Prospect Info: Sharks prospects info/discussion thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Sadowy has a Gordie Howe hat trick in the game vs. Oshawa.

Barrie just went ahead 4-3 with about 3 minutes left in the game.

Edit: Sadowy just scored again, I think the Colts are pretty happy with their acquisition.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Labanc/Vanier/Schoenborn with an assist
Shadow with 2 goals and an assist
Fitz/O'Regan with a goal
Helewka/Chartier with 2 goals

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Both Cukste and Parsells had one of their best games of the season last night. They've both turned the corner as 3 zone players since the Christmas break.

Mayo8898

May 18, 2014
Schoenborn/Shadow (7 game goal-streak) with a goal
Roy/Vanier/Meier/Helewka with an assist
Vela with 2 assists

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
What's going on with Roy right now? His production has dropped pretty bad recently

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
What's going on with Roy right now? His production has dropped pretty bad recently
I've watched him a lot recently. He hasn't been bad, he's just not getting involved offensively as many would like. He plays a ton of minutes (probably close to half a game) for a bad Sherbrooke team, and I'm kind of surprised he isn't putting up better numbers. He doesn't jump into the play as much as guys like Rasmus Andersson of Barrie and Noah Juulsen of Everett. I noticed this at the Canada scrimmage last summer too. Still, he plays all situations; PP, PK, 3v3, etc. and has really good instincts in the defensive zone. Roy makes a good breakout pass and has good poise and positioning everywhere on the ice.

Unless he makes the Sharks next year (almost zero chance), he's headed back to the Q. I hope he focuses more on his offense in the coming years, as the Sharks really need that from their blueline. He'll likely play a key role on Canada at the WJC next season. He could develop into a very good two-way top-4 defenseman, but I don't know if he has the offensive capabilities to become that true offensive top pairing d-man.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He could develop into a very good two-way top-4 defenseman, but I don't know if he has the offensive capabilities to become that true offensive top pairing d-man.

What was his projection coming out of the draft? Was he projected to be a top pairing offensive defenseman?

No player comps, please.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
What was his projection coming out of the draft? Was he projected to be a top pairing offensive defenseman?

No player comps, please.
Not really, but his offense was pretty hyped up going into the draft and I just haven't seen much of it so far. There is still plenty of time, of course, to develop consistency in that side of his game. You can see flashes of it at times but I really hope he can become a threat from the back end.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I've watched him a lot recently. He hasn't been bad, he's just not getting involved offensively as many would like. He plays a ton of minutes (probably close to half a game) for a bad Sherbrooke team, and I'm kind of surprised he isn't putting up better numbers. He doesn't jump into the play as much as guys like Rasmus Andersson of Barrie and Noah Juulsen of Everett. I noticed this at the Canada scrimmage last summer too. Still, he plays all situations; PP, PK, 3v3, etc. and has really good instincts in the defensive zone. Roy makes a good breakout pass and has good poise and positioning everywhere on the ice.

Unless he makes the Sharks next year (almost zero chance), he's headed back to the Q. I hope he focuses more on his offense in the coming years, as the Sharks really need that from their blueline. He'll likely play a key role on Canada at the WJC next season. He could develop into a very good two-way top-4 defenseman, but I don't know if he has the offensive capabilities to become that true offensive top pairing d-man.

I'm not sure how much you watched of Roy prior to this season but over the last 20ish games he looks like a different player to me & my guess is it's by design due in part to injuries (he's had some 'lower body' issues this year).

His first two+ seasons with Sherbrooke he was dynamic offensively, the offense more or less ran through him when he was on the ice. He has high end vision & passing abilities & can rush the puck with the best of them (in Juniors). He has above average puck skills and the confidence to utilize them.

Recently, as you said he hasn't been jumping into the play much and looks to be focusing on his defensive play, he's also been working on his shot which he needs to use more often.

While it's unlikely he gets there I think he has both the offensive & defensive abilities to be a top pairing d-man.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I'm not sure how much you watched of Roy prior to this season but over the last 20ish games he looks like a different player to me & my guess is it's by design due in part to injuries (he's had some 'lower body' issues this year).

His first two+ seasons with Sherbrooke he was dynamic offensively, the offense more or less ran through him when he was on the ice. He has high end vision & passing abilities & can rush the puck with the best of them (in Juniors). He has above average puck skills and the confidence to utilize them.

Recently, as you said he hasn't been jumping into the play much and looks to be focusing on his defensive play, he's also been working on his shot which he needs to use more often.

While it's unlikely he gets there I think he has both the offensive & defensive abilities to be a top pairing d-man.
That's good to hear. I didn't watch Roy prior to this season aside from highlight and shift-by-shift videos.

----

Here are my January 2016 Prospect Updates

http://www.deadlywaters.net/prospects/january-2016-prospect-updates

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
What do you guys think of petter emanuelsson? What's his NHL upside? 2Nd/3rd liner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad