Sharks News/Notes XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Interesting. Not sure if it's what they were going for, but the edges of the SJ and Shield logos remind me of IC pins on a circuit board.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Had a nice chat with the guy who does the Sharks ads at today's practice.

Sounds like this year's "holiday video" will be a doozy.

Fun reminiscing about all the old commercials. (Like Vlasic's "Lousy Gardener" commercial -- could not find any talent to take the leaf blower output, so it was his wife who did the role.)

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Something to look forward to listening for.

Was Owen on the radio for the game against Tampa? I thought it was an unfamiliar voice, so maybe. He'll do good because Dan is one of the best radio play-by-play guys in the business. An eagle Scout to boot!

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Was Owen on the radio for the game against Tampa? I thought it was an unfamiliar voice, so maybe. He'll do good because Dan is one of the best radio play-by-play guys in the business. An eagle Scout to boot!

Anaheim.

Hedican was "back" for Tampa.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
McIndoe ranks the GM's likely to make trades coming up on the TDL. He released the bottom 15, least likely, today over at ESPN.com.

Doug Wilson is not among that list. So he's made the top 15 which McIndoe releases tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what McIndoe thinks of DW and whether he's trading to rebuild or be competitive.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14374075/nhl-ranking-gms-most-likely-make-trades

I think it's likely that DW will make a trade. I think so because we have two very clear-cut needs that are both addressable without any sort of block-buster: A #6 RH PMD, and a 3rd line goal-scoring wing.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think it's likely that DW will make a trade. I think so because we have two very clear-cut needs that are both addressable without any sort of block-buster: A #6 RH PMD, and a 3rd line goal-scoring wing.

Me too because I think DW will do everything he possibly can to get this team into the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a trade for a d-man happens some time in the not so distant future but cap space is his biggest issue and it probably will be all the way up to the TDL.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Me too because I think DW will do everything he possibly can to get this team into the playoffs.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a trade for a d-man happens some time in the not so distant future but cap space is his biggest issue and it probably will be all the way up to the TDL.

My thoughts are along those lines as well. DW's off season acquisitions showed that he was not rebuilding, but retooling to stay competitive and make a post-season appearance. Since the pacific division is so weak, I suspect he'll continue that trend.

Oddly, though, I thought DW would have claimed Stoll from waivers. With Couture only playing in 5 games this season out of 30 so far, he's been Glassture lately. Stoll being a 4th line center would be good insurance. Plus, he's cheap and can be buried in the AHL. Not to mention Stoll would love proving to his old team, the Kings, showing them how wrong they were. That could come in handy in the post-season.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Oddly, though, I thought DW would have claimed Stoll from waivers. With Couture only playing in 5 games this season out of 30 so far, he's been Glassture lately. Stoll being a 4th line center would be good insurance. Plus, he's cheap and can be buried in the AHL. Not to mention Stoll would love proving to his old team, the Kings, showing them how wrong they were. That could come in handy in the post-season.

I don't think the Sharks are at a stage where they can afford to pay someone who is buried in the minors.

I would have to imagine that there is a lot of bad blood WRT the Sharks and Stoll, as well. Vlasic, Thornton, etc. have all tangled with him.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
My thoughts are along those lines as well. DW's off season acquisitions showed that he was not rebuilding, but retooling to stay competitive and make a post-season appearance. Since the pacific division is so weak, I suspect he'll continue that trend.

But it never snows in San Jose...

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
So who would be the likely salary shed from the Sharks? Wingles? Patty?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
McIndoe ranks the GM's likely to make trades coming up on the TDL. He released the bottom 15, least likely, today over at ESPN.com.

Doug Wilson is not among that list. So he's made the top 15 which McIndoe releases tomorrow. Will be interesting to see what McIndoe thinks of DW and whether he's trading to rebuild or be competitive.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14374075/nhl-ranking-gms-most-likely-make-trades

15. Doug Wilson, San Jose Sharks

Current standings: 15-14-1, second place in the Pacific

Estimated cap room: $1 million (assuming Ben Smith is on the LTIR)

Remember when a Patrick Marleau deal felt like a sure thing? That was only a few weeks ago, but the buzz around that move has quieted down significantly. The wide-open Pacific says Wilson should be looking to deal; the cap says he might not be able to. Either way, he tends to do most of his trading in the offseason or at the trade deadline. And history says we shouldn't expect anything over the next few weeks; he hasn't made a deal in December since 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad