Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Maxim Letunov and a 2017 6th from Coyotes for 2016 4th nd 2017 3rd

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't now why everyone is bringing up this whole "sign-ability difficulty" thing. From Chayka's quote it was pretty clear that they didn't want to sign him.

His worth a lot more in a trade signed to an ELC, than unsigned. We can bet that Yotes, and the other team that drafted him would have preferred to sign him, regardless if they intend to trade or not.

The only circumstances I could foresee of a club not wanting to sign a player is due to the 50 and 90 player maximums.

Any way, trading a 3rd round pick (and unprotected?) for the rights to negotiate and sign a prospect that never played professional hockey seems high to me. Particularly when considering that two teams failed to sign him prior.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't want him if they Sharks weren't pretty sure they could sign him.

If the Sharks didn't think he was a relatively sure bet to sign, they wouldn't have traded for him, simple as that. Things can change but as of now I feel extremely confident he'll get signed when he's ready.

His worth a lot more in a trade signed to an ELC, than unsigned. We can bet that Yotes, and the other team that drafted him would have preferred to sign him, regardless if they intend to trade or not.

The only circumstances I could foresee of a club not wanting to sign a player is due to the 50 and 90 player maximums.

Any way, trading a 3rd round pick (and unprotected?) for the rights to negotiate and sign a prospect that never played professional hockey seems high to me.

Because Letunov doesn't have to sign until like August 2018, for the pick to be "protected" it would have to be a 2019 pick at the earliest, so obviously that's not an option.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Here is the blurb from TSN on the trade.

The San Jose Sharks have acquired forward Max Letunov and a sixth-round pick in 2017 from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for a fourth-round pick this year and a third-round pick in 20167.
Letunov, 20, scored 16 goals and added 24 assists in his first year at the University of Connecticut last season.
He was selected by the St. Louis Blues in the second round (52nd overall) of the 2014 draft.
The right-handed centre was born in Moscow, Russia.

I love it. :laugh: I didn't know we could trade a pick 18,000 years into the future.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Wilson just circumvented the CBA by trading a pick that far out.

Can't wait for the penalty of losing all our draft picks for 10000 years.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
I find it funny that Letunov went 52nd in the draft and we picked Rod 53rd, I wonder if Letunov was their original target. I bet he was at least high on their list. DW tends to covet particular players long term.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I find it funny that Letunov went 52nd in the draft and we picked Rod 53rd, I wonder if Letunov was their original target. I bet he was at least high on their list. DW tends to covet particular players long term.

Thats what scares me about the Rick Nash rumor. I believe he really wanted him when Columbus was originally shopping him.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Strange, cuz I see these kinds of moves as less of a project than drafting.

I mean I wouldn't bat an eye at a move in 2014 for…

2014 2nd
2017 6th

in exchange for…

2016 4th
2017 3rd

AND that 2014 2nd is already looking as or more promising than the Sharks 2014 2nd one pick later.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
First reaction:

Dr-Evil-Saying-Cool.gif

Now sign him.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California

2014 2nd
2017 6th

in exchange for…

2016 4th
2017 3rd

AND that 2014 2nd is already looking as or more promising than the Sharks 2014 2nd one pick later.
Yep, I'm in this camp. I don't really understand why some people are upset that Wilson 'lost' a pick when we basically got a 2nd rounder who has increased his value slightly, AND is two years ahead in development/closer to the AHL/NHL than anyone we would have picked this year. Kind of like the Sadowy deal. Detroit got a third round pick that has tracked well and will be three years ahead in development of whoever we take in the third round in 2017. Smart move by DW.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

2014 2nd
2017 6th

in exchange for…

2016 4th
2017 3rd

Don't sleep on Rod. We don't know how to evaluate his development because of where he plays, but he's got skill and he's a pest. I'm hoping he's a Torres-lite without all the suspensions.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Don't sleep on Rod. We don't know how to evaluate his development because of where he plays, but he's got skill and he's a pest. I'm hoping he's a Torres-lite without all the suspensions.

I phrased that poorly. Had much less to do with Rod, and everything to do with picking up the guy that went just before him.

I don't like that Rod has expressed that he doesn't want to come to NA unless he's in the NHL, but then again, that's where the Sharks have been picking up these castaways lately.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Difference is Karlsson, Donskoi and Sorensen were really good players in their leagues. Rod has made very little impact. Big year for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad