Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Anthony Duclair from Florida for Steven Lorentz + 2025 5th rounder

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It's not a fleecing; it's taking advantage of the cap being what it is. The Sharks are just weaponizing their cap space in a way they should have been doing for a long time.
Especially since Duclair will not be a meaningful part of the next good Sharks' team, so we're moving one deadline asset for another, hopefully (but not definitely) more valuable deadline asset.

It's a fleecing if the Sharks were already a competitor. This is likely just upgrading from a 4th and high 5th to a late 2nd.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What does Lorenz do well?
He exists. He doesn't really make any mistakes, but he doesn't have any offensive acumen, he's not a great skater, he doesn't win faceoffs, he's not a bruiser. Just a replacement-level defensive 4th liner.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
It's not a fleecing; it's taking advantage of the cap being what it is. The Sharks are just weaponizing their cap space in a way they should have been doing for a long time.
I don't see how the weaponization of cap space would mean that the trade is not considered a fleecing. The Sharks got an excellent deal in this trade in terms of what they acquired and gave up therefore it is a fleecing.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't see how the weaponization of cap space would mean that the trade is not considered a fleecing. The Sharks got an excellent deal in this trade in terms of what they acquired and gave up therefore it is a fleecing.
Well that’s all contingent on Duclair both staying healthy and consistent with his last full season and not return to the guy who has like 60 goals in his first 5 seasons.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Well that’s all contingent on Duclair both staying healthy and consistent with his last full season and not return to the guy who has like 60 goals in his first 5 seasons.
Well sure, there is a risk to the trade but I still think the Sharks got excellent value. Even if Duclair sucks at the end of the day the team took a smart risk and it didn't work out, they gave up a solid fourth liner and a 5th round pick that is fine by me.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well sure, there is a risk to the trade but I still think the Sharks got excellent value. Even if Duclair sucks at the end of the day the team took a smart risk and it didn't work out, they gave up a solid fourth liner and a 5th round pick that is fine by me.
Oh don’t get me wrong. The value was great. But I don’t see it as a fleecing. It’s a trade that only a team like the sharks can make and not a team that’s competing and needs to use every dollar wisely. His situation is the most ideal trade deadline scenario I could think of. If he’s good a contender wants him. If he struggles or is injured then he’s gone after the season anyways, but Florida certainly couldn’t afford to risk not knowing.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Oh don’t get me wrong. The value was great. But I don’t see it as a fleecing. It’s a trade that only a team like the sharks can make and not a team that’s competing and needs to use every dollar wisely. His situation is the most ideal trade deadline scenario I could think of. If he’s good a contender wants him. If he struggles or is injured then he’s gone after the season anyways, but Florida certainly couldn’t afford to risk not knowing.
Thats reasonable. Ultimately it is just nomenclature and it fleece vs. non-fleece doesn't matter.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Thats reasonable. Ultimately it is just nomenclature and it fleece vs. non-fleece doesn't matter.
Agreed. It’s like the Max Pax signing for 2 million. If he doesn’t recover it’s a shitty deal. If he’s healthy and puts up 30 then it’s a steal.

Fleast

• Haha

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Agreed. It’s like the Max Pax signing for 2 million. If he doesn’t recover it’s a shitty deal. If he’s healthy and puts up 30 then it’s a steal.
I am also someone who cares more about the process than the result in these moves. This a good process that Grier is using and even if it doesn't work out it was a smart gamble.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Diamonds for dirty pond water is a fleecing unless you're stranded in the desert...

• Haha

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
"I'm trading him at the deadline, but that is probably not the best way to welcome our new addition."
I’m curious of Duclair’s mood at the moment. That first discussion with Grier could‘ve gave off a certain vibe. Pure conjecture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad