. Depth (both forward and D) is important and we'll need it in later rounds but, unless we have the top line going, I don't think we'll make it that far.

And, of course, there's the question of whether this is the Sharks' last good chance for a while if Jumbo doesn't turn it around. If this is Jumbo's last hurrah, do we go all in and say "I don't care about the future bc this is probably our best chance for a while" even if he's only playing OK, knowing that there's a good chance he'll be worse next season? Or do we say "F it, unless Jumbo's on, there's no point spending good assets to go all in bc we aren't likely to get far anyway?"

Couture's line is working because of Marleau and Boedker, not because of Couture. But Boedker plays well in spurts and it would be unfair to Marleau to expect him to keep carrying the team like this. I'm still very concerned about Logan himself.

I don't think the Sharks have a choice but to go all-in again this year and hope that Jumbo clicks once the playoffs start.

But is Tierney?

Absolutely not. Neither is. But with Tierney, if you give him two strong possession players like Donskoi, Ward, or Meier, then they can keep him afloat and he has the offensive talent to make an impact. Carpenter hasn't proven that yet, although he's doubtlessly a better defensive player. I don't want either as my #3C, but I'd prefer Tierney (marginally). I'd prefer Carpenter at 4C more than Tierney if we have a good 3C. I would really prefer not to go into the playoffs with Tierney at 3C.

Hertl is a great player but he cant make jumbo play like a ppg center again.

That said, I don't think you can say this for sure. Jumbo didn't start playing well last year until Hertl joined his line. Hertl is obviously still getting back into the swing of things so I wouldn't conclude anything from his 3 games so far. If Hertl hasn't brought that line back up to snuff by the trade deadline, then I think our best option is to bring in a LW, and treat the Thornton line like a third line (in terms of deployment and minutes), whether that means separating Thornton and Pavelski or not.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Leblanc/Meier-Hertl-Donskoi

Vs

Leblanc/Meier-xxx-Donskoi

It's easier to fill xxx that it is to fill xxx on Thornton wing, + if xxx on Thorntons wing doesn't work out we likely move Hertl up anyway

Therefore I'd rather try and just fix that hole at 3C

Weve hunted for a 3c for a long time.

Henrique is an option but is he actually better than tierney?

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Couture's line is working because of Marleau and Boedker, not because of Couture. But Boedker plays well in spurts and it would be unfair to Marleau to expect him to keep carrying the team like this. I'm still very concerned about Logan himself.

I don't think the Sharks have a choice but to go all-in again this year and hope that Jumbo clicks once the playoffs start.

Completely agree that it's bc of Marleau and Boedker and how well they work together. I wasn't joking before when I said that Marleau fixed Thornton's line then when he was moved down he fixed Couture's and that we should clone Marleau (and Hertl and Burns). Part of it may have been bc PDB played Labanc there a lot and he and Couture drag each other down. I understand why it took PDB a while to move Donskoi bc he and Couture worked so well together in the playoffs last season (down the stretch too) but why leave Labanc there when it hurt both Couture and Labanc? But Marleau and Boedker work better than anyone else has (at least per my eye test). It seems to me that it's mostly Marleau and Boedker but Couture doesn't hinder them.

I"m also worried about Logan. He can be streaky but not for long stretches like this. Honestly, that's a big reason I'd really like Duchene (and he's good). Too bad we don't have the assets.

By all in do you mean sell the farm, e.g., any prospect or non-core player - Meier, Goldobin, Heed, Dillon, Donskoi, Braun (?), etc. + any picks if needed? Bc if Jumbo turns it around I think we should if we can get pieces that may help. But I'm ambivalent if he doesn't.

That said, I don't think you can say this for sure. Jumbo didn't start playing well last year until Hertl joined his line. Hertl is obviously still getting back into the swing of things so I wouldn't conclude anything from his 3 games so far. If Hertl hasn't brought that line back up to snuff by the trade deadline, then I think our best option is to bring in a LW, and treat the Thornton line like a third line (in terms of deployment and minutes), whether that means separating Thornton and Pavelski or not.

That might work. Too bad JVR probably isn't going to be available (from rangershark's post) and there will probably be few sellers this year.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Completely agree that it's bc of Marleau and Boedker and how well they work together. I wasn't joking before when I said that Marleau fixed Thornton's line then when he was moved down he fixed Couture's and that we should clone Marleau (and Hertl and Burns). Part of it may have been bc PDB played Labanc there a lot and he and Couture drag each other down. I understand why it took PDB a while to move Donskoi bc he and Couture worked so well together in the playoffs last season (down the stretch too) but why leave Labanc there when it hurt both Couture and Labanc? But Marleau and Boedker work better than anyone else has (at least per my eye test). It seems to me that it's mostly Marleau and Boedker but Couture doesn't hinder them.

I"m also worried about Logan. He can be streaky but not for long stretches like this. Honestly, that's a big reason I'd really like Duchene (and he's good). Too bad we don't have the assets.

By all in do you mean sell the farm, e.g., any prospect or non-core player - Meier, Goldobin, Heed, Dillon, Donskoi, Braun (?), etc. + any picks if needed? Bc if Jumbo turns it around I think we should if we can get pieces that may help. But I'm ambivalent if he doesn't.

That might work. Too bad JVR probably isn't going to be available (from rangershark's post) and there will probably be few sellers this year.

I would sell futures like Goldobin if it weren't a rental and was a future-oriented move as well.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I would sell futures like Goldobin if it weren't a rental and was a future-oriented move as well.

OK but not "sell everything, damn the future, we're all in for now"? Bc I'm thinking I'd do that if Jumbo turns it around before the TDL. It's probably our best shot at the Cup. There is a risk bc he might be better next season than he is this season but I'd take that risk.

Whether Thornton turns it around or not, I'm for selling prospects and picks but if he doesn't turn it around before the TDL I'd probably want a future-oriented move too (or balanced between future and now). I don't think I want to go all in and, e.g., spend a lot for a rental or someone who will only be around for one full year or is likely to decline quickly. Not that those are likely but I'd weigh the future at close to 0 if he turns it around.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Devils fan is suggesting Cammalleri for 1st + prospect. No clue on that one, I don't follow the Devils basically at all. Bleedred, you have any thoughts?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Devils fan is suggesting Cammalleri for 1st + prospect. No clue on that one, I don't follow the Devils basically at all. Bleedred, you have any thoughts?

Didn't they say Cammalieri at 50% on the Trade forums? I mean I would consider it because I think he would be an upgrade over Tierney. My main concern with him is that he is 36 and signed for another 2 years after. Also, even a 2.5M cap hit would be tough to work with this year.

Jul 10, 2010
By all in do you mean sell the farm, e.g., any prospect or non-core player - Meier, Goldobin, Heed, Dillon, Donskoi, Braun (?), etc. + any picks if needed?.

Not a 35 year old rental, but if the guys around 27, then yeah no one should be untouchable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma