Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Polak and Spaling from Leafs for Torres and two 2nds

polmaniac932

Mar 25, 2006
San Jose
www.youtube.com
I think this needs to be re-introduced.
Many were up in arms about Polak being a "pylon", and "slow." I have watched each game he has played and he is neither of those. To his credit, he has been very physical and has put his head down and caught rushing forwards.
Of course, this won't be mentioned. Truly short-sighted.

I have felt this exact same way every time I've seen him play. I read so much about how slow he was that I came to expect another Douglas Murray. He's not the fastest guy on the ice, but he is nowhere near the defensive liability he was presented to be in terms of speed.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
His physicality will be very helpful going forward. plus he is eating plenty of minutes.

vilpertti

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I have felt this exact same way every time I've seen him play. I read so much about how slow he was that I came to expect another Douglas Murray. He's not the fastest guy on the ice, but he is nowhere near the defensive liability he was presented to be in terms of speed.
Truth doesn't seem to matter on the internets, all that matters is your point of view and how things reinforce it.

Just like Hertl was a disaster pick per 90% of this board's draft experts because after his name was called, the guys on TSN said he has issues with skating.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Truth doesn't seem to matter on the internets, all that matters is your point of view and how things reinforce it.

Just like Hertl was a disaster pick per 90% of this board's draft experts because after his name was called, the guys on TSN said he has issues with skating.

idk I thought Hertl and Goldobin were both fairly popular on these boards. Recently Mueller and Meier were the picks people were unhappy with. Mueller because they moved up to get him and probably didn't have to and Meier because there were better players available.

You'll never get 100% of the people liking the pick unless you are drafting 1st overall but Hertl wasn't that negative of a pick at the time. Questions of skating, sure, but he was playing in a men's league already and part of our scouts European resurgence.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
idk I thought Hertl and Goldobin were both fairly popular on these boards. Recently Mueller and Meier were the picks people were unhappy with. Mueller because they moved up to get him and probably didn't have to and Meier because there were better players available.

You'll never get 100% of the people liking the pick unless you are drafting 1st overall but Hertl wasn't that negative of a pick at the time. Questions of skating, sure, but he was playing in a men's league already and part of our scouts European resurgence.

There was a lot of Teravainen hype in Hertl's year and I remember a lot of unhappiness revolving around that. Our prospect experts were pretty even keeled about that one.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I thought Goldobin was liked across our boards. But honestly, the pick was so far back in the 1st that we were not expecting much and were excited about getting a player with a high ceiling but could potentially be boom/bust.

I think Hertl was not liked as much as Goldobin because he was a bigger unknown. He was playing in Slavia Praha. I think his post draft interview definitely changed a lot of opinions though .. :)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I thought Goldobin was liked across our boards. But honestly, the pick was so far back in the 1st that we were not expecting much and were excited about getting a player with a high ceiling but could potentially be boom/bust.

I think Hertl was not liked as much as Goldobin because he was a bigger unknown. He was playing in Slavia Praha. I think his post draft interview definitely changed a lot of opinions though .. :)

Hertl was seen like Michalek was. The safe pick compared to someone like Teravainen who was and maybe still is seen as higher risk/higher reward. It was a status quo kind of pick because Hertl was supposedly closest to being NHL ready at that point.

Goldobin was so different than what they've ever really drafted just because of the Russian factor, the skill factor, and the fact that they traded down to get him. All things that are not normal for this management group in that spot.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I've really liked Polak so far. Nothing game changing obviously, but he's been exactly what you'd want out of a bottom-pairing guy. Him and Dillon have already made leaps and bounds in finding some chemistry together, and they should pay off in the playoffs. I think they are the perfect recipe for handling rough and tumble third/fourth lines from the Kings and Ducks.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California

Do you mean HC Sparta Praha? Slavia Praha is a football (soccer team).

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Anyone else been rather impressed with Polak? He's not slow at all. Hes willing to get hurt for the team, hes been a lot safer on the back end the last few weeks. I like the guy.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Anyone else been rather impressed with Polak? He's not slow at all. Hes willing to get hurt for the team, hes been a lot safer on the back end the last few weeks. I like the guy.

He plays as advertised. Hopefully the Sharks will retain his services.

Very happy with his acquisition.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

He's been solid. I think I let some of the doom-and-gloom of other posters get to me. He's exactly what TML fans said he would be

He plays as advertised. Hopefully the Sharks will retain his services.

Very happy with his acquisition.

Really hope Polak is resigned

However, I don't think the Sharks should resign him. He's not going to be very expensive, but the Sharks need to make room for DeMelo, Ryan, Roy, etc. There are already a lot of guys on D committed long-term (presuming Burns wants to stick around). If you extend Polak, you have to move another defenseman.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
He's been solid. I think I let some of the doom-and-gloom of other posters get to me. He's exactly what TML fans said he would be

However, I don't think the Sharks should resign him. He's not going to be very expensive, but the Sharks need to make room for DeMelo, Ryan, Roy, etc. There are already a lot of guys on D committed long-term (presuming Burns wants to stick around). If you extend Polak, you have to move another defenseman.

If Dillon has a bad post season id try to move him to recoup a second.

Much rather have polak sheltering the new crew than Dillon.

If the current Dillon is an anomaly then cool.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Dillon's okay most of the time but he's got the whipping boy thing going for him. I'm not particularly impressed by Polak. If nothing else, Dillon's already been capable of being a lot better than Polak has been historically. Realistically speaking, they're both not that great.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'd be all for signing Polak if it was at 2 years or less, but I don't see that happening.

He is pretty much what they need right now, though. Very happy they got him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be all for signing Polak if it was at 2 years or less, but I don't see that happening.

He is pretty much what they need right now, though. Very happy they got him.

He'd be exactly what they need if they can get a better and more offensive PMD to replace Dillon on the left side.

sda

Feb 18, 2008

Leaf fans tried to tell the world that Polak could skate but nobody wanted to believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad