Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info/Discussion Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Chekhovich names 1st star after scoring 1g, 1a (5-2 win). After 32 games he is six points shy of his point total from last season (65 games, 60 points)
Merkley with a goal going into OT (4-4)
Chmelevski with zeros across the board in a 5-1 win

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I'm not sure how on your radar UNH goalie Mike Robinson (3rd/2015) is, but he posted his first NCAA shutout tonight...

Robinson has had a GREAT first half for a pretty shaky UNH team - he is sporting a 2.16 GAA and a .929 SPCT. He had one tough outing in a 5-1 loss to #1 UMass when the UNH defense really hung him out to dry on a few chances and if you remove that outlier his stats this season are 1.90 / .939...

He's big, seemingly even taller when he plays on his knees, very good positionally and pretty damn athletic for his size - moving really well side to side...

He seemed to fade off the radar for a couple seasons between being drafted and getting to UNH. I wasn't sure what to expect. Last season he sat in deference to an inferior senior goaltender, but so far this season he has been fantastic and it has been much needed...

---

Vela continues to work and play very hard - but I really expected him to be more of a factor offensively when he committed to UNH years ago...

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I'm not sure how on your radar UNH goalie Mike Robinson (3rd/2015) is, but he posted his first NCAA shutout tonight...

Robinson has had a GREAT first half for a pretty shaky UNH team - he is sporting a 2.16 GAA and a .929 SPCT. He had one tough outing in a 5-1 loss to #1 UMass when the UNH defense really hung him out to dry on a few chances and if you remove that outlier his stats this season are 1.90 / .939...

He's big, seemingly even taller when he plays on his knees, very good positionally and pretty damn athletic for his size - moving really well side to side...

He seemed to fade off the radar for a couple seasons between being drafted and getting to UNH. I wasn't sure what to expect. Last season he sat in deference to an inferior senior goaltender, but so far this season he has been fantastic and it has been much needed...

---

Vela continues to work and play very hard - but I really expected him to be more of a factor offensively when he committed to UNH years ago...

I get a similar feeling about each player. I went to that UMass-UNH game and didn't think Robinson was good for the first 2 periods but he was great in the 3rd. He's on a pretty bad UNH team this year and playing relatively well. He definitely has size and athleticism. Vela, I really haven't been impressed with when watching him. He plays physically but that's about it IMO.

Reactions: NewHampshire

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Vela, Reedy, Weatherby, Jackson and Cukste are all collegiate players that I don’t think have a future with the Sharks.

Yea, I mostly agree. I watched Cukste this past weekend at the UMass Quinnipiac game and barely noticed him at all. He's big-ish and not noticing a D-man could be a positive, but if you want a pro future, I'd expect you to be more dominating in college. Quinnipiac is a very good team though.

Ferraro and Leonard, both looked really solid again. Ferraro continues to impress me. Do we think there will be space for him in the AHL next season? I could see him staying one more season at UMass if there isn't, but I do think he could make the jump after his sophomore season.

Leonard probably stays one more year, but he's another guy who could be borderline for jumping to pro.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Vela, Reedy, Weatherby, Jackson and Cukste are all collegiate players that I don’t think have a future with the Sharks.

Yeah, this is pretty fair.

I guess what's also fair is that outside of Reedy and Weatherby, they were all late-round picks (5-7). And those two were only 4th rounders.

honestly, the only one that strikes me as particularly disappointing is Reedy. He looked like a potential steal immediately after he was drafted, and it all went downhill from there. Though he seems to have been an old-timey Sharks "tools but no toolbox" pick.

I know you're talking skaters, but I'd also lump Kupsky in there too. Probably Robinson as well as I feel like this year's resurgence is too little, too late for him.

MegalodonOnIce

Dec 23, 2015
Great White North
Blichfeld has now surpassed his career highs in points and goals, and tied his career high in assists in just 32 games. (29-32-61)
His previous seasons were 63 and 56 games a piece. He's also not eligible for the World Juniors, which means hopefully he can continue to compete for that scoring title. He's only 3 points behind both Leason and Fix-Wolansky.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Blichfeld has now surpassed his career highs in points and goals, and tied his career high in assists in just 32 games. (29-32-61)
His previous seasons were 63 and 56 games a piece. He's also not eligible for the World Juniors, which means hopefully he can continue to compete for that scoring title. He's only 3 points behind both Leason and Fix-Wolansky.

Leason is on the Canadian camp roster and I figure is a decent bet to make Team Canada. Fix-Wolansky didn't make the Canadian short-list, so he'll be going toe-to-toe with Blichfeld.

The tipping point is that the Oil Kings aren't losing any of their other players to other WJC teams (they barely have any Americans and none of note, and their two imports are from Belarus) as far as I'm aware while the Winterhawks will give up Cody Glass to Canada. So Blichfeld is going to have to do more to keep things going while Fix-Wolansky gets to keep on riding with basically the same team he's had all season.

Also regarding the Sharks prospect performance last night:

WHL Tonight: Blichfeld’s four-point night guides Winterhawks over Royals as Sharks prospects dominate – WHL Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad