Rumor: Sharks looking for vet goalie, Jones played his last game as a Shark?

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
At some point Wilson has to realize that goalies are 90 percent mental.

When your team bleeds high quality chances and odd man breaks, your goalies get pissed at their teammates for not doing their jobs. A pissed goalie tends to make difficult saves, but often gives up soft goals.

Unless they can find a goalie who let's nothing rattle him(rare), results are probably going to be the same.

They should just ride out Jones, tank for the next two drafts, and not waste any more assets trying to change what can't be fixed.

I predict Jones likely bounces back once out of San Jose.

Reactions: biturbo19

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

When your team bleeds high quality chances and odd man breaks, your goalies get pissed at their teammates for not doing their jobs. A pissed goalie tends to make difficult saves, but often gives up soft goals.

Unless they can find a goalie who let's nothing rattle him(rare), results are probably going to be the same.

They should just ride out Jones, tank for the next two drafts, and not waste any more assets trying to change what can't be fixed.

No truer words were ever spoken. If you have a flake on your team chances are that its one of your goalies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Eberle to San Jose for Jones + Lebanc + 7th overall?

San Jose upgrades Lebanc to Eberle and dumps Jones for their 1st. Seattle has the cap to eat Jones and gets a high 1st to get whichever D falls after most likely taking Berniers at 2. Get Lebanc to help the offense even though he's a downgrade on Eberle.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

Jones has never been the problem in SJ, but he is just flat out bad now. He isn't bouncing back. He was at his best when he was getting shelled with shots, so unless he wants to go to Detroit and contribute to the revolving door of goalies, he's done.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021

San Jose upgrades Lebanc to Eberle and dumps Jones for their 1st. Seattle has the cap to eat Jones and gets a high 1st to get whichever D falls after most likely taking Berniers at 2. Get Lebanc to help the offense even though he's a downgrade on Eberle.

Eberle is barely an upgrade on Labanc. That deal is awful for the Sharks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Eberle is barely an upgrade on Labanc. That deal is awful for the Sharks.

Lebanc has outscored Eberle once in the past 4 seasons. Which was Eberle's worst and Lebanc best. They get rid of Jones and don't have to eat any cap to do so.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Lebanc has outscored Eberle once in the past 4 seasons. Which was Eberle's worst and Lebanc best. They get rid of Jones and don't have to eat any cap to do so.

I'd rather eat the cap and keep the pick. Eberle, like Labanc, is beyond replaceable.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Nope. Not interested in moving draft picks to get rid of Jones. If they can't get rid of him with roster players only and retention/cap dump returns then bury him or buy him out.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Buyout or burial are their only real options.

Burial just seems like a weird option to me. Like...you're not really saving anything on that, by the time you've signed a guy to play that "veteran role" to replace him. That guy, if at all decent, is going to cost you at least the $1.125M or whatever you're saving there. If not a decent bit more. So it'd have to be purely about thinking you're gonna get a backup goaltending upgrade that's going to make a significant difference in the teams fortunes. Which is...ehhh...maybe. But are San Jose even really in a particularly competitive mode right now, for it to matter much?

Same with the buyout scenario to an extent. By the time you've hired your new Veteran Goaltender to replace a bought out Jones, you're probably bit off $1.5-2.5M of that temporary relief you might get in the near-term. Whittling it down to a fairly inconsequential amount of relief. All while adding dead cap for extra years down the line.

But i guess if he's truly lost the confidence of the team, the coaches aren't going to put him in, and it's going to be a wholly demoralizing experience to have him play games...maybe it makes sense on some level to just take their medicine and divorce themselves from a potentially toxic situation. But from the outside looking in...it just looks like a bit of an expensive and elaborate means of "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic". When whatever new guy you spend your $1.5-2.5M on, is probably also going to get similarly hung out to dry and lit up for some ugly numbers...and you're already essentially paying Jones to eat that bullet, no matter what you do. :dunno:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burial just seems like a weird option to me. Like...you're not really saving anything on that, by the time you've signed a guy to play that "veteran role" to replace him. That guy, if at all decent, is going to cost you at least the $1.125M or whatever you're saving there. If not a decent bit more. So it'd have to be purely about thinking you're gonna get a backup goaltending upgrade that's going to make a significant difference in the teams fortunes. Which is...ehhh...maybe. But are San Jose even really in a particularly competitive mode right now, for it to matter much?

Same with the buyout scenario to an extent. By the time you've hired your new Veteran Goaltender to replace a bought out Jones, you're probably bit off $1.5-2.5M of that temporary relief you might get in the near-term. Whittling it down to a fairly inconsequential amount of relief. All while adding dead cap for extra years down the line.

But i guess if he's truly lost the confidence of the team, the coaches aren't going to put him in, and it's going to be a wholly demoralizing experience to have him play games...maybe it makes sense on some level to just take their medicine and divorce themselves from a potentially toxic situation. But from the outside looking in...it just looks like a bit of an expensive and elaborate means of "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic". When whatever new guy you spend your $1.5-2.5M on, is probably also going to get similarly hung out to dry and lit up for some ugly numbers...and you're already essentially paying Jones to eat that bullet, no matter what you do. :dunno:

When you talk about buying out or burying someone, it's typically independent of the replacement solely because the situation becomes untenable. I'd like to bury him because I don't want the dead money to linger longer than it has to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad