Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Maxim Letunov and a 2017 6th from Coyotes for 2016 4th nd 2017 3rd

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Could but these types of trades are more effective with those picks for this organization. Someone with a little more of a proven track record and a better way to project where they're going. The Sharks suck in the 3rd and 4th rounds and I don't mind them using those picks for these types of solutions.

A noteworthy thing here is that the 3rd that they're using is the 3rd that the team got for trading Dylan Sadowy so the team is still able to use some offer sheet brackets with their own 3rd still here.

Good but do the Sharks know if he will sign? Could they talk to the player or his agent before the trade? I would think not as he is Coyote property.

I will be very unhappy if he doesn't want to sign here. But maybe he will be best friends with Goldobin.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Good but do the Sharks know if he will sign? Could they talk to the player or his agent before the trade? I would think not as he is Coyote property.

I will be very unhappy if he doesn't want to sign here. But maybe he will be best friends with Goldobin.

Here's a quote from Doug. He said he's excited, so that seems good.

“He’s excited to be here. We think he’s a great fit,†Sharks general manager Doug Wilson said on a conference call with reporters Monday. “We’re going to get him bigger and stronger as he progresses through his college career. He’s really a player that we identified that fits our needs going forward.â€

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Do they know? Probably not but chances are that after a deal is put in place for compensation that they're given an opportunity to talk to the kid's agent and assess the situation then. I think this route with this player has a better shot at panning out than the 3rd and 4th would which is partly why I like the deal. The player and his talents are definitely a big part but this type of deal makes sense. If they get him signed, it's a steal. If they don't and they lose out on a 3rd and 4th that they have had bad odds on converting in their history, that's the cost of doing business and taking a chance.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Alright who is this "Doug Wilson" and what happened to the DW we all know and have mixed opinions on.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Do they know? Probably not but chances are that after a deal is put in place for compensation that they're given an opportunity to talk to the kid's agent and assess the situation then. I think this route with this player has a better shot at panning out than the 3rd and 4th would which is partly why I like the deal. The player and his talents are definitely a big part but this type of deal makes sense. If they get him signed, it's a steal. If they don't and they lose out on a 3rd and 4th that they have had bad odds on converting in their history, that's the cost of doing business and taking a chance.

He can't have an agent. That's an NCAA rules violation.

Evil Janney

Jul 12, 2004
You might say he was letunov the hook.

200_s.gif

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I like it! This guy has been on the upswing since his draft year and we are running a little dry on center prospects. As long as we can sign him...

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Interesting prospect. Hockey's Future has him at a 7.5c, which is the same as Goldobin, that also makes him our highest rated center prospect in their ranking system. The kid has tons of skill, but DW is right to point out that he needs to bulk up as that seems to be a universally agreed point of criticism. If he does pan out he could be a decent top 6 center for us in a post Jumbo era.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Alright who is this "Doug Wilson" and what happened to the DW we all know and have mixed opinions on.

Like I stated months ago, aliens kidnapped the real Doug Wilson and left an imposter in his place. AFAIC, aliens can keep the real DW. I like the imposter better. :handclap:

Actually though, this trade smells like the prospect would not sign with the Yotes, and Yotes GM went shopping. DW probably talked with the prospect and felt comfortable enough that he would sign with the Sharks.

From my view, Sharks are probably in the upper 50 percentile of bringing prospects up quicker lately. And the Yotes apparently have significant depth at the center position that would delay the prospect in their system.

I hope the 3rd round pick is protected in case he does not sign, though. Since he's russian, he could play in the KHL for awhile after college, imo.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Like I stated months ago, aliens kidnapped the real Doug Wilson and left an imposter in his place. AFAIC, aliens can keep the real DW. I like the imposter better. :handclap:

Actually though, this trade smells like the prospect would not sign with the Yotes, and Yotes GM went shopping. DW probably talked with the prospect and felt comfortable enough that he would sign with the Sharks.

From my view, Sharks are probably in the upper 50 percentile of bringing prospects up quicker lately. And the Yotes apparently have significant depth at the center position that would delay the prospect in their system.

I hope the 3rd round pick is protected in case he does not sign, though. Since he's russian, he could play in the KHL for awhile after college, imo.

The fact that he's playing in an American college of all places is a good sign that he's probably gonna stick around.

Also a pretty good accent.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Don't know anything about Letunov, but Coyotes fans seem to think they didn't get enough for him, so I guess that's a win?

I am good with this trade and I hope they sign him and get him into the AHL next year.

I think it's the fact of he's only played one year in college (3 more possible) and he didn't fit in the plans of the Coyotes near/long term.

So, the Sharks make the trade with the long term in mind. IOW the Sharks have the depth "now" to wait for him to develop.

(Also, with the new AZ GM, his stats may not fulfill the hole they had him pegged for.)

So AZ didn't get Max value ?

I see a Max Headroom GDT in the future. (Wonder if someone will put out the effort to do a video for the OP. :naughty: Good thing that's not my skill.)

"20 minutes into the future"

He can't have an agent. That's an NCAA rules violation.

But you can have a family advisor (that becomes your "pro" agent when you leave college).

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
The fact that he's playing in an American college of all places is a good sign that he's probably gonna stick around.

He also played two years in the USHL before that, so it wouldn't seem like he wants to play outside NA.

What's the deal with the rights to college players? I assume the Sharks have some priority for signing him before he becomes a UFA, or have his rights for some amount of time before he would go on the market, right?

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
HockeyDB lists him as a righty, but UConn lists him as a lefty.
That is strange. He's a lefty though as you can see in highlights.

He also played two years in the USHL before that, so it wouldn't seem like he wants to play outside NA.

What's the deal with the rights to college players? I assume the Sharks have some priority for signing him before he becomes a UFA, or have his rights for some amount of time before he would go on the market, right?
Sharks have his rights (therefore ability to sign) until August 15 after he graduates. He'll be a sophomore so the Sharks will technically hold his rights until August 15, 2019 assuming he stays all four years, which is unlikely. They can sign him to an ELC any time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

From CBA

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
That is strange. He's a lefty though as you can see in highlights.

Sharks have his rights (therefore ability to sign) until August 15 after he graduates. He'll be a sophomore so the Sharks will technically hold his rights until August 15, 2019 assuming he stays all four years, which is unlikely. They can sign him to an ELC any time.

Thanks to both of you!

So it sounds like at worst, even if he leaves early, the Sharks have his rights until 4 years after he was drafted (assuming I understand the second part of the CBA correctly), which would be 2018 (August). And since it says "graduation of his college class" it sounds like even if he were to finish school early or something the Sharks would still have his rights until then. So, seems unlikely the Sharks wouldn't be able to sign him if they wanted to, especially if he wants to play pro earlier than 4 years after being drafted.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Here's a quote from Doug. He said he's excited, so that seems good.

So it seems like he'll be at UConn at least one more year.

I don't now why everyone is bringing up this whole "sign-ability difficulty" thing. From Chayka's quote it was pretty clear that they didn't want to sign him.

The whole "signing overseas" thing is a lazy excuse. He's only a rising sophomore and he's played in America for 5 years. If he wasn't Russian we wouldn't be having this conversation...

We still hold his rights for (at least) 2 years guys...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad