Rumor: Sharks looking for vet goalie, Jones played his last game as a Shark?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Let me try this again.

X7Gq7Kr.jpg

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Not going to be cheap buying out Jones. It's not the sharks have a ton of cap space....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Not going to be cheap buying out Jones. It's not the sharks have a ton of cap space....

For what they're talking about bringing in, they have plenty of cap space. They're only talking about buying out Jones, bringing in another goalie, signing Hill, a 3C, and another forward that's likely depth. They only need like 3.5 for a vet goalie max, 2 for Hill, maybe 3 for a 3C, and maybe a mil for the other forward. 9.5 mil is something they have room for. They have about 9.2 as it stands now.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So...how exactly are they getting rid of him then? My understanding, is that his contract made him pretty much a Shark until the end. Have they decided to pony up the assets it'd take to move his deal to Seattle or Arizona or something? Swap him for Matt Murray? :laugh: Or are they just going to bite the bullet and eat a huge buyout like that, after seeing Minnesota do it? Make it some other GMs problem down the line?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So...how exactly are they getting rid of him then? My understanding, is that his contract made him pretty much a Shark until the end. Have they decided to pony up the assets it'd take to move his deal to Seattle or Arizona or something? Swap him for Matt Murray? :laugh: Or are they just going to bite the bullet and eat a huge buyout like that, after seeing Minnesota do it? Make it some other GMs problem down the line?

Buyout or burial are their only real options.

Reactions: Makoshark

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Im guessing buyout for jones?

The Sharks left a rookie goaltender in net to get shelled in the last game of the season, when it was clear he was overmatched, and after he had been shelled the prior game, and when they had a well-rested (8 days) backup in Martin Jones.

Jones will never suit up for the Sharks again. He's getting bought out because no team in the league wants him.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
It's probably gonna be Halak, but Jones being bought out shouldn't be a surprise given how they glued him to the bench the final week of the season.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Three .896% seasons on the bounce, which GM is going to be stupid enough to offer him $2-3m a year? There will be someone.

If Driedger is getting 3.5 mil then Jones isn't getting 2 mil after his performance. Jones will be lucky if a team even takes a flier on him. If he wants his career to continue, he's going to either need to to take an AHL deal anywhere or go to Europe. Nobody will give him a job with that sort of three year stat line.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Depends on what the return would need to be.
Bishop i suspect if not picked by Seattle then a buyout could be in the cards for him. He also waived his NMC so there is that. Can't help but think a 2nd or 3rd + an average+ prospect would be sufficient. Khudobin would not cost more than a 4th i would think.

Iwishihadaspacebar

Apr 27, 2021
If Driedger is getting 3.5 mil then Jones isn't getting 2 mil after his performance. Jones will be lucky if a team even takes a flier on him. If he wants his career to continue, he's going to either need to to take an AHL deal anywhere or go to Europe. Nobody will give him a job with that sort of three year stat line.

Never underestimate idiocy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bishop i suspect if not picked by Seattle then i can see a buyout for him. Khudobin would not cost more than a 4th i would think.

By the looks of it, Seattle is taking Oleksiak from the Stars so both goalies are available. I'd probably do Khudobin for a 4th provided we were also able to toss Simek back over.

Reactions: Cas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad