Rumor: Sharks in on Kovalchuk sweepstakes

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sharks aren't rebuilding so long as Pavs, JT, Burns and Marleau are here. Not saying I agree but that's the way it is. Let's go out and get Kovy and hope things fall into place.
If you think there's any chance the Sharks will re-sign Thorton and Marleau AND sign Kovy then you are delusional. The money just isn't there.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
14 million with the 73 million cap. To sign marleau, thornton, kovy.

Even if all 3 got 5 million it will be doable with one higher paid contract being taken by vegas.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Pretty easily at that. Jumbo and patty will be getting paid less (enough to cover burns's raise) and all that has to be done is trade dillon/ward/border, all depending on who Vegas takes.

I'm assuming Jumbo and Patty and Kovy at 6 mil and it's easy to account for even if there's a flat cap which is unlikely. I'm also assuming a 2 mil number for Tierney even though that's a very generous give for him at this stage. With expansion taking probably Schlemko's 2 mil and the fact that the team has to trade for Kovalchuk, that provides an opportunity to move someone like Ward or Boedker as well. They have the capability to easily afford all three guys if they want.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm assuming Jumbo and Patty and Kovy at 6 mil and it's easy to account for even if there's a flat cap which is unlikely. I'm also assuming a 2 mil number for Tierney even though that's a very generous give for him at this stage. With expansion taking probably Schlemko's 2 mil and the fact that the team has to trade for Kovalchuk, that provides an opportunity to move someone like Ward or Boedker as well. They have the capability to easily afford all three guys if they want.

How bout next year when you need to re-sign Hertl, Vlasic, and Jones?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
How bout next year when you need to re-sign Hertl, Vlasic, and Jones?

That depends on how much you expect. Hertl at this stage isn't going to get a substantial raise and I'd expect Vlasic and Jones to each get 6 mil at most as well. So if I'm expecting them to come in around 16 mil combined, it should be fine. You're letting Ward go and probably Hansen too. If you need to, you trade Karlsson as well. It just depends on what happens this off-season obviously.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
14 million with the 73 million cap. To sign marleau, thornton, kovy.

Even if all 3 got 5 million it will be doable with one higher paid contract being taken by vegas.

Boedker can be dumped if necessary.

although with the rumor of the cap going up to 77 million we may not even have to.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I would expect Kovalchuk to land somewhere on the East Coast. Have you ever flown from SF to Europe and back?

I have. Several times. And believe me flying to India and back from Seattle is even worse. For whatever reason, most flights to India are over the Atlantic and not Pacific.

But these guys will be flying 1st class and only a couple of times a year (I guess). Really should not matter that much to them.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

Haha... of course he will.

This is why I was not even the slightest bit interested in Kovy or Radulov. They have shown to be basically mercenaries who will bolt as soon as things are not going their way. I don't expect either of these guys to be playoff warriors, play through injury, or hell risk injury if it might effect their paycheck in the future.

I'd rather sign no one and basement dwell, seriously.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Haha... of course he will.

This is why I was not even the slightest bit interested in Kovy or Radulov. They have shown to be basically mercenaries who will bolt as soon as things are not going their way. I don't expect either of these guys to be playoff warriors, play through injury, or hell risk injury if it might effect their paycheck in the future.

You don't need them to be playoff warriors. If you have the right team, you can win with them and they would contribute. That's what counts.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
haha... Of course he will.

This is why i was not even the slightest bit interested in kovy or radulov. They have shown to be basically mercenaries who will bolt as soon as things are not going their way. I don't expect either of these guys to be playoff warriors, play through injury, or hell risk injury if it might effect their paycheck in the future.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not surprised about the Kovy situation. He left last time with a really good contract and not many teams (if any) would want to commit the term and money he is asking for. I would not want to give him anything more than a 2 year contract based on how he dealt with NJ.

I am perfectly fine with not landing him.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You don't need them to be playoff warriors. If you have the right team, you can win with them and they would contribute. That's what counts.

Yah, we are going to fundamentally disagree on that. This is exactly the kind of attitude you don't want on your team. The man would rather play against inferior opponents for a lesser championship title just for the paycheck. You don't think that is going to have an effect on his teammates?

Yah, good riddance.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yah, we are going to fundamentally disagree on that. This is exactly the kind of attitude you don't want on your team. The man would rather play against inferior opponents for a lesser championship title just for the paycheck. You don't think that is going to have an effect on his teammates?

Yah, good riddance.

Kovalchuk has already been to the Finals before so obviously it can be done with him. I'm sure that there are plenty with poor attitudes that have won championships. That's just an untenable absolutist mindset that a guy needs to act like this and this in order for the team to be able to win a championship with him. It quite simply isn't that way. And no, I don't think it's going to have an effect on his teammates because players aren't wired to be that easily influenced by other players.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If we're gonna lose Patty and Jumbo I don't even care agout how good the team is next season. Bring in Kovy and hope he is entertaining.

Worst case scenario is they leave, Wilson builds a mediocre team and gets mediocre results.

Either build a cup contending roster, or rebuild, anything in between at this point is stupidity.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Worst case scenario is they leave, Wilson builds a mediocre team and gets mediocre results.

Either build a cup contending roster, or rebuild, anything in between at this point is stupidity.

I agree. But this team won't be rebuilding so long as Burns, Jones, Vlasic, Couture, Pavs are around. Not saying I agree but they'll pretend they have a chance for as long as they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad