Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2016-17: Meier reassigned 4/23/17

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Centers will be Pavs, Marleau, Hertl and Tierney.

Lines will be:

Meier-Pavs-Karlsson
Ward-Marleau-Donskoi
Hansen-Hertl-Boedker
Labanc-Tierney-Sorensen

That's a guess obviously, but it has the least amount of roster movement.

I would say:
Marleau - Pavs - Labanc
HHB
Karlsson - Tierney - Donskoi
Timo - Haley - Ward

That's 3 workable lines and a garbage truck.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Meier sent down again.

I haven't watched games that closely this year but is he as underwhelming as I am thinking he is?

Not ready to call him a bust, though. He's still young but man, I have not been that impressed.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I haven't watched games that closely this year but is he as underwhelming as I am thinking he is?

Not ready to call him a bust, though. He's still young but man, I have not been that impressed.

I'm pretty neutral about it. He looks like he could play in the NHL but he hasn't developed the poise of a scorer in the NHL yet. More consistent AHL time to get that confidence and timing would be great.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

My feeling is he wasn't physically ready for a full NHL season, and being out with mono at the beginning didn't help.

He was very good in his AHL time at the beginning of the season, and then just fell off. Even when he went back down to the AHL later in the season he wasn't playing with the same energy. If he's this same way next year, then I'm going to start raising red flags.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
My feeling is he wasn't physically ready for a full NHL season, and being out with mono at the beginning didn't help.

He was very good in his AHL time at the beginning of the season, and then just fell off. Even when he went back down to the AHL later in the season he wasn't playing with the same energy. If he's this same way next year, then I'm going to start raising red flags.

Yeah, definitely not fair to judge this year due to mono and him still being young. Just sucks because there are other players from his draft making immediate impact. I'll wait another year. Or maybe he's a clutch playoff player.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Meier's game-to-game effort was a concern in the Q, hopefully that's not an issue still. Meier was phenomenal in his first AHL stint but since he first got called up to the NHL he's been meh in both leagues.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, definitely not fair to judge this year due to mono and him still being young. Just sucks because there are other players from his draft making immediate impact. I'll wait another year. Or maybe he's a clutch playoff player.

Meier has a lot of the tools that tend to lead to success in the playoffs in the NHL. He's a fairly direct player that plays physically and puts pucks at the net. It's just really the puck management and defensive play that is concerning but not to the point that it isn't fixable with time.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I've seen meier with multiple ten bell chances of the type you hardly see on the fourth line. he has yet to score on any of them though.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

He's Tommy Wingels 2.0 as I've been saying from the beginning.

Intent

Dec 30, 2015
San Jose
Meier shows all the flashes that you want, IMO. Honestly, he just seems so raw. Like he can pass and shoot well, has the IQ to pick out better options, and is engaged. But the package isn't coming together. The only hope is that he needs time and seasoning. I remember when we was drafted him someone who followed him in the Q said that his first season he looked overmatched but was able to adjust the next season. That's what i hope he can do with the NHL game, because I do see flashes of a quality player.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Meier's defensive play is fine.

Not every rookie is going to light the world on fire, it's important to remember that. Unlike what Sideshow seems to believe, everyone develops at different paces. Just because he isn't a star at 20 years old doesn't mean he isn't going to be a good player.

I see Sideshow is busy burying Meier after 32 games, but gave Goldobin and Nieto years of patience. Funny.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
The only issue I have with Meier is he hasn't fully matured phycially and gets outmuscled way too easily. He might not be top 6 material for at least another 2 years.

That and he falls down a lot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lol if you think Timo Meier is faster than Tommy Wingels.

He actually is and given our last discussion revolving around someone's speed where you were so clearly off base, I'm not even going to bother beyond this on that point. It's pretty clear you don't pay close attention to the players on the team you supposedly want to succeed.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
He actually is and given our last discussion revolving around someone's speed where you were so clearly off base, I'm not even going to bother beyond this on that point. It's pretty clear you don't pay close attention to the players on the team you supposedly want to succeed.

Meier is an average skater at best. Practically every draft year scouting report on him mentioned skating wasn't his strong suit and it's so obvious from watching him that he doesn't have that extra gear. Not that Wingels is blazing fast by any means but he's certainly a faster skater.

And the "last discussion" was you claiming Roman Polak is fast so there's zero reason to take you seriously on this subject.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Again, Wingels isn't even super fast or anything but Timo Meier simply does not have this kind of burst of speed in his arsenal:

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I'd honestly agree that on straight-line speed, Wingels may be faster. Once he got galloping, he could damn near fly.

But Wingels was fast in the same sense that Mike Grier was fast, in that, while they had impressive top speed, their acceleration, agility, etc. was garbage.

Meier, as a whole, as a much faster, more agile player than Wingels overall.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Meier is an average skater at best. Practically every draft year scouting report on him mentioned skating wasn't his strong suit and it's so obvious from watching him that he doesn't have that extra gear. Not that Wingels is blazing fast by any means but he's certainly a faster skater.

And the "last discussion" was you claiming Roman Polak is fast so there's zero reason to take you seriously on this subject.

Wrong again. The last discussion was you saying that DeMelo was faster than Polak which is simply not true. Wingels is not blazing fast but faster than Meier is not a claim I'd make since there isn't really anything to support it. Neither are really that fast.

It's hilarious that you want to throw out comments like taking anyone seriously when you've proven repeatedly to get things so clearly wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad