Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Polak and Spaling from Leafs for Torres and two 2nds

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Even if you trade someone to get those picks, you still lose those picks for rentals. Imo, it's poor value no matter how Polak and Spaling do.

Man in the Mirror

Aug 4, 2011
Kings get lecavalier + luke schenn for a 3rd rounder.

Sharks get spaling + polak for two 2nds.

Wonder who the ducks will get

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
He wasn't as slow as I imagined he would be. But he and Dillion had a lot of problems getting the puck out of the zone like people predicted. That said the entire team seemed to have the problem vs the Avs speed, so hopefully it was just this one game rather then something we will see every game

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
He wasn't as slow as I imagined he would be. But he and Dillion had a lot of problems getting the puck out of the zone like people predicted. That said the entire team seemed to have the problem vs the Avs speed, so hopefully it was just this one game rather then something we will see every game

I thought they moved the puck decently under pressure. It was when they had some more time, and were passing the puck to each other, that they struggled. Polak kept on handing it to Dillon. Hopefully, he is just getting used to the system.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Polak's actually not really slow at all. It gets erroneously tagged on him because most of his fellow physical, defensive-defensemen are crap skaters so people expect him to be, too.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Polak's actually not really slow at all. It gets erroneously tagged on him because most of his fellow physical, defensive-defensemen are crap skaters so people expect him to be, too.

I was paying attention to his skating and he was perfectly fine. One thing I did notice about him though was that he would not make a pass out of the zone. He kept passing it back to Dillon. Not sure if this is something that he is just not comfortable with or he is just trying to build chemistry/timing with other players on the team before he can start making outlet passes.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I was paying attention to his skating and he was perfectly fine. One thing I did notice about him though was that he would not make a pass out of the zone. He kept passing it back to Dillon. Not sure if this is something that he is just not comfortable with or he is just trying to build chemistry/timing with other players on the team before he can start making outlet passes.

A lot of that is the lack of practice with this team. There's just timing issues he just wasn't ready for both in terms of spacing and anticipation.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Plus that contract.

I still think Lecavalier is a pretty good player, that contract has been a joke since the day it was signed though. Another Holmgren special, just like a bunch of other terrible ones.

No way he should have gotten a $5+ million deal @ FIVE years, at the age of 33 years old and after being bought out of another deal. The term was too long, should have been 3 years or for a million or maybe even $1.5 million less at that length.

Lecavalier might actually be one of the highest paid players in the league right now, and for the next few years/last few years. Not sure how much he's getting in his buyout from Tampa per year. Combine that money with his $5.5 million now, he's probably getting a whole lot. LAK is screwed if he does go back on retiring after this year. He takes up too much cap space.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I thought Polak showed a lot to be optimistic about. He showed the physicality that was expected in front of the net, he was taking shots, communicating, moving pretty well in the offensive zone and his skating actually looked pretty good. There were some things that he didn't look too comfortable with that should change after some practice and time with the team. Passing out the defensive zone, who to cover.

Then Spaling is actually looking like a nice pickup for the bottom 6 right now. A lot of energy out there and his goal was a beauty of a shot.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
This was way too good not to share. :)

There was just a main board post about Spaling scoring his first goal with us. He asked if anyone knew of a player who scored his first goal ever with a team since going there, then got traded and scored another goal the next game in the first game with his new team. Someone said he thinks no one knows the answer to that, and another person responded "Pierre Maguire might." To which the following epic post was made as a reply:

"Well the real question Dave, is which league. You got the NHL, sure. But listen Sparky, I wanna talk about the the The Lake Muskegon Fury outta Michigan. The UHL. I'm talking about the team that lost to the Danbury Trashers in the 2005-2006 playoffs in their bid for a third consecutive Colonial Cup championship. What some folks don't know, Alli, is that Jason Lawmaster, who by the way was a MONSTER outta Sherwood Park Alberta, same hometown as Tyson Nash, former Kamloops Blazer, and teammate and best friend as Shane Doan, who is a MONSTER. Anyway, Dave, Lawmaster, kid scored A FEW goals in his day, let me tell you! Just a monster! He could rock'em, sock'em and bury'em. Anyway, he had that farmer strength, ya'know? Just COUNTRY STRONG, he was. Body like it was chiseled from granite, coated in marble, and polished daily by teenaged virgins. And he's definitely a guy who NEVER scored two 1st goals in consecutive nights for two different teams. It NEVER HAPPENED for him. Not for Jason Lawmaster. Not my Jasey Jase. No way. There may be some guys that have. But he's DEFINITELY not one of 'Em!"

I about bust a gut laughing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Absolutely perfect. :)

Here's the link to that post if you want to comment in that thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=114409679&postcount=6

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

<where's the "shield" emoji?>

People still don't get it.
The other 2nd was for Reimer. They staggered announcing it. Wilson intentionally drove the market prices up.
A day later Lombardi publicly stated rental prices were too high and traded for worthless Scuderi. Immediately after, "Reimer to sharks for the cap dumps + mid conditional pick.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
People still don't get it.
The other 2nd was for Reimer. They staggered announcing it. Wilson intentionally drove the market prices up.
A day later Lombardi publicly stated rental prices were too high and traded for worthless Scuderi. Immediately after, "Reimer to sharks for the cap dumps + mid conditional pick.

Does not matter. People are not going to get it. Heck, I was listening to NHL Center Ice (on Sirius XM) yesterday on my way back from work and they were talking about the Polak trade as an overpayment. But then they talk about Reimer as being a steal.

Well .. **** .. 2 + 2 is that same as 1 + 3. That is exactly how I see this trade as.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Polak acquisition has provided a unique opportunity to compare HFB-think versus the eyeball test. Polak's skating is fine and he is starting to get with the system and did a good job of making break out passes or skating the puck out of the zone last night. If he can get his point shots through to the net with greater regularity, he will round out really nicely. I think He and Dillon could very easily become one of the best bottom pairings in the NHL.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Polak acquisition has provided a unique opportunity to compare HFB-think versus the eyeball test. Polak's skating is fine and he is starting to get with the system and did a good job of making break out passes or skating the puck out of the zone last night. If he can get his point shots through to the net with greater regularity, he will round out really nicely. I think He and Dillon could very easily become one of the best bottom pairings in the NHL.

Right now, the bigger problem on the bottom pairing has been how Dillon has played after his return from injury. Hoping he can get back to his pre-injury form. That will make for a pretty good bottom-D pairing.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
What I seem to have noticed with Dillon playing sub-par since his return is he keeps reaching for pucks along the wall instead of reaching AND skating, just that missing half stride or so ends up leaving the puck just out of his reach and then the his coverage of the puck and or forechecker is blown. What was the injury he was out of lineup for? Lowerbody?

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away

I think this needs to be re-introduced.
Many were up in arms about Polak being a "pylon", and "slow." I have watched each game he has played and he is neither of those. To his credit, he has been very physical and has put his head down and caught rushing forwards.
Of course, this won't be mentioned. Truly short-sighted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad