Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
You know, I'd be so happy if Bordeleau actually becomes a strong 3rd line Center. We sure could use one.

Like that he is putting a lot of work into his faceoff skills and it has been paying off so far at the levels he played. Hope it will translate to AHL and ultimately NHL.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What are you even talking about? The most that most people said was that he'd be a solid 3C and that there's potential for him to be a top-six center in the future.

A few people said that Bords would probably be our 2C not because he's a true top-six center, but because the Sharks' depth is so terrible that he'd be there because someone has to play 2C.
The problem is people can use the word "potential" differently. Does Ozzy Wiesblatt have superstar potential? Yes! If a bunch of highly improbable things goes his way, he'll be a superstar...but at this point, there's like a 0.05% of that happening.

Whatever people thought Bordeleau's ceiling was, and whatever percentage of reaching it they thought he had, I would agree with @Hodge that expectations surrounding the prospects have generally been unreasonable.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
If even the biggest Bordeleau defenders are now using Kevin Labanc as the best case scenario for him I think we can all agree that I was right all along.
This is why listening to you is a complete waste of time. You constantly change your argument. You said no one except Eklund has an NHL future. Labanc is clearly an NHL player and at his best a top 6 forward capable of 50 points. Far from a guy who isn’t an NHL player. Continue trolling though.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
This is why listening to you is a complete waste of time. You constantly change your argument. You said no one except Eklund has an NHL future. Labanc is clearly an NHL player and at his best a top 6 forward capable of 50 points. Far from a guy who isn’t an NHL player. Continue trolling though.
My point is that expectations have already been adjusted downward from surefire future top six center to 2nd/3rd line tweener wing. By this time next year it should become clear to everyone that even projecting Bordeleau to stick on a NHL third line is a stretch.

• Haha
Reactions: Patty Ice

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
My point is that expectations have already been adjusted downward from surefire future top six center to 2nd/3rd line tweener wing. By this time next year it should become clear to everyone that even projecting Bordeleau to stick on a NHL third line is a stretch.
You have to read this board with a particularly skewed lense to reach the conclusion that consensus here was/is that Bordeleau is a “surefire top six center.” Some people here are absolutely too optimistic when it comes to prospects. You are too pessimistic. The truth is none of us know with any certainty what Bordeleau will become. I try to stay positive but realistic. Life is better if you see the glass half full.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Your point is based off of warped information you've bullshitted yourself into. The amount of people that thought Bordeleau was a surefire anything is nowhere near the consensus you tried to make it out to be. Why are you so desperate to make yourself out like this martyr?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Your point is based off of warped information you've bullshitted yourself into. The amount of people that thought Bordeleau was a surefire anything is nowhere near the consensus you tried to make it out to be. Why are you so desperate to make yourself out like this martyr?

He is acting like he is a Svengali that has controlled the board into thinking his way. It's pretty hilarious the delusion of this individual. Twisting his warped thought process like it's reality.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Paywall. Pronman ranks Sharks are #21

Eklund, Bordeleau, Merkley, Havelid, Coe, Bystedt, Lund, Robins, Weisblatt, Kniaznev are his top 10.
I think he’s too high on Bordeleau and Merkley but overall a realistic write up and ranking. Three years in the basement and all we have to show for it is a bottom ten prospect pool. Yet some fans think Dougs Sr. and Jr. should still be running the show.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think he’s too high on Bordeleau and Merkley but overall a realistic write up and ranking. Three years in the basement and all we have to show for it is a bottom ten prospect pool. Yet some fans think Dougs Sr. and Jr. should still be running the show.
If you take out the bottom sentence this would be considered a respectable post. The last sentence is condescending and serves no purpose other than to incite conflict. Why even include it?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
If you take out the bottom sentence this would be considered a respectable post. The last sentence is condescending and serves no purpose other than to incite conflict. Why even include it?
It's his opinion, and it's relevant to the topic at hand. If it incites conflict...well, that's the internet.

Wheeler had us at 14 here before the 2022 draft: Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 14 San Jose Sharks

I’d trust Wheeler over Pronman.
Granted, Stutzle would probably not be eligible for this article, and that remains DW's biggest foible these past few years. But you have to imagine that an ownership/management group that was more realistic about the status of the team would have pursued a harder rebuild, meaning the Sharks would have had even worse picks the past two years.

With a deeper reading, some of the analysis is puzzling. Robins is 4/5 "Above NHL average" yet projects as a borderline player? The average of the NHL is a middle-of-the-lineup guy, so if he's so above average you'd think he'd be a top-6 player.

Last edited:

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It's his opinion, and it's relevant to the topic at hand. If it incites conflict...well, that's the internet.
Also against rules he agreed to when he signed up:

2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Also against rules he agreed to when he signed up:

2) Trolling: Do not make posts that could be interpreted as though they were made to cause an argument or provoke others. Making generalizations about other posters is a common form of trolling. Posting questionable content on team boards, particularly those of rivals, is likely to be seen as trolling.
If that post violates the rule then 80% of posts will do so. Because any post that rebuts a point or presents a differing opinion can cause or argument or be provoking.

The spirit of the rule is more like that American idiom; you know it when you see it.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Granted, Stutzle would probably not be eligible for this article, and that remains DW's biggest foible these past few years. But you have to imagine that an ownership/management group that was more realistic about the status of the team would have pursued a harder rebuild, meaning the Sharks would have had even worse picks the past two years.

With a deeper reading, some of the analysis is puzzling. Robins is 4/5 "Above NHL average" yet projects as a borderline player? The average of the NHL is a middle-of-the-lineup guy, so if he's so above average you'd think he'd be a top-6 player.
You’ve hit on what makes Pronman problematic. He has no internal consistency and no method to his madness. He attempts to explain that exact thing with a canned statement every article trying to explain that those rankings are compared to an NHL average but cannot explain why certain players will be above average at everything yet ranked below players with worse grades. It’s baffling. He needs to rethink that system but seemingly doesn’t have the energy or the care to do so. He also does not actually spend the time to comb through prospects and just releases blurbs that are regurgitated from other outlets about players. He has a really poor grasp on skating analysis IMO as well but that’s a personal opinion. As someone who spends too much time on amateur prospect analysis, he’s really infuriating. His job is difficult because he’s essentially tasked with being “the guy” for the Athletic, and covering that much ground for every team is extremely difficult, and I personally believe he is cutting corners and isn’t putting his actual ability into it.

That’s the rant.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
If that post violates the rule then 80% of posts will do so. Because any post that rebuts a point or presents a differing opinion can cause or argument or be provoking.

The spirit of the rule is more like that American idiom; you know it when you see it.

If done in bad faith which are the majority of his posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad