Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Maxim Letunov and a 2017 6th from Coyotes for 2016 4th nd 2017 3rd

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Difference is Karlsson, Donskoi and Sorensen were really good players in their leagues. Rod has made very little impact. Big year for him.

I'll be very surprised if Rod ever makes the NHL.

Rod played this entire last season as a 19 year old. He just turned 20 on June 7th. None of those guys were doing much at the same age, except maybe Donskoi, and he's amazing. Rod's very young for his draft year, and I think he deserves a little more time before we declare his fate.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yeah but he's also playing in the 4th or 5th best Euro league.

True, but he hasn't been given much opportunity to play an offensive role yet in Geneva. I'm hoping the Sharks will talk to him about transferring to another team in Europe, or maybe even convince him to play in the AHL. The fact that he'd be in San Jose with Timo and Mirco, no matter which team he's on, could be a selling point.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
True, but he hasn't been given much opportunity to play an offensive role yet in Geneva. I'm hoping the Sharks will talk to him about transferring to another team in Europe, or maybe even convince him to play in the AHL. The fact that he'd be in San Jose with Timo and Mirco, no matter which team he's on, could be a selling point.

he would of had that opportunity no matter what even when he said it was nhl or europe.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The fact that he hasn't been given much of an opportunity in that league is in itself a concern and a reason why I'd be surprised if he made it to the NHL. I hope I'm surprised but I just don't see it with him.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The fact that he hasn't been given much of an opportunity in that league is in itself a concern and a reason why I'd be surprised if he made it to the NHL. I hope I'm surprised but I just don't see it with him.

It would seem that him playing on lower lines has more to do with his age, development and the fact that he's playing against men than his actual potential. It's not like he's Auston Matthews, otherwise he wouldn't have been a 2nd round pick. He did very well in World juniors playing against players his own age. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that he makes it, but it seems awfully early to declare that he won't.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It would seem that him playing on lower lines has more to do with his age, development and the fact that he's playing against men than his actual potential. It's not like he's Auston Matthews, otherwise he wouldn't have been a 2nd round pick. He did very well in World juniors playing against players his own age. I'm not saying it's a guarantee that he makes it, but it seems awfully early to declare that he won't.

It is also his 3rd year on the team. Moving up the ranks in lower leagues should still be happening.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Rod did play in the top-6 (second line) for a lot of the year. Also played PK. Production wasn't great but it was a very nice improvement from last year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

It can be in some instances but the ones that have a considerable amount of talent or are getting it will still make jumps in the Swiss league. While they are men and it can be difficult to adjust, he will be moved up if he earns it. The competition level in the Swiss league isn't great so it's something that he should be able to advance in. He can certainly be a late bloomer. That happens enough to not discount that possibility but if he's having issues breaking through in the Swiss league, he will likely have issues breaking through a tougher league like the AHL and hopefully the NHL. I'm not declaring that he won't do it. I'm just saying it'd be a surprise to me if he did.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Where do people think he falls in our prospect rankings? Top 10? Top 5?
I think Meier, Goldobin, Roy must be above him. After that I assume it would be heavily debated based on what people value (how close he is to NHL minutes vs. top potential).

Personally I'd probably put him at #4 behind the 3 above. Labanc and Brodzinski are close and I'd understand putting them ahead. Chartier's injuries concern me otherwise I'd possibly put him ahead too. Mueller's upside has decreased too much in my mind so I can't put him above Letunov.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I think Meier, Goldobin, Roy must be above him. After that I assume it would be heavily debated based on what people value (how close he is to NHL minutes vs. top potential).

Personally I'd probably put him at #4 behind the 3 above. Labanc and Brodzinski are close and I'd understand putting them ahead. Chartier's injuries concern me otherwise I'd possibly put him ahead too. Mueller's upside has decreased too much in my mind so I can't put him above Letunov.

I still count Demelo as a prospect so I'd say Heed, Demelo and Sorenson are above Letunov.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I still count Demelo as a prospect so I'd say Heed, Demelo and Sorenson are above Letunov.

Forgot Heed. Would probably put him above, not Demelo though even if considered a prospect. I don't see much more than 5th/6th d-man upside for him. Based on what I've heard/read, Letunov has top 6 potential if he fills out and fine tunes his game a bit.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Forgot Heed. Would probably put him above, not Demelo though even if considered a prospect. I don't see much more than 5th/6th d-man upside for him. Based on what I've heard/read, Letunov has top 6 potential if he fills out and fine tunes his game a bit.

I don't know if I would include Heed and Sorensen. They're 25 and 24 respectively, so not really prospects. Personally I'd have Letunov probably in the 4-6 range.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

Goldobin, Roy & Meier are easily the top 3.

I think Labanc, Brodzinski, O'Regan, Chartier & Letunov are in the next group and based on what I've seen of them Labanc would be my #4 followed by Chartier/Letunov, Brodzinski, O'Regan.

Helewka, Ryan, Mueller Bergman, Fitzgerald would be in the next group.

If Heed & Sorensen are considered prospects they'd probably be in my top 5 right now.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
The fact that he's playing in an American college of all places is a good sign that he's probably gonna stick around.

Also a pretty good accent.

Can't watch this video, I tried multiple times and it just crashes by browser

went on youtube to try and watch it and again it crashed my browser.

but I can watch other videos, trippy >.>

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad