Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2016-17: Meier reassigned 4/23/17

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Question: The CBA says the waiver period starts 12 days before the start of the season - and Heed was assigned to the AHL 5 days before the start of the season. If Heed is not waiver exempt for this season, does that mean he had to go through waivers to be assigned on Oct 7th? (I'm too lazy to figure out the ins and outs of the waiver system, I just come here and wait for someone smarter to answer the questions, so forgive me if this is a stupid question!)

If he did, then aren't the Sharks free to return him to the AHL as long as he spends less than 30 days or 10 games with the big club?

He didn't have to be waived to go down (atleast none that was reported). But still nobody understands why because waiver rules states pretty clearly he should need to lol. So nobody knows what will happen now that he is up in the nhl lol.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Question: The CBA says the waiver period starts 12 days before the start of the season - and Heed was assigned to the AHL 5 days before the start of the season. If Heed is not waiver exempt for this season, does that mean he had to go through waivers to be assigned on Oct 7th? (I'm too lazy to figure out the ins and outs of the waiver system, I just come here and wait for someone smarter to answer the questions, so forgive me if this is a stupid question!)

If he did, then aren't the Sharks free to return him to the AHL as long as he spends less than 30 days or 10 games with the big club?

He didn't go through waivers, he was just sent down. No one is really sure what the deal is with his contract, including Capfriendly. At this point I think we'd actually have to speak to someone inside the NHL offices to find out the situation.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I get that. Just trying to figure how he's not eligible. Is there another player that never played a single game in the AHL or NHL under their ELC contract that ended up playing in the NHL? Especially one from Europe?

I don't know of any. But I don't keep track of that either so there could be many that I missed.

It is puzzling. So far, my best guess is that, after he signed with the Ducks, the paperwork about loans to other clubs didn't get properly filed with the NHL so he was never "Loaned" to Skelleftea within the definition under the NHL collective bargaining agreement and none of the games with Skelleftea counted in running down the "years" clock. But that's a pure guess and requires info I don't have. Maybe the clock started again when he signed with the Sharks but I don't think that's ever happened with other players from Europe who don't play with the first team who signed them. I'm really not sure why he's exempt.

The only thing that I'm fairly confident about is that since he was exempt earlier this season, he's exempt now bc, except for the NHL games played metric (which he isn't close to reaching), the counting for who is exempt goes by season so that you're exempt for X full seasons.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I am not sure why people are confused about heed not playing tonight.

I am sure it is not a good thing for a defensemen to play his 1st nhl game without a single practice.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

I am sure it is not a good thing for a defensemen to play his 1st nhl game without a single practice.

I agree about this but it just makes last night's summit to decide whether to call up Heed or Ryan to sit in the press box odd. If they don't even get to practice with the team, why is the decision that important? Both Heed and Ryan are playing well and deserve a reward.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

The theory is that the Cuda are running the same system as the Sharks, and so players can just step in either.

But you'll notice that we're merely sad, and not yelling for someone's head, since you're right in reality.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Yea that's probably the case here. No Sharks practice time yet.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The theory is that the Cuda are running the same system as the Sharks, and so players can just step in either.

But you'll notice that we're merely sad, and not yelling for someone's head, since you're right in reality.

Oh i agree with the top part about systems. But playing partners and nhl speed are 2 totally new things that need to be learned. And yes i know nhl speed won't be fully learned in practice but it is better then nothing.

Now if this continues for a couple games then i would start to worry lol.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Nice. Now this is exciting.

Put him on the second power-play unit, stat.

I really hope PDB shakes up the powerplay and splits up the big boys on the top unit to two more balanced units, and gives Heed the chance to really help run one of them. The fist unit has gotten so stale in trying to constantly find Pavs or Burns for a one timer from high faceoff circle, and I don't know what the **** the 2nd unit is even trying to do half the time.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I really hope PDB shakes up the powerplay and splits up the big boys on the top unit to two more balanced units, and gives Heed the chance to really help run one of them. The fist unit has gotten so stale in trying to constantly find Pavs or Burns for a one timer from high faceoff circle, and I don't know what the **** the 2nd unit is even trying to do half the time.

Trying to not get scored on.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I just read through the waivers section of the CBA, and everything points to Heed requiring waivers. Since he signed a contract with the Ducks in 2012, at age 21, and played in professional games in Sweden, his waiver clock of 3 years started. So at this point, he should require waivers. The only possible explanation that makes sense from the CBA is that since he was signed by the Sharks at age 25+, he is exempt from waivers for this season only. Which would imply that somehow, since he was not retained by the Ducks, and spent a season unaffiliated with an organization, that his waiver clock was nullified in some way. Of course, there is no clear wording in the CBA stating that special cases like his exist. That's the best I got.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I just read through the waivers section of the CBA, and everything points to Heed requiring waivers. Since he signed a contract with the Ducks in 2012, at age 21, and played in professional games in Sweden, his waiver clock of 3 years started. So at this point, he should require waivers. The only possible explanation that makes sense from the CBA is that since he was signed by the Sharks at age 25+, he is exempt from waivers for this season only. Which would imply that somehow, since he was not retained by the Ducks, and spent a season unaffiliated with an organization, that his waiver clock was nullified in some way. Of course, there is no clear wording in the CBA stating that special cases like his exist. That's the best I got.

As i said the weirdest situation ever.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He didn't have to be waived to go down (atleast none that was reported). But still nobody understands why because waiver rules states pretty clearly he should need to lol. So nobody knows what will happen now that he is up in the nhl lol.

Back at the start of the season:

DW: "Alright, we're sending Heed down"

Joe Will: "He'll have to clear waivers."

DW: "Too late, the paperwork's already submitted"

JW: "Oh god, he's going to get clai- huh? The league put him through to the AHL, no waivers. They screwed up."

DW: "Shhh! If you don't say anything, maybe nobody will notice and we'll get away with it!"

JW: "But the rules say..."

DW: "HEED WAS ASSIGNED TO THE MINORS OUTRIGHT JUST AS HE SHOULD'VE BEEN THE WHOLE TIME! THERE ARE NO IRREGULARITIES HERE! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SOMEBODY GET HEED HIS BARRACUDA JERSEY!"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Yeah, I went through the CBA to figure out prospect status at the beginning of the year and everything seems to indicate that Heed should require waivers. Just like how I can't figure out why we still have the rights to several players like Galimov, Sateri, and Tarasov (and they are included in the official Sharks prospect report PDF file) even though we shouldn't (though I suppose that has to do with international agreements and quirks with the KHL)

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah, I went through the CBA to figure out prospect status at the beginning of the year and everything seems to indicate that Heed should require waivers. Just like how I can't figure out why we still have the rights to several players like Galimov, Sateri, and Tarasov (and they are included in the official Sharks prospect report PDF file) even though we shouldn't (though I suppose that has to do with international agreements and quirks with the KHL)

Confirmed wilson is actually houdini.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Back at the start of the season:

DW: "Alright, we're sending Heed down"

Joe Will: "He'll have to clear waivers."

DW: "Too late, the paperwork's already submitted"

JW: "Oh god, he's going to get clai- huh? The league put him through to the AHL, no waivers. They screwed up."

DW: "Shhh! If you don't say anything, maybe nobody will notice and we'll get away with it!"

JW: "But the rules say..."

DW: "HEED WAS ASSIGNED TO THE MINORS OUTRIGHT JUST AS HE SHOULD'VE BEEN THE WHOLE TIME! THERE ARE NO IRREGULARITIES HERE! LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU! SOMEBODY GET HEED HIS BARRACUDA JERSEY!"

Is this not what literally happened though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad